Which is best .22 plinker?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I am trying to decide which .22 pistol to buy for plinking/target so any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    I have it narrowed down to the Ruger Mark III, the Browning Buckmark, or the cheaper S&W 22A.
    Picking one of them up today so any advice?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Ruger mostly, but most .22's are pretty good. I like the revolvers because you can shoot any .22 round made, BB caps, CB caps, short, longs, long rifles, rat shot. You will be surprised at how much fun CB caps are to shoot.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Ruger gets my vote. I have two Rugers, I have the MKIII Hunter and the 22/45. Both are excellent.

I have a Browning also and it does shoot good but I really like my rugers.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I ended up getting the Browning Buck Mark. It only came with 1 mag tho and OTD was $325. Anyone have a mag for sale or know where to buy them?
    Academy doesn't sell extra mags for this.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Ya Walther P22 is good. I have had mine for 2 years now and wanting to add something different to the .22 collection.

I also noticed the SigSauer .22 Mosquito but don't know anything about them other than they look real good. Anyone have any firsthand experience with them? Read a review that said they are finicky on their ammo but so is my P22.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    The Buckmark is a good gun. I think they Look better than the Ruger but there is a bit more after market for the Rugers.

Try CDNN for mags.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Buckmark. The Rugers are nice but the Buckmarks are better. I've owned more than a few of each. The Buckmark trigger is made like the High Standard Victor and similar guns. There is more aftermarket support stuff for the Rugers. The Ruger MK I was made to be a cheaply manufactured gun. It is that and more. It is actually a fine weapon. However, I find the Buckmark to be slightly superior. I also don't like how the Rugers have gone from economical to expensive at a rate that seems much higher than just regular inflation. I recently sold my 10" Stainless MK II and kept a Buckmark. The MK II was a fine pistol, though.
    Also, if you are spending the bucks, check out the offerings from SIG, S&W, and others.
    Shoot them all before you decide. You can't go wrong with either Ruger or Browning. It will probably come down to which one feels better and which one you can hit stuff with.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    OH, yeah, the P22s are OK, but not in the same class as the Rugers and Brownings. If you shoot them, too, you'll see what I mean. Not bad, but not as good as the Browning, IMHO.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I like the Ruger MKII. I picked up a S&W 22A last summer and it is fun to shoot. The S&W 22A will run you a little less then a Ruger.
    I have a Kimber 22 convertion for a 1911 that I built a Rock Island frame for. I like it the best of all my 22 handguns but, you might not want to put $400 plus in a 22 pistol.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    I'm going to build a pistol around one of these:

389832.jpg

Volquartsen Superlite Ruger 10/22 Receiver

It's going to be kinda big, but being able to use 30 round 10/22 mags will make up for that. :D

Top Bottom