Which bullets are illegal??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshall1090

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    I was wondering if it was legal to own Winchester Ranger T-Series bullets in Louisiana?

I know it is illegal to have "armor peircing" bullets but I don't know exactly where the line is for what ammo you can own. I like having the cool stuff but I want to stay legal.

Also what are dome other rare .40 S&W rounds?

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    NO bullets are illegal. Whoever told you that is incorrect. Ranger T is perfectly legal, I have stacks of it and Federal HST. There are several online vendors that sell it, and I also saw a vendor selling it at the last gunshow.

And...welcome to Bayou Shooter. :cool:

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    M995 is illegal. T-series is not.

T-series is not armor-piercing, nor is it the best thing available in all calibers, etc. It's just another way to skin a cat.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    True, but at this point it's practically just an internet myth and not available to civilians by virtually any means. Just something for guys on ARFCOM to daydream about. :p

I used to think the same thing. It's out there. Just VEEERRRRY rare, and those who have it don't like to talk about it much.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    One thing that I always find comical, when checking a gun on a traffic stop, and see that it has like 3-4 fmj rounds in it, I always ask why they don't fully load their magazines with some better ammunition like a jhp. You would be surprised how many say "Because they are illegal." give me a chuckle every time.

Once thigh it kinda pissed me off when I was in academy on my way home from work to pick up some ammo (in uniform) and some dude in front of me said to the guy behind the counter with the most ghetto accent "say dogg, lemme get sum of dem cop kills bullets". I politely cleared my throat and when he turned around and saw me, he actually went. Pale, and walked out of the store. Haha

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I carry Ranger 9mm +p+. When my brother got his CCW I had to convince him they weren't illegal and order him a box myself. All his Texas gun buddies told him that was illegal ammo.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    and as far as I know, Winchester PDX-1 = Winchester Ranger T-Series = old Black Talons (right?)
    Black Talons were never illegal. The Feds strongarmed Winchester by threatening to cancel all their ammo orders and buy from others if Winchester didn't pull the Black Talon from the market. Winchester complied-in a way. They sold ammo under the Black Talon name to LE and the identical Ranger SXT on the commercial market. It's often joked that SXT means "Same Exact Thing".

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    and as far as I know, Winchester PDX-1 = Winchester Ranger T-Series = old Black Talons (right?)

Wrong. PDX1 is a bonded bullet and does not have sharp petals exposed when expanded as they are bonded to the core. It is Winchester' Gold Dot, is the best way I can describe it.
    Winchester Ranger T-series is the evolution of the Ranger SXT (not plain SXT, which was marketed to citizens and had a castrated reverse taper jacket without the sharp "talons" but Ranger, mind you), which is an evolution of the "Black Talon". T-series got longer, much more aggressive petals in an effort to compete with HST's expansion numbers. The Ranger SXT looks very similar to the Black Talon when expanded, minus of course the black lubalox coating.

Here is the difference, in pictures.
    This is a 230gr .45ACP Black Talon
    blacktalon.jpg

This is a 230gr .45 ACP Ranger SXT
    image022.jpg

This is a 230gr .45 ACP Ranger T-series
    DSC_0063.jpg

This is a 230gr .45 ACP PDX1
    BallisticPhotoSummary051.jpg

I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion regarding these rounds.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom