which .22 is better. ruger sr22 or m&p22 ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catman3516

Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    belle chasse
    Like the title assays which will be a better .22 for me and the kids to plink with,target shoot, the usual. Other than price is there really much difference between the 2 ?

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I've had nothing but good luck with two S&W 15-22's. I personally prefer the S&W because it is a true AR clone other than the top of the magazines having a different contour. Since my kids will likely grow up using the Ar as their primary platform, why not get them started on something that works EXACTLY the same way? The 15-22 is a proper AR-15, just in .22LR caliber. The SR can't say that.

Ruger makes some good guns, and the 22/45 is a superb 22 pistol - but for the $$ give me a 15-22/"real" AR.

I think he was asking about pistols, not rifles.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Ruger SR22 = all aluminum + 10/22 action (long history of being super reliable)
    M&P 15-22 = all polymer + AR style blowback action (I think??)

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I think he was asking about pistols, not rifles.

Ahh, if that is the case then all you have to look at is the size. The M&P22 pistol is just too big for kids hands IMO.
    Also, the Ruger weighs 17.5 ounces while the M&P weighs 24.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    speaking just about the M&P22, i can say it's really nice. for me, it has been reliable, and works very well. it holds 12rnds and not your typical 10rnds. so in a bowling pin match, you have 2 extra rounds in case you miss. what i like most about it, it feels like a full size gun in your hands and not a toy. what i do not like is that you CANNOT change out any back straps, but fitment is still good, just wish i had the option even if they didn't include the extra backstraps. another thing i didn't like is the feel of the thumb safety, as mine is mushy. it doesn't give that positive click like a 1911 does. i never had an M&P w/ a thumb safety so i can comment as to if that is normal.

on another note, i'm very happy it's threaded and by adding a simple Walther P22 threaded barrel adapter, you can then through on a suppressor. the M&P22 is great suppressed or unsuppressed. another thing, mag prices are very high and hard to find too.

good luck on making your choice. either way, i don't think you can make a bad one with the two you chose.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    In that case, all I can say is I prefer the 22/45 to most other modern 22s but the reassembly is a pain.

There are a couple of nuances to getting it together but once you have done it a few times it does get easier. When I shot my Mk III monthly I was in practice and could almost do it blindfolded. It's been a while so I would have to think about it for a minute.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The Ruger Mark III or 22/45 is pretty much the standard when it comes to .22 autoloaders. Lots of aftermarket support.... kinda like Glock is with centerfires.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    Was about to mention the Mark III, you beat me to it. I don't have one, but my friend does. Shoots flawlessly everytime, cheap or good ammo. I've personally seen it go through 1000s of rounds without a FTF/FTE.

Also the Browning Buckmark .22 seems to be solid too. My uncle-in-law has one and raves about it. I've shot it a few times but not enough to say it's better than the Ruger Mark III.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I've shot the buckmark enough to know that it doesn't compare to the Rugers. It is very comfortable, but the barrel is attached by two screws and can move left and right when they loosen up. If you look at them in person, you will see that the design just isn't as good.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I've shot the buckmark enough to know that it doesn't compare to the Rugers. It is very comfortable, but the barrel is attached by two screws and can move left and right when they loosen up. If you look at them in person, you will see that the design just isn't as good.

I've never had this problem at all, and I've got 10k plus rounds through mine.

1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    The Ruger Mark III or 22/45 is pretty much the standard when it comes to .22 autoloaders. Lots of aftermarket support.... kinda like Glock is with centerfires.

Gotta agree. I have a Mark II that i have no idea of how many rounds have been shot.Regular cleaning and it has always fired with no problems.

clem131

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    BATON ROUGE, LA
    the sr22 is a sweet shooting little gun but its not "big hands" friendly no matter what grip you put on.
    but it is pretty reliable. my wife loves it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom