which 45 to trade for?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ian Johnson

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    ponchatoula
    So currently I own a hi power 9mm that outshoots my 226 9mm by miles, at least for me it does. Ive been wanting to get into shooting 45acp for a while now and am considering trading in my 226 for a nice 45acp, the problem is I like too many. Currently Im looking at various 1911s, the hk usp series both full size and compact, and the fnp45.

what do yall think? any other suggestions?

thanks
    Ian

btw still gonna get another sig one day but this time in .357sig:D

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Man.. .45's are like women. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors & flavors and there are plenty of good ones out there.

I have always been a "purist" about a .45 gun, meaning I think the 1911 platform is "it".

However, I have shot just about every other platform there is for the .45 and really, the choice is strictly going to be yours to make.

Some other goodies are the Sig P220, HK USP, HK45, HK45c and the FN.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Sringfield XDM competition
    xdm_45_comp-tfb.jpg
    My current fav. I could not beleive how acurate these were for me. I got 9 and buddy got 45 and can take down spent 12 gauge hulls all day at 25 m. I shot a cotton mouth in half at 35 meters... Had to count that one off since had witnesses :) Cover with red dot pull trigger

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sringfield XDM competition
    xdm_45_comp-tfb.jpg
    My current fav. I could not beleive how acurate these were for me. I got 9 and buddy got 45 and can take down spent 12 gauge hulls all day at 25 m. I shot a cotton mouth in half at 35 meters... Had to count that one off since had witnesses :) Cover with red dot pull trigger

If you shoot sub 1" at 25 yards with a pistol that should only be combat accurate you could make some money shooting that pistol.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If you shoot sub 1" at 25 yards with a pistol that should only be combat accurate you could make some money shooting that pistol.
    Yeah I'm going to look into just that when things slow down with career stuff. My firnd with 45 is getting into comp shooting ALOT . Hopefully going into 2013 will have more time.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you're going with a .45acp then it should be a 1911. Especially if you plan on shooting competition with it. I'm partial to Springfield, but I'm not a regular competitor. STI seems to be pretty popular with the competition crowd but others can guide you better than I can...

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd not recommend a 1911 as your first .45 ACP pistol.

Any of the polymer pistols would serve you better: HK, Glock, M&P, Springfield.

There is a steep (and expensive) learning curve on the 1911. It's worth the climb but you could purchase a damned good firearm with a great chance that it will run correctly with at least the HK45 Compact. If you look seriously at the HK consider the LEM trigger.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    If you want to get an extremely nice 1911 get an Ed brown. It is a work of art. And shoots extremely well. Fit and finish are tight.

Esmereldagrips1-2.jpg

Esmerelda2-2.jpg

Last edited:

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you want to get an extremely nice 1911 get an Ed brown. It is a work of art. And shoots extremely well. Fit and finish are tight.

Esmereldagrips1-2.jpg

Esmerelda2-2.jpg

Charles, I'm moving in. I'll clean your guns for free, and you will not even notice me there.
    Tne only request is to let me shoot one every once and a while.

Ian Johnson

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    ponchatoula
    I know this might be a long shot but have any of yall shot an hk usp compact? I did go to jims and handle many
    and thats the one that felt best in my hand

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I know this might be a long shot but have any of yall shot an hk usp compact? I did go to jims and handle many
    and thats the one that felt best in my hand

Definitely not a long shot in the least. Tons of us have. I have and love the HK compact 45's a lot. I own an HK45C. They are very comparable. Very well made, reliable, accurate firearms.

Top Bottom