Where to find real black powder for muzzleloader.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    Just like the title says. Do any of you know where to get any? I just got a Lyman Trade Rifle flintlock today and have everything but powder. I'm in Sulphur but wouldn't mind driving of course. Thanks in advance.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    There is currently only one dealer in Louisiana licensed to sell real black powder. Jack's Powder Keg, out of Natchitoches.

None of the mail order places I've found will sell in less than 5 lb lots. Some of them won't go lower than 10 or 20 lbs, which rules them out since currently Louisiana law limits individual possession to 5 lbs.

marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    There is currently only one dealer in Louisiana licensed to sell real black powder. Jack's Powder Keg, out of Natchitoches.

None of the mail order places I've found will sell in less than 5 lb lots. Some of them won't go lower than 10 or 20 lbs, which rules them out since currently Louisiana law limits individual possession to 5 lbs.
    Damn, that sucks. Maybe I'll start posting in the "Another reason to hate it" thread. :rofl: Seriously though, appreciate the info.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    One other thing, that one dealer makes it to all the Civil War reenactments he can. You can email him to see if he's coming to one near you anytime soon.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA

Jack's Powder is owned Judge Angelo Piazza in Marksville, La. His "powder magazine" is located in Kisatchie, La. just west of Natchitoches. "Jack", primarily deals in large volumnes of cannon powder for civil war re-enactors and does not care to deal in small shipments, i.e. 1 or 2 lbs. etc. due to the volumne of paperwork involved selling blackpowder in Louisiana.

As Pale Horse stated, you might catch him at one of the Civil War re-enanctments and pick up 5 lbs. and save hazmat shipping costs.

Your best bet is mailorder!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom