What's Your Favorite 45 ACP powder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    What is your favorite powder/load for 45 acp reloads? Favorite powder in general?

I'm also interested in hearing what your loads are for 230 grain Bayou Bullets.

A little history, I've always reloaded 45 acp with my dad and uncle. I'm about to get started with my own reloading setup and looking for a bit of guidance.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I like to use WST for .45 ACP. I also use this powder for 9mm & 40 S&W as well. Not saying it's the best for all three but it works for me and I know I'm using the correct powder as it's the only one on the bench.
    You have a plethora of powders to chose from. Right now it's more about what you can get not what you want.

Beauxdog

fscroggs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    I have used Winchester 231 for years. When it became hard to get, I was able to get some Vihtavouri N320. It is a good substitute although a bit more expensive.

Using plated 230 gr RN, I use 5.1 gr of 231 or 5.0 gr of N320 and shoot from a Kimber 1911 5" barrel.
    These loads make major power factor for USPSA.

Frank

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I like Bullseye or HP-38/W231 for .45acp loads. Other powders work well too.

For Bayou Bullets, just look in you manual for data for cast bullets of the same weight.

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Beauxdog is steering you straight. Get what you can get now so you can start making smoke. You can get "best for you" as other stuff becomes available. Getting something that can be used in several things will give you some extra flexibility. Get what you can get and then starting to use up what you have is way more fun than waiting on unobtainium.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I started using 700X because I had so much of it around from loading 12ga. Easy to get. It's actually pretty good for .45acp (especially with lead bullets). There are lots of pet Bullseye loads using it.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Thank you for your help guys. As I've always been the press operator and never the one buying the components, can you recommend a place in the BR area to look for powders & primers? I've heard good things about LA reloading, but don't really know of anywhere else.

If it helps with answering any of my questions, I intend for these rounds to be fired through a couple 5" barreled 1911's and a G21 Lone Wolf barrel. After that I'll try them out in a couple Sig's.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I haven't tried anyone yet. Just trying to find suggestions on where to start my hunt for components.

I have a good bit of brass on hand that my buddy and I have collected from our shooting trips over the last couple of years.

Thanks again for your help.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Bryan @ La. Reloading will be a ton of help. I buy most of my components from La. Reloading. When the powder crunch and primer crunch started I had plenty of Bullseye and Win231 on hand, loading with Bullseye for 35 years. Has always been my go to powder for 45acp and 38 special wadcutter target loads. Now you cant find either powder. Have switched to 700x for my 45acp loads. La Reloading seems to have a good supply along with Bayou Bullits. Have been shooting 230gr RN with 4.5 gr of 700x and its running 720-740 fps and is very accurate in 5" 1911's. My only issue with it is it doesn't meter as nice as Bullseye or 231. Ordering online cost much more because of Hazmat and shipping fees. The Big Box stores around town don't really stock reloading components, its a sideline. Stick with local La. Reloading and you can check in here under site sponsors and get an update on when powders hit the shelf.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    B
    What is your favorite powder/load for 45 acp reloads? Favorite powder in general?

I'm also interested in hearing what your loads are for 230 grain Bayou Bullets.

A little history, I've always reloaded 45 acp with my dad and uncle. I'm about to get started with my own reloading setup and looking for a bit of guidance.
    Been reloading for sometime now on my 2 trusty Dillon 650s. Tried everything for 45 acp but what I settled on was clays. It is accurate,clean and meters well. I use donnys bayou bullets 230 lead coated. 3.8-4.0 gr clays is where you want to be. It is the cleanest powder I ever used. And with donnys bullets hardly any smoke if any. Don't go less than 3.5-3.6 because you start seeing unburnt flakes. Also wsf is very good in 45 but is dirty. Right now get what you can until powder comes back around. Just don't buy a bunch of different powders that might not work for you. I would say 3 or so.

Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    Of all the powders I have tested, 231/HP38 is both the most accurate and the most accurate over the range of charge weights.
    Next would be AA2 and Red Dot. Unique can be wonderful at 5.0 and 6.0 grains, if your gun likes it.
    WST has been a flub in my 1911s. N310 and Clays are accurate only over a range of +/- 0.1gn, and not that consistent.
    Haven't tested Bullseye in decades, but it is THE .45 powder.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom