Where to live in the New Orleans area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Metairie doesn't have glitz. Metairie voted for David Duke for Governor even when they knew he was a Klan member who liked to dress up like a Nazi. Metairie is safe. Parts of it (like Old Metairie which is horrendously expensive) has qualities that resemble uptown, but most of it is paved subdivisions. I now live in Metairie.

Warehouse district is expensive, but a good party scene. Your car will be broken into

Lakeview is like Metairie, but left-wing.

Gentilly has (expensive) good areas as well as bad areas.

Mid City is like Uptown, but most of the residents are married. A good friend of mine lived there, and was in a bar when a couple thugs decided to rob everyone. He and another guy tried to subdue the perps, and the other guy got shot. The hood is quite close to Mid-City.

new%20orleans%20map.jpg

LOL

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    They put Storyville on that map? :confused:

Good God, get over it. Do they realize there was a New Orleans before jazz music and the shotgun house?

/rant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Metairie doesn't have glitz. Metairie voted for David Duke for Governor even when they knew he was a Klan member who liked to dress up like a Nazi. Metairie is safe. Parts of it (like Old Metairie which is horrendously expensive) has qualities that resemble uptown, but most of it is paved subdivisions. I now live in Metairie.

Warehouse district is expensive, but a good party scene. Your car will be broken into

Lakeview is like Metairie, but left-wing.

Gentilly has (expensive) good areas as well as bad areas.

Mid City is like Uptown, but most of the residents are married. A good friend of mine lived there, and was in a bar when a couple thugs decided to rob everyone. He and another guy tried to subdue the perps, and the other guy got shot. The hood is quite close to Mid-City.

new%20orleans%20map.jpg

This picture pretty much nails it.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    No, really I should point out that all humor aside Algiers Point (just the point!) is really beautiful. It's a walking neighborhood with beautiful houses. People know each other there. The only problem is it's surrounded completely by THE HOOD.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    thanks for the input everyone. the women have some pull in deciding where I live, however them being liberal makes it a somewhat moot point. I also dont like having my car broken into.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I know they do, but after about the 2nd night I get enough of the liberal tree hugging whores. I would rather sorority girls who hunt and fish and have good daddys.

2nd night? Aren't we all whores?

Excuse me I have to go now. "Brown Eyed Girl" just came up in the playlist, and I must go off now for a while.

Last edited:

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    I see no one has mentioned LaPlace. It can be a tough drive but not to far out of town.

Gramercy might be an option now since hwy 3127 was built. It runs from Donalsdonville to Boutte. One traffic light, once in Boutte you can catch 610 to either Airline Hwy or I-10. You would cross new bridge in Gramercy to Westbank of river to get on 3127 and cross river again on I-610.

Gramercy is a little ways out there but quiet. Lot of plants in the area which may open up the possibility of good job and just about everyone knows each other.

If you want to party this puts you about 1/2 way between Baton Rouge and N.O.

LaPlace is a little closer and you have the options of traveling I-10 or Airline Hwy to N.O.

There is also Nick's Shooting Range next door in Garyville. Lots of fishing in area plus approx 30.min from Thibodeaux.
    I will guess it is approx. 30 - 45 minutes from N.O.

From what I've read here it seems the options are live out of town or accept your car/stuff getting broken into and having to look over your shoulder all the time.

Good luck in your search and I am quite positive N.O. has nice places I grew up in Belle Chasse and lived for a while in Kenner. I lived in LaPlace for a few years also. I would not want to move back toward N.O. or live any closer than LaPlace. Guess I'm just used to living "out there" away from the N.O. problems.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Just think about it. Libs get old quick.

The girl I married is completely opposite of me politically. We love each other, and can't get enough of each other. A good person is a good person. Politics doesn't enter into it. If you base your love on politics you will be making a grave mistake, my friend. Love runs deeper than politics does. Deeper than ideology. Deeper than anything else in this world or beyond.

Empty sex on the other hand ::mamoru::

I was 25 once.

:)

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    no one has mentioned LaPlace

There's a reason for that.

I've lived in Metairie (in three different locations) since 2003. I've spent a fair amount of time partying it up downtown, warehouse dist, uptown, metairie, lakeview and mid-city and have had zero problems. No cars broken into, no robberies, etc. Maybe I'm just lucky?

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I can't attest for Uptown, but I lived in the Quarter for 2 years, Marigny Triangle for 1. No car break-ins at all.

Word of advice. Don't leave anything of value visible in your car. Many of the cars broken into had an iPod or a GPS laying out in the open.

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    +1 For River Ridge. I've been living in the Elmwood area for about 2.5 years now and its been quiet and worry-free. The rent around here for single bedroom apartments is in the 700-800 range. Uptown is 10-15 minutes away if you use Earhart Expressway. Plenty of retail stores around including WinnDixie, Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. Many food joints. This area isn't exactly populated by the younger crowd though, so you won't find college-age chicks congregating at the local pool every day. HTH

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    I can't attest for Uptown, but I lived in the Quarter for 2 years, Marigny Triangle for 1. No car break-ins at all.

Word of advice. Don't leave anything of value visible in your car. Many of the cars broken into had an iPod or a GPS laying out in the open.

Do you have off street parking or do you just move your vehicle around on street cleaning day in the Quarter?

To the rest of you,
    The guy asked for recommendations in New Orleans. LaPlace and Mandeville are not appropriate responses. Jefferson works as it falls under the umbrella of areas traditionally considered to be New Orleans Metro IMO.

Now my $.02. Based on the OP's comments I would probably recommend River Ridge or Harahan if he can find a nice place in the budget. There are also apartment complexes in Orleans Parish, which would alleviate some of your car security concerns. Now if I had your budget, I would probably live in Mid City or the Bayou St. John Area, but I wouldn't try and push my personal choices off on someone else who values different things in an apartment.

One last note. I like Algiers Point, but dealing with the GNO bridge is a pain in the ass even with a toll tag, and the ferry closes at midnight.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    There's a reason for that.

I've lived in Metairie (in three different locations) since 2003. I've spent a fair amount of time partying it up downtown, warehouse dist, uptown, metairie, lakeview and mid-city and have had zero problems. No cars broken into, no robberies, etc. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I don't think your experience is that uncommon. I've lived in the GNO area for about 30 years, and the only robberies/burglaries I ever experienced were in poor neighborhoods, and I could count those on one hand. One person tried unsuccessfully to rob me. No crimes occurred in Metairie.

Top Bottom