When did Trigger Finger Discipline go mainstream?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This is a question for the old timers. When did trigger finger discipline come on the scene? Has the straight finger method always been around?

3424ci4ft4bdx68ykup7.jpg

I ask because I don't remember being taught it when I was young. I had hunters safety (1984-ish) in Junior High and also earlier while I was in scouts. I didn't actually learn to point my finger straight until I got into shooting later in life and it took a lot of work for me to break the habit of putting my finger inside the trigger guard.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm 29 and I've been taught "finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire" since I was single-digit-years-old, and my dad only learned what he has from old revolver and cowboy shooters and magazines, as his family wasn't big on guns in early ages.

The NRA mags have always had their "10 commandments" in their propaganda rags since I was old enough to thumb through the ones my dad got. My dad used those '10 commandments' (which are the 4 safety rules and some basic hunting tips really) to teach me safety as I began hunting. My hunter's ed course when I was like 11 or 12, included the safety rule about your trigger finger, and included that you never even take the gun off safe until you're shouldering, or shouldered the rifle.

My dad got into shooting and hunting when he was around 25 and moved out to the boonies where he could do it more casually, which would be around 1980.

/random-anecdote-in-time

The way I understand it, it was ol Jeff Cooper that standardized and condensed those safety rules in his hay-day of really introducing realistic and intelligent training practices for the time.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't ever remember anyone ever telling me that as a general rule of firearms handling when I was younger for sure and/or before I started USPSA! Agreed I saw it in older magazines like Outdoor life in the early 80's, but it was not expounded on by peers.

At 50, I will say commonplace was the early to mid 2000's for me. Most assuredly it was commonplace in my exploits with USPSA and NRA. And EVERYDAY NOW!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to address your last part. Gomez stressed an interesting fact about this. Our brains, especially under stress, cannot think in "negatives". In other words trying to remember "keep my finger out of the trigger guard" simply doesn't work. You have to replace that with another "positive" thought. Instead of just floating your finger out there along the frame, give it a specific place to go. Something tactile and repeatable. For example on Glocks, I stipple the area just behind the rail and use that. Many people use the ejection port.

So basically instead of my finger simply being "outside of the trigger guard" it's actively engaging it's "I'm not shooting right now" spot.

It's the little things that make a huge difference. ;)

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to address your last part. Gomez stressed an interesting fact about this. Our brains, especially under stress, cannot think in "negatives". In other words trying to remember "keep my finger out of the trigger guard" simply doesn't work. You have to replace that with another "positive" thought. Instead of just floating your finger out there along the frame, give it a specific place to go. Something tactile and repeatable. For example on Glocks, I stipple the area just behind the rail and use that. Many people use the ejection port.

So basically instead of my finger simply being "outside of the trigger guard" it's actively engaging it's "I'm not shooting right now" spot.

It's the little things that make a huge difference. ;)

That certainly would have been helpful to me back then. It would have made my re-education much easier. Nowadays, anything I pick up with a pistol grip activates my trigger discipline. Like this poster:

bxiai9zlma059jsatf1f.jpg

Even when I was a med-jockey at the VA, when I used a bar code scanner my finger just automatically stuck out straight when i wasn't scanning.

Oh and while searching for images on google, I found this one demonstrating poor trigger discipline. I love that scene!

ywoaur4m9beem5t7qxj.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That certainly would have been helpful to me back then. It would have made my re-education much easier. Nowadays, anything I pick up with a pistol grip activates my trigger discipline.

Make a few tweaks and apply it to the flicking motion that propels cigarettes out of your vehicle too! :p

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I was taught that when I first learned to shoot which would have been in the late 90s or so. I would have been 7 or 8 at the time probably.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Seriously though; the lack of response on this question is telling!?!

Well I've also been thinking that all of the hunter or firearm safety classes I took back then, none of them involved handguns nor any rifle with a pistol grip. It may have just been understood that you gripped the rifle or shotgun with your whole hand around the stock and that you didn't slide forward and put your finger on the bang switch until you were ready to shoot. I also remember that they did hammer into us about putting the safety on until you were ready to shoot. There may have been an over reliance on the safety mechanism back then.

I have another semi-related question for the old farts. Do any of you that keep a revolver handy still keep an empty cylinder in front of the hammer? My dad still does this, even though his S&W has a transfer bar.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    60 yrs old. Was given my first BB gun at 6, my first .22 at 8 and my first shotgun at about the same time. I was always taught to never point a gun at something I wasn't going to shoot, never load the gun until your in the field, and to always verify that the gun was empty when the shooting day was over. Finger in the trigger guard was never mentioned.

If I'm going to carry a single action revolver then yes I still leave the cylinder under the hammer empty. At the range I load all 6

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So here's a question for the older, more experienced, or more well-read among us regarding military training. I'd always been told that there really was no formal firearms training in the private world to speak of, until Jeff Coopers era. So the only training was gotten in the military; even police forces had little to speak of outside of a few select areas (so I'm told.. again I'm 29, it's not like I was there to know)

Is it true that the old training for rifleman was that they carried with their finger in the trigger guard? I've seen the pictures of Viet Nam era US soldiers carrying their M16s and their finger is in the trigger guard. It seemed like "one of those things" they learned from eventually, like sticking your elbow straight out, if that's also true of combat training.

I don't know the difference, here, between myth based on out-of-context photos, actual historical training that's changed, and whatever else may be true.

Could it be that military training is what impacted civilian practices, if anything did, and that the 'finger on the trigger' thing didn't change until the military changed it? If so, when could that have been?

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I started shooting in the early-mid 80's sometime and "keep the finger off the trigger" until ready to shoot was gospel and I doubt that was a new idea at that time. The difference seems to be the direct instruction of physically what to do with the finger while "it's off the trigger". I don't remember anyone ever talking about or seeing people keeping the finger straight along the gun like is commonplace now. I'm sure some people were doing it then but I wasn't aware of it.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I started shooting uspsa, I honestly don't remember before that where I kept my finger, you can see where I keep my finger on my pistol now!!

Top Bottom