Where to learn how to weld?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I want to learn how to weld. I see the the local community college has a course for $550 that meets on Saturdays but it's longer (12 weeks?) and more expensive than I really wanted.

Anyone away of a shorter class?

I'm interested in stick, MIG, torch and TIG (in that order).

Thoughts?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    That's probably the way to go, considering the equipment and material you will have at your disposal plus professional instruction, unless you find a fab shop that would let you volunteer in exchange for lessons.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    If you need that little piece of paper (certificate) to apply for jobs then yes, take the course. They do teach you the basics and safety techniques. But if you want to learn how to really stick some metal together then find to oldest, crustiest, spit stained overalls in a fab shop and the guy wearing them will probably teach you if you're willing to learn. Do both if you're really serious, but don't expect to make top dollar right out of school.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Take the course and practice a lot. More than what they give time for in class. Most guys that come fresh outta school can't pass a tig test at all but they can stick pretty well. If you want a shop job know how to mig; using various wires (flux cor hardwire etc) unless its a pipe shop then you better know tig on top of all
    Others.
    If you want top dollar $29+/hr you need to be efficient at all 3. Known as a combo welder. posses good work ethics as well that goes a long ways.
    When you get out of school come see me.
    Good luck. Some welding comes natural too others have to work at it. Either way its rewarding and a good career if you want it to be.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My dad was a trade school taught certified welder at age 20. He taught me the basics on an old Lincoln at the house. I grew up on a farm so there was always something that needed welding. I got lots of practice and by the time I hit high school my shop teacher admitted that I welded better than he. Wasn't until adulthood that I bought a wire welder and taught myself the art of flux core and gas shielded wire welding by trial and (lots of) error.
    If you can't find a friend with the tools to teach you, see if there's a night course at a trade school. +1 to whoever mentioned the availability of equipment. When I went to trade school it was a learn at your own pace curriculum, so if you're a fast learner and have the initiative to work through each module in a speedy manner, you can prolly get it done in less time. Right out of high school I went to Florida Parishes vocational school in Greensburg and finished Electronics Tech and Auto Mechanics courses in 13 months.

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    I go to (used to be LA tech college, but brcc took over all LTC campuses) BRCC in port allen. The program is setup towards learning to weld to work in the pipe welding industry. The instructors will teach you whatever you want if you tell them its just a hobby, or you want to learn something specifically. Go up there and talk to the instructor Jeff. We go tuesday and thursday nights, and i believe they now have a monday, wednesday class.

The class is normally setup as torch basics, and what not, then stick on plate, then pipe, then TIG on pipe. YOu go through the flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead positions. Its a progress as you learn style class, so it make take a while, or you may pick it up quick.

Last edited:

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have been a welder for almost 20 years. The ABC School has about the best thing going in the Baton Rouge area. If you're looking for a course that'll teach you how to TIG, MIG, and Stick weld quickly and thoroughly you're not going it anywhere. Welding is an art as much as it is an ability. I will suggest getting a metallurgy book and get an understanding of what the metal is doing. If you can understand what it's doing it's easier making it work in your head, and if you can work it out in your head first you'll be able to make the metal do what it's supposed to do in the weld. If you're really serious about it get yourself a small welding machine to practice with when you're not in class and really devote time to it.
    I never took classes or training. I worked where I could get practice ( shops after work) and did that till I got good enough to pass a test. After that the only thing that has brought me to the ability that I have now is to "never back up". That means you don't back down from something new or say that you're scared to do a job because of your skill level. If you can study it long enough and can wrap your head around what the metal is supposed to do then it's within your ability ( if you're a welder)
    Good luck with it. Get you some schooling, do your studying, and practice practice practice! And you'll do just fine. If you need some advice or have questions you can call on me any time. My #'s in my sight line.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Thanks for all the replys. I want to learn as a hobby, not as a trade or full time job. I'm just south of Baton Rouge. The BRCC course in Port Allen is what I researched. They also have Saturday classes which appeal to me.

I already bought a Lincoln AC/DC 225amp stick welder, Harris torch set and 75lb Oxy/acetylene tank setup. I'll be working a 220 amp outlet in the garage next weekend for the Lincoln welder.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    ABC has welding courses, though it's set up to get you to the point of passing a certification exam, not really a hobbyist. Two nights a week. I'm taking instrumentation there, though, and wouldn't be here if I could get into instrumentation without it. No idea what the welding classes are like.

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Bigjake pretty much nailed it... Takes time and dedication to learn to weld proficiently (i.e. visually appealing, X-ray quality). No shortcuts, just practice practice practice.

I started of at a technical college learned the basics and got on part time at a shop after 6 months. Learned a whole lot more. After about another 6 months passed all my pipe certain and never looked back.

Top Bottom