When guns come up in casual conversation?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I have been in a couple of social situations lately where the topic of guns has came up (think work holiday parties, extended family gathering, etc.), and I want to know how you handle these situations? One involved a conversation between 2 or 3 people around me where one person mentions an attempted break in at their home, and another says they need to get a gun and goes on to suggest the Taurus Judge, etc. Anyway I did not want to get drawn into the having some big best defensive gun debate in front of subject of the advice (a person that knows basic gun safety, took a CCW class a couple of years ago, but is not a gun person), but at the same time have real reservations about the Judge being much more than a marketing gimick. Since then I have had a regret about not speaking up, but at the same time I am not sure what I could have said to improve the situation, any thoughts?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's always better to stick to what you actually know from experience. Life has far too many embellishments in it already.

Here is a shameless plug: Steer them here.

There are some folks who actually have knowledge on here. Case and point, I don't know that much about barrel twists, and what they can actually do to make me a better long range shooter, so I don't talk about the subject like I do. I listen to those that know about that stuff; and try to learn. If I am interested in actually learning.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's hard to jump straight from step 1 (someone considering a gun for the first time) to explaining why such and such is the best choice. Especially if someone is there to argue. I found the best thing to do is tell them not to rush into anything, do their own research and offer to take them to the range and/or discuss it further at another time. And even if you can't get through to them, sometimes you just have to concede that them having ANY gun is better than none.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    when they start flying off the handle and don't take my gun advice or suggestion and obviously have no clue on how to decide on a good firearm for their needs I direct them to Ernie...I encourage them to contact him and take a course being he'll keep it 100% honest with them and correct their misconceptions...this week being the most recent instance...

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Happy to report the opposite happened to me twice this week. Had two conversations with people who come to find out are ver pro-gun people. Made for very dynamic conversation, especially factoring in the suprise from both sides. I guess, unless guns are part of your livelyhood, most are "closet" gun people.

Except this guy

BadgeGun.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have been in a couple of social situations lately where the topic of guns has came up (think work holiday parties, extended family gathering, etc.), and I want to know how you handle these situations? One involved a conversation between 2 or 3 people around me where one person mentions an attempted break in at their home, and another says they need to get a gun and goes on to suggest the Taurus Judge, etc. Anyway I did not want to get drawn into the having some big best defensive gun debate in front of subject of the advice (a person that knows basic gun safety, took a CCW class a couple of years ago, but is not a gun person), but at the same time have real reservations about the Judge being much more than a marketing gimick. Since then I have had a regret about not speaking up, but at the same time I am not sure what I could have said to improve the situation, any thoughts?

People will do what they want to do, or take advice (good or bad) from who they favor most. Just smile and no-matter how stupid, congratulate them on their pet idea. You won't change their mind, and you won't make a friend, doing anything else.

The above is especially hard for me, so I digress, but it's much more profitable to make others feel right, than to actually worry about whether or not they are, on most occasions that don't affect you and yours.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    People will do what they want to do, or take advice (good or bad) from who they favor most. Just smile and no-matter how stupid, congratulate them on their pet idea. You won't change their mind, and you won't make a friend, doing anything else.

The above is especially hard for me, so I digress, but it's much more profitable to make others feel right, than to actually worry about whether or not they are, on most occasions that don't affect you and yours.

I don't think alot of "educators" would agree with you here. And by educators, I mean; people that actually take some pride in using their knowledge to help others to learn. Guns, Hunting, Auto repair; no difference!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Unless I have personal experience on the subject at hand I refer to my situation and back up the choices I have made. Why I chose a specific weapon, how I carry it, ect ect.
    If the subject of a Judge would come up, I have shot one and after a few rounds the hammer and trigger locked to the rear and the cylinder did not advance nor could it be moved. This along with what I have read was enough to turn me off.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Don't really get much flack about guns when the subject creeps into conversation and it's a moot point for me if someone tries to ruffle my feathers about it. If I get strong opposition about it,I just shrug my shoulders abd say..."I got guns and you don't.....nuff said.

Matters not to me what people think about guns anymore. It's my God given and constitutional right to keep and bear them. If the concept of guns makes someone uncomfortable,there's nothing I can do about that. When you look at me,you wouldn't know I have a gun or two on me. When you walk into my house,you wouldn't know that you're walking into a fortified armed bunker disguised as a comfortable and safe family home. I'm not going to purposely make someone feel uptight because I have a gun,I will always respect their space unless a window is open to invite such talk.

Most of my gun talk encounters have been on the positive side even with individuals that you'd think may try to lure you into some kind oif harmful debate or berrating.

I ain't scared at all......

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I don't think alot of "educators" would agree with you here. And by educators, I mean; people that actually take some pride in using their knowledge to help others to learn. Guns, Hunting, Auto repair; no difference!

I do agree with the notion that an educator must always be on the up an up and take the resposibilty of forming safe knowledge. However,if someone refuses to learn or just doesn't care (...and I've had a few of these kind),then I'm not going to waste my time. Too many other folks out there that can benefit from what I may have to offer...just like I'm always an open ear to new advise or corrections.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

I really agree with this. Speedracer has the best advice as to what to say. But as soon as it leaves your lips, if they don't take you up on the gun range suggestion etc, let them go. It's not your issue.

