where to hunt pig in s.e. la

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Im planning to go to Honey Island this year as well, .17HMR is allowed for hogs right?

I would go with a little more firepower than that. I was just talking to some guys I know, they were trying to dispatch hogs with a 17 HMR that were caught in a trap and not having very good success with it. Even with head shots from 20' away, half the time it wouldn't take them out or would require multiple shots.

aaron_j

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Meraux,La
    main reason I got it is a guy I know only hunts with the HMR and swears by it. Claims it only takes 1 ear shot and there down and he kills quite a few, we'll see!

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's all about shot placement but getting the shot placed exactly where it needs to be is a lot more difficult in the field than it is on paper. Head shots are always a little sketchy because an animal's head is usually moving. Needing to place a bullet in a particular spot on a moving target makes the chance of a clean kill go down even more. Not saying it can't be done just that odds of a clean shot aren't favorable.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    I am going to KILL me some hogs.... My wife just sent some pics of fresh hog (rooting?). Tore up my land. We have owned it (36acres) for about 2 1/2 years now and this is the first sign we have seen. Pointers?

aaron_j

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Meraux,La
    need a hand?! friend of mine at work told me tonight hes wanting to go do some hog hunts at his grandpas, ar's and rhinos what couldnt be more fun!

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    +1 on Pearl River WMA. Hog sign all over the place! Just make sure you sign in at the gate and place tag on windshield.

Windshield tags no longer necessary. You still need to sign in though.

Im planning to go to Honey Island this year as well, .17HMR is allowed for hogs right?

Yes, as long as the small game season is open. I don't think you can hunt hogs during the spring squirrel season though.

Do you need a 4 wheeler to get around to good hunting spots in pearl river?

Only to retrieve downed game. Unless you're handicapped using a handicapped trail or the ATV trail on the way to the range.

from what Ive read a pirouge or canoe will get you to better hunting. From using the range I know of only 1 atv trail and its more or less an alley in a straight line, my brother took his dirtbike there once!

There are hogs along the trail. Not sure how successful you'll be unless you walk off the trail. The brush to the north is an absolute bit$&.

Big Branch has a bunch of hogs

Archery only for hog out there. Trust me on that one :(

Top Bottom