Wheel Bearing Failed in 4 days ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    Did a service in my kids full size Chev 8 days ago. Only hint there was a problem was a scrape, thought it was the ceramic brakes, Didn't see anything. 4 days after that the wheel falls over (about 10 degrees)!:eek3:

I've never seen a bearing fail this bad before. What a mess! Easy fix though.

Biv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Wow! I had one fail in my 93 Chevy truck, but it didn't look like that. I am assuming your kid is ok?

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    This happened on Siegen by 1 - 10. He is okay, knows it was dangerous to others though. He was able to pull in into a store lot. Get this, the bearing is sealed not grease-able. That'd be nice, they cost $130. Replaced the other side x2 so far. I tell you this one went out fast and hard.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Just a shot in the dark but is he running mudgrips? It is challenging to differentiate between bearing and tire noises.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    any thoughts on going to a bearing shop (like motion industries in baton rouge) and getting one? you could probably get it cheaper and get a better bearing that isn't sealed.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Can you change just the bearing? When mine went out I had to get the whole hub. Went from no noticeable problem to limping it home without warning. Wouldn't want to try an unsealed bearing, it would be next to impossible to keep the mud/dirt out of them.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    any thoughts on going to a bearing shop (like motion industries in baton rouge) and getting one? you could probably get it cheaper and get a better bearing that isn't sealed.

Thought of that for a minute. With the wheel speed sensor for the ABS I thought it best to keep it stock. It's only going to be rolling for a few more bearings, I mean years. :D

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    Evidence of rust and it appear dry will do it. What 'service' did you perform?

Oil & Filter, topped up coolant, new wipers, Glass care, K&N cleaned, Polished plastic headlight lenses, washed the mud off as much as possible. Checked the 4X4 fluids and all the bulbs.

Whats left of the bearing was not rusted when first assessed, the bare steel flash rusted over the night in the rain. As did the new rotor.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That happens when someone blasts the grease right out of the bearing, or doesn't pack with the right grease. I wouldn't expect it to happen often, though. You can also kill them if you don't tighten the hub nut all the way down.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    That happens when someone blasts the grease right out of the bearing, or doesn't pack with the right grease. I wouldn't expect it to happen often, though. You can also kill them if you don't tighten the hub nut all the way down.

They say the replacement non serviceable bearings mostly fail due to incorrect torque on the axle nut. I got this one as close to 177lbs as two people could muster. The original lasted 150K with lots of use off road.

A serviceable bearing would be ideal in this application though. One grease zerk would save allot of effort.

Top Bottom