Not guns but a friend of ours took their kids to disneyworld, first trip. I made the comment based on two kids experiences at a very specific age, Do Not Do This. She rolled her eyes and turned her back to me. They did exactly what we suggested not to, the very first hour they were in the park. He came home and told my husband that their child was terrified the rest of the trip and wet himself in fear of getting on another ride. Not my problem.

I'll share whatever I can if asked or the subject is brought up, but as soon as I do, my "job" is over.

Disclaimer: This is the common acquaintance or extended family member. Close family/friends I'll try a little harder to explain what I think or feel.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    It's hard to jump straight from step 1 (someone considering a gun for the first time) to explaining why such and such is the best choice. Especially if someone is there to argue. I found the best thing to do is tell them not to rush into anything, do their own research and offer to take them to the range and/or discuss it further at another time. And even if you can't get through to them, sometimes you just have to concede that them having ANY gun is better than none.

That.

I've been in a few situations where I knew any attempt to out-grunt the learned hillbilly recommending the .44 Desert Eagle to the neophyte would be in vain, and all his dopey stories of damsel rescuing, knock down power and marksmanship measured in miles would drown out anything rational. Wait till the other person crawls back in his hole. I personally always end my gun discussions with "get some good training."

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was just asked today if I knew a good gunsmith, I told them I knew lots of good gunsmiths, what kind of gun/what did they need done. I had to explain, some specialize in 1911's, some long range, some general hunting rifle type stuff, etc. They couldn't answer any of my questions, so I asked how do you know you need a gun smith. They are suppose to get back to me tomorrow... Also had a conversation about how you use to be able to go to the drug store or hardware store and buy a gun, and was very put off when my Aunt said it was good that you couldn't buy guns at places like that anymore, then a few minutes later she asks me to fix a strap on an old leather stamped leather purse....

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd probably take a different tact... I'd suggest that the Dillon Aero is a 6 barreled machine gun that shoots over 3000 rounds per minute with a 10' long tongue of flame and is also a great gun (which will be responded to with snorts and laughter) but there are more appropriate choices for home defense. The Judge is good for killing small rodents while the Aero is great for mounted positions, but a 12ga or .45 semiauto or .223 carbine would be a better choice for defending the home without igniting the curtains or shooting the bad guy with rat shot. Maybe mention while the judge can handle .45LC it just doesn't do it well and is prone to failures.
    Now you've opened up an intelligent conversation where you can educate someone without them getting butthurt over their totally incorrect opinion...

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was once drinking coffee with the Chancellor of LSU, Michael Martin, when he asked me what I thought about students carrying guns on campus. That was the start of an interesting conversation. I can say he listened openly to what I had to say.

When guns come up in casual conversation, I join in and try to officer the best advice and suggestions based on where the conversation is headed. Sometimes, I just let myself be entertained by the ignorance and sip my beer. Rather than suggest this and that gun, I try to suggest things like gun vault safes and good places to practice shooting. If a particular gun is being discussed, then by all means talk about it. Main thing is to listen as much as you talk and don't sound like a gun snob.

IMO, a Taurus Judge with the Federal Personal defense pistol buckshot loads is a viable home defense weapon. Not ideal, but very workable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...0-bore-2-1-2-000-buckshot-4-pellets-box-of-20

If you have no experience with this ^ stuff, then I highly recommend you try it out. My Governor loves it. Patterns tight and manageable recoil.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My job focuses heavily on education. That is probably the most pertinent type of education out there, one would think. "How to not end up dead" is a good title for the topics I focus on. You know what? Lots and lots and lots of people---just don't care. Renal patients that order pizza from their room, fresh CABG patients who are eating fried pies post-op day 3, DKA patients who are sneaking sugary snacks while on insulin drips.

If people don't care about staying alive, what exactly do they care about?

I know!

DOING WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. WHATEVER THAT MAY BE.

It really frustrated me when I got into healthcare, seeing people kill themselves like they do, even after being educated "You need to avoid these foods with your condition..." etc.

The bottom line is that man (and woman) are stubborn creatures and just don't care about anything but what they care about. Some people do want to learn, but many stop as soon as the lesson conflicts with their other wants.

(a PERFECT example is VanillaGorilla and my carbine. The guy has offered me great advice, and I know he knows a lot, and I am struggling with "want" to listen to and heed his advice. I'm trying damn hard and attempting to remain open minded, but my carbine is what I want it to be, although I slowly am fighting myself to give up some ground and end up with what VG claims is a more useful system. Single vs. 2-point sling. Monolithic upper. etc.)

All an educator can do is politely provide knowledge. At work, that's my responsibility and I do it. Away from work? Aside from my personal quips on a few forums, I really have no input for anyone who doesn't specifically come up to me and "Jon, I would like your opinion on...". Because? They don't care, and I have better things to do than make enemies by trying to give someone something for free. Advice is one of the few free things that noone wants.

Last edited:

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    To me, talking guns are like talking religion or politics. I never do it with people unless I know them well. There always seems to be a know-ti-all in the bunch and that's a conversation I want nothing to do with.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom