Where to learn?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CRAZE

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    New Orleans
    My knowledge on firearms is pretty limited but I have recently gained interest in learning more, especially about AR's. While I am gaining some knowledge on here, a lot of what y'all say on here is over my head. I just don't know the terminologies. Can anyone recommend a good place for me to get a basic info so I can get up to speed?

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I would suggest that you start by reading some owners manuals for various manufacturers ARs. Most companies, if not all, have the owners manuals available online. This will get the basic information and terminology.

I am sure there are many decent books that you could get. It sounds like you do not yet own an AR. And there is quite a bit on youtube; just don't take any info as absolutely correct-- you need to compare various sources, and eventually you'll be able to tell who seems informed and who is full of it.

As for operation of your weapon once you acquire one, there are good trainers out there, such as the VATA Group previously mentioned.

CRAZE

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    New Orleans
    I was about to call the people at the vatagroup.com and tell them they were recommended. I'm sure it would have confused the hell out of them.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    No, I don't own one yet. I want to learn more about them before I go off half-cocked...

Well, FWIW, you certainly have the right attitude. You'll find an abundant amount of what you're looking for here, and a lot of good people more than willing to answer your questions....:)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    There's a lot of different areas of knowledge in this regard. What do you mean when you say you want to learn about the AR?

Are you talking about the mechanics and physical aspects of the rifle?

Are you interested in the manual of arms and individual use of the rifle?

Are you curious about the history and employment of the weapon?

Are you trying to learn about the wide array of ammunition, its mechanics, performance and optimal use?

I know, I know-- I'm confusing the situation even more. However, if you can articulate specifically what you want to learn about, your search will be a million times easier. Even if you want to learn ALL about the weapon, focusing in on one specific topic at a time is definitely the way to go. When you start falling into discussions about specifics like:

What barrel composition?
    What barrel twist?
    What gas system length?
    What trigger?
    What lower receiver?
    What grain and type of ammo?
    What specific round?
    Etc.

When taken in snippets all at once, your head will start to swim! And without some general knowledge in this areas, you'll end up in the same place you are now-- not understanding the terminology or details.

Unfortunately, the VAST majority of information readily accessible online is of this specific nature. SOMEONE around here has to know of a more generalized source of info-- but if not, that's what you should be trying to find with your Google-fu.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Craze, before you go buy an AR shoot as many different AR's as you can. Saying you are going to buy an AR is like saying you're going to buy a 'truck'. Big difference between a 2wd Toyota single cab and a F350 Dually. AR's are almost as bad.
    What do you plan on doing with it? Range toy? hunting? tactical classes? purely self defense? Are you going to put a long range scope on it for shooting at 500 yards? Or is this a home defense gun with a red dot?
    Think before you reach for your wallet!

BTW, I wouldn't suggest an AR as your first gun purchase. Start with a .22 full sized target pistol (Ruger or Beretta preferably). Then a .22 rifle. .22's are cheap and fun to shoot. You'll practice more with cheaper ammo... Then move up.

Top Bottom