Where to start?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    My brother is taking his hunters education course next month, no one in our family has ever hunted to my knowledge. He has a buddy that said that he would take him out and get him started but he called me asking what type of rifle or shotgun he should go for. He is mainly wanting to hunt deer and hog, I have no advise for him because I have never been. I have always wanted to give it a try but I don't know anyone that hunts. He wants something cheap to start out with just to make sure he is going to stick with it. I said something like a Savage Axis in .308 but I have no clue what I am talking about haha. So help me out, what is a good rifle for a starter? I don't even know if he has even shot a rifle before or a shot gun. What would be the best gun for deer and hog, a rifle or a shotgun?

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    depending on where he will be hunting and what type of terrian????? I always started off with a good reilable 12 ga shotgun........that way he can use it for many types of hunting from fowl, hog, deer, snd still not spend a ton of money........best bang for the buck (pardon the pun).........I used to hunt with my remington 1100 12 ga for many years before I started to move to rifles............

Until he decides if he even likes it I would start there since he should not get a long range rifle for a beginner since I doubt he would be hunting past 100 yards and he can also keep it for home use if he decides he hates hunting........

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Around here he can get away with a wide variety of guns to start with because the distances typically aren't long and the animals aren't too big. The most important thing to me is that it's comfortable to shoot and inexpensive enough to shoot that he'll practice with it a little bit before heading out. Starting out he's going to have plenty of other things to spend money on so don't break the bank on the gun.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    How close will the deer/hogs be? I didn't know if it would be within the effective range of a shotgun

Shotgun using buckshot or rifled slug (not sabot slugs in rifled barrel) are most effective in archery range. (less than 30 yards).

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    How close will the deer/hogs be? I didn't know if it would be within the effective range of a shotgun

If he's never hunted wild deer before then he would need to be in a petting zoo to get close. Hogs too. Point being, aside from having a place to hunt; it is very difficult to just stumble into wilderness and start blasting deer or hogs. Very few and I mean very few novice hunters, with no mentor types to help, go off in the woods and are successful. Hunter safety course is right track.

If no one in his family hunts, why don't you contact the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and see about enrolling him in the Hunter's Apprenticeship Program.

Very sad that a potential new hunter wants to come into the fold and has no where to go on his/her own. Don't give up! The sport needs him.

As for the first gun? I have no problems with the suggestions of a 12 Gauge shotgun as the icebreaker. BTW; slugs and heavy buckshot can take out targets up to 75 yards without issue; and I would submit alot further at the hands of a more experienced shooter.

G

gunguy11

How old is he?
    New England firearms makes a crack barrel youth and in full size. These guns are great shooters. It was my first rifle in a .243 and I still hunt with it today.
    A similar gun he could use if he can't find a new England would be those handi rifles like gmshooter sells here. He might be able to get you one in a hunting caliber such as the .243, 7mm-08, 30-06. Etc.
    Also for a beginning hunter a nice quality fixed magnification scope would be perfect. He doesn't need to worry about adjusting the focus and the magnification. It is the same for every shot. I started with a swarovski 6x36.
    (doesn't have to be that high end)
    Personally if he is lookin to hunt and kill a nice buck I am not a fan of a shotgun.
    I witnessed my buddy shoot a 11 point whitetail with a 3" 00B load.... He went down an the shot was only 25yards.... But upon reaching the down animal 2 tines were missing. The pellets had spread far enough apart to hit the antlers.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Since he's looking to ease into on the cheap a shotgun would be versatile enough to try different types of game. As for deer/hog loads for a shotgun I haven't tried them, but I've read good things about the Dixie Slugs tri-ball loads (except them being easy on the shoulder).
    http://www.dixieslugs.com/

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    He is my older brother....34. I want to get him out to the range to let him shoot a few rifles and shotguns that we have. OH and I forgot to mention that his son 16 is going to start with him. His friend has been hunting for a while and he is going to take them. Hopefully he will learn then can teach me. I have always wanted to give it a shot but never known anyone that I could go along with.

If he's never hunted wild deer before then he would need to be in a petting zoo to get close

Thats why I was thinking more of a rifle for him but I doubt he could hit anything at longer range. and thats why I wanted to get him to the range so I can teach im some of what I know and at least get the feel of shooting.

Not sure how he would feel about the apprenticeship program being he is 34.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, keep them coming, we are both really trying to learn. I think it is a valuable skill to have

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    12ga mossy 500 with interchangeable slug/bird barrels is what I started on. In MD you can only hunt with shotguns. But it was relatively cheap, effective, and has a short learning curve.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Savage axis bolt action 308 at walmart for $257 and a centerpoint scope for $69 4-16x40. Ammo cheaper there too.
    Avoid the remington 770 rifles
    CVA singleshot Hunter rifle at Academy in 7mm-08 or 243 for 209.
    Or get a singleshot rifle in 35 whelen, 444, 45-70, etc. and you can use for primitive season as well. .35 caliber and larger singleshot for primitive so you can use 357mag, 44 mag, 500 S&W,etc. and use for regular season if you wish .

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I think he is leaning more towards a Rifle. Any suggestions on a cheaper gun with a scope in a hunting caliber?

I'd go with a single shot 350 Rem mag that he can use during primitive weapon and rifle season. As for cost, I'd look for a quality rifle for sale used.

G

gunguy11

Pawn shop. Any good used rem 700, crack barrel rifle, or even a ole pump rifle. Looks for guns in the popular less expensive calibers. The key to making a clean ethical shot will be practicing. This isn't bench shooting he needs to be comfortable shooting standing, cross body, kneeling etc.
    My vote for around here would be .243, .270 or 30-06 even a .308.

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    Pawn shop. Any good used rem 700, crack barrel rifle, or even a ole pump rifle. Looks for guns in the popular less expensive calibers. The key to making a clean ethical shot will be practicing. This isn't bench shooting he needs to be comfortable shooting standing, cross body, kneeling etc.
    My vote for around here would be .243, .270 or 30-06 even a .308.

Savage axis bolt action 308 at walmart for $257 and a centerpoint scope for $69 4-16x40. Ammo cheaper there too.
    Good advice.

My vote is for buying a shotgun and a rifle. The pricepoints of "good" firearms is more reasonable than ever. I read the other day that (just like last year), December is supposed to set a record or NICS checks... we might crack 2 million in just one month. So if he's going to do it, he should buy now before everybody is out-of-stock of everything.

How about 2 guns.

Any Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 will do double/triple duty as both home defense, bird, deer, range, etc... Barrels are cheap enough that you can have a standard 18.5 for the closet, a 24" for the field, and a rifled barrel for sabots to take deer "way out there". You can do a gun and an extra barrel, plus a case, choke, and ammo for $500 easy. Plus the aftermarket is huge, parts are everywhere... heck, I bet even ToysRUs sells Mossy 500's.

For a rifle, I've read great things about the Ruger American. They're in the $350 range I think, and you can't go wrong with 30-06... CAN'T GO WRONG. There are strong arguments for a dozen other calibers, but 30-06 is the F-150 of calibers here in the lower 48... (maybe even the F-250 of calibers).

As for scopes, don't kill yourself. Weaver/Redfield/Nikon/Bushnell... pick one for about $200 in 3-9x40 with a reticle he likes, and be done with it.

You can have 2 great guns plus an optic for under $1000 certainly, but if his budget will allow $1500, he can cover everything from point-blank out to around 500yds with a few good accessories, like a case, rest, etc. Buying quality used, he doesn't even have to spend that much... food for thought.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Shotgun using buckshot or rifled slug (not sabot slugs in rifled barrel) are most effective in archery range. (less than 30 yards).
    Growing up in a state with no rifle season one quickly learns the capabilities of the 12ga slug.
    The standard 1oz foster slug in a smooth barrel is good up to 75 yards for the average hunter, the brenneke type is good to about 100.
    The new sabots are also good to around 100yds, with a rifled barrel you can easily reach 150 with confidence.

Most people really underestimate the capabilities of the 12ga slug.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom