When your doctor asks about firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Gun Politics in Your Doctor's Office

These are questions your doctor may ask you or your children as part of routine physical examinations or questionnaires. All the gun-related questions you are likely to encounter in doctors' offices, especially pediatricians, are based on doctor groups' political movement against gun owners. That movement is spearheaded by the American Academy of Pediatrics, although the AMA and other physician groups have launched similar efforts against gun owners.

With a few rare exceptions, such questions about guns do not reflect a physician's concern about gun safety. Rather, they are intended to prejudice impressionable and trusting children and their parents into thinking that guns are somehow bad.

That political motive makes these questions ethically wrong. Any doctor who asks them, either directly or on a questionnaire, should be disciplined.

Who can discipline the physician? You, the almighty consumer. That's right. If you, the patient or parent, file a formal written complaint with the offending doctor's HMO or medical group, your complaint will be taken seriously. The doctor will be asked to respond to it. In any case, your polite but firm protest will be a black mark on his or her record that will likely make him or her think twice before repeating the offense.

Patients not enrolled in a health plan (HMO) might see a doctor in a small group practice or solo practice. Unethical behavior by such a doctor can be reported to your county medical society. Although federal anti-trust laws have mostly stripped medical societies of their enforcement powers, they can still get an erring physician's attention.

Medicine has become an extremely competitive service industry. Medical groups are trying harder than ever to please consumers. The last thing a doctor wants these days, next to a malpractice suit, is a patient complaint alleging unethical conduct.

If the doctor persists or is especially inappropriate, you can send that formal complaint to the Medical Board of California. For instructions on filing a complaint go to web site www.medbd.ca.gov or call (800) 633-2322. This is a last resort, and it will be a definite blemish on the doctor's career. But it may be necessary for repeat offenders. This step will apply enormous pressure on the offending physician, even if the state board takes no official action against his or her license.

To summarize: you don't have to suffer in silence and you don't have to disclose personal information about your gun ownership to politically motivated doctors. Most important, you can strike back at unethical doctors who abuse your trust to advance a political agenda against law-abiding gun owning families.

Its not just in California, my mother called me sunday telling me about something like this happening to her in Arizona.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I will add, If you or a close (as in living in the same home) family member has ANY kind of mental health issues, they become belligerent about guns in the home if they find out

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I will add, If you or a close (as in living in the same home) family member has ANY kind of mental health issues, they become belligerent about guns in the home if they find out

Rightfully so. You can't argue that point.

That being said, I can't see why any doctor would ask about firearms and have never had a doctor ask me about firearms, except my doctor who asks which one he should buy next.

Edit: to clarify. the doctor should only remain adamant that the firearm is inaccessible to any mentally unstable person, not that you should get rid of them.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    Rightfully so. You can't argue that point.

That being said, I can't see why any doctor would ask about firearms and have never had a doctor ask me about firearms, except my doctor who asks which one he should buy next.

Edit: to clarify. the doctor should only remain adamant that the firearm is inaccessible to any mentally unstable person, not that you should get rid of them.

+1

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I've worked on my doctors 1911 Gold Cup at his desk while waiting for my lab work. :)
    Unfortunately, he just recently passed away after a bout with cancer. He was a good guy. He use to teach a womans self-defense class for free here in town.

Art

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    The post wasnt to discuss what a doctor should or shouldnt do. Thats a given, nobodys damn business whether or not I have firearms, its not health related.

Miguel A Faria, Jr, Editor-in-chief, Medical Sentinel1
    1 PO Box 6093 Macon, GA 31208
    hfaria@mindspring.com
    References

This sort of inquiry, on a routine basis, is not part of science or medicine but the overt promotion of a political agenda on the part of physicians who wittingly or unwittingly are functioning as agents of the state rather than as advocates for their patients.1 Physicians participating in this political campaign will be breaching medical ethics and committing boundary violations by using their authority to violate their patients' privacy and advance a political agenda.

As Timothy Wheeler explained,2

A patient who seeks medical or psychiatric treatment is often in a uniquely dependent, anxious, vulnerable, and exploitable state. In seeking help, patients assume positions of relative powerlessness in which they expose their dignity, and reveal intimacies of body or mind, or both. Thus compromised, the patient relies heavily on the physician to act only in the patient's interest and not the physician's.

From time immemorial, patient privacy has been an ethical concept that, up until now, was fundamental to the patient-doctor relationship. With the problems we have seen in terms of preserving the confidentiality of medical records in the electronic age, asking about guns will be received by patients with great concern and trepidation. Patients may ultimately become reluctant to seek medical care and to talk candidly with their physicians; this reluctance, in turn, may be detrimental to their physical and mental health.

The other side, I'm sure, will respond by reciting a litany of gun-violence statistics, including accidental, tragic shootings of children; yet, supporters of gun control refuse to acknowledge effective gun-safety programs such as the National Rifle Association's Eddie Eagle, which simply instructs children, “If you see a gun: Stop! Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult.”

As a result of such programs, since 1930, the annual number of fatal firearm accidents has declined by more than half, even though there are twice as many people and 4 times as many firearms today.3 The number of gun crimes has also fallen, despite an increase in gun ownership. Gun availability does not cause crime—criminal minds do!

And what about risk management? Are physicians going to also inquire about the storage of household cleaning agents, or matches, and about swimming pools? If not, why not? More youngsters die annually of poisoning, fires, and drowning than of firearm injuries.

According to the ethics of Hippocrates, ethics that have served the medical profession well for 2,500 years, physicians must place the interest of their individual patients above that of the collective, whether it is the state, “the greater good of society,” or any political campaign hatched by their professional organizations. This campaign is gun control politics at work, promulgated by organized medicine to score public relation points at the expense of their patients' privacy. It is a low point for the medical profession in general and medical ethics in particular.4

Physicians should have learned the lessons from medical history. In Medical Science Under Dictatorship, Leo Alexander, the chief US medical consultant at the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials, examined “the process by which the German medical profession became a willing and unquestioning collaborator with the Nazis.” Medicine, more than any other profession, was heavily represented in the Nazi Party, which German physicians joined in droves.

The first step taken by German doctors was to collect data on their patients and then release it to the state. “Corrosion,” Alexander wrote, “begins in microscopic proportions.” From small beginnings, the values of an entire society may be subverted, leading to the horrors of a police state.5

Have organized medicine and rank-and-file physicians learned the lessons of history? To our peril, apparently not!

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I work in Ophthalmology and I've asked patients these questions before. Excessive long term gun use or high caliber shooting (.50bmg) can lead to retinal detachment because of the force. I can't think ok any other area besides neurology where these questions might be o.k. to ask.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I work in Ophthalmology and I've asked patients these questions before. Excessive long term gun use or high caliber shooting (.50bmg) can lead to retinal detachment because of the force. I can't think ok any other area besides neurology where these questions might be o.k. to ask.

Are you serious? My eye doctor told me years ago to avoid contact sports where I might take a hit to the head because my retina is stretched thin. (I'm extremely nearsighted.) Do I have to worry about target practice now as well?

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    not unless you served in WW2 or the Korean War and are of that age group. Anyone at any age can get a detached retina,

Regardless, if you are predisposed to sight issues, I suggest calling your health care provider immediately if you get sudden alterations in your vision such as floaters, spots, loss of vision etc..

Retina detachments get cryo retinopexy: freeze the eye with a probe and gas. After watching more than a few, I can say this is not the most comfortable procedure.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Major thread drift here. Read a story yesterday about the crash of a C-130 loaded with REAL Canadian paratroopers. 1 of the first responders (U.S. SF medic) developed Frost Bite of the Eye Ball. Thats got to be f*** up. :eek3:

Sorry, thread drift over. :o

Art

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My Dr asks about my guns all the time, as in "What have you got lately?" and "What do you think of this rifle I'm looking at buying?" :rofl:

It gets better. My wifes OBGYN was my Dr. (reservist O-6) in the military. You just KNOW we talked about guns. I think my wife was a little pissed when we were discussing the advantages/disadvantages of the M16 in combat while my wife was in labor. :rofl: :mamoru: :eek3:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My grandfather had open heart surgery around eight years ago in Houston. The cardiologist who did it was into 1911's and when he would stop by my grandfathers room we BS'ed about shooting. I was suprised how long he would stay and talk because he was busy as hell. Imagine the guy has these highly trained hands blasting away with a 45.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I know more than a few Eye MD's who spend all their disposable income on firearms. One has a few M-60's. Class 3 prices are not an obstacle to these guys.

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Hey, lets all share some more stories about the "good" doctors, and not worry that there seems to be a civilian disarmament political agenda lurking in the medical community that we should keep on out toes about. Maybe we should add this to the list of, well its not happening in my back yard so I guess I shouldn't be concerned. I'll start out about how my dads proctologist has a flamethrower, he's the coolest.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    My Dr asks about my guns all the time, as in "What have you got lately?" and "What do you think of this rifle I'm looking at buying?" :rofl:

It gets better. My wifes OBGYN was my Dr. (reservist O-6) in the military. You just KNOW we talked about guns. I think my wife was a little pissed when we were discussing the advantages/disadvantages of the M16 in combat while my wife was in labor. :rofl: :mamoru: :eek3:

Now that's classic. I don't know you so I had no opinion of you but you instantly gained 10 points in the TDH hall of fame.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom