Which Remington 700???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So I posted a while back about building a long range hunting rifle, got some info. Things have changed, to advance the project!!!

Well a few weeks ago I won a shotgun in a raffle, but I have no use for it. I'm going to go to pick it up but just trade it towards a 700 .308. Now I just need to figure out which 700 to get that would be a good platform to build from.

I have no clue about long or short actions, or which model I need to start with. Remington makes waaaaay too many different variations for a rookie to figure out

What should I get? I don't want to spend more than $1200, and I'd like to be closer to $6-800, since the gun is basically going to end up being nothing more than a serial number surrounded by all custom parts.

Also should I stick with a .308, or would any other caliber be a better choice for long range hunting? Distance of 800yds max

Are there any models I should avoid?

I'm going to get the gun tuesday

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    In my OPINION, the .308 is not a good choice for long range hunting. However, quite a few members here will disagree with me, some will even send me hate mail.

I would recommend three for long range hunting: .300 RUM, .300 Weatherby Magnum, and .300 Winchester Magnum. Of course, I'm not an expert. These are just my personal opinions. Of these three, the only experience I have is the .300 Weatherby Mag. It was the one I used for my first "trophy" kill, and it couldn't be mounted because that caliber did too much damage to a neck shot.

Your opinion and other's opinion may and will differ.

Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The Remington 700 is a good action ONCE A GUNSMITH HAS SPENT HOURS WORKING ON IT. If you're doing this a little at a time then this makes sense. If you're buying a new gun and bringing it straight to a gunsmith for blueprinting, new barrel, new timney trigger, etc you might come out better buying a benchrest action (BAT, Nesikia, Surgeon, etc) and builiding a light varmint setup in .308.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This gun was originally set on about a 2 year timeline, and I didn't want to plop down a ton of money all at once on it. It's a side project that I don't want to have interfering with other toy purchases as well. The factory action, more than likely, won't be retained, but rather upgraded to a custom assembly, as opposed to modifying the stock setup.

The main reason I've decided to go with the 700 is industry support.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    So I posted a while back about building a long range hunting rifle, got some info. Things have changed, to advance the project!!!

Well a few weeks ago I won a shotgun in a raffle, but I have no use for it. I'm going to go to pick it up but just trade it towards a 700 .308. Now I just need to figure out which 700 to get that would be a good platform to build from.

I have no clue about long or short actions, or which model I need to start with. Remington makes waaaaay too many different variations for a rookie to figure out

What should I get? I don't want to spend more than $1200, and I'd like to be closer to $6-800, since the gun is basically going to end up being nothing more than a serial number surrounded by all custom parts.

Also should I stick with a .308, or would any other caliber be a better choice for long range hunting? Distance of 800yds max

Are there any models I should avoid?

I'm going to get the gun tuesday

Whats your final goal? Pure hunting rifle, target rifle, pimped out "tactical" bolt action? Makes a difference. With that said, 308 would not be my choice for a long range HUNTING rifle. 257 WBY Mag, or one of the 7mm or 300 mags.

If you're planning a full on custom rifle, why start with a new Remington? Pick up a pawn shop beater for $350 since you're scrapping everything else anyway.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    The Remington 700 is a good action ONCE A GUNSMITH HAS SPENT HOURS WORKING ON IT.

This is not entirely true. My FPR rifle that I have won two matches with is running a bone stock Rem 700 action with no work done to it. I do have a Jewel trigger in it. I have a Krieger 6x47L barrel on it and it shoots lights out. There are some on here that will back up my info. You can start with a 700 SPS in Stainless steel. If you don't stick with 308 and go with a different caliber reloading will be your friend. Reloading is just about a requirement to shoot accurately out to 800 yds.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    This is not entirely true. My FPR rifle that I have won two matches with is running a bone stock Rem 700 action with no work done to it. I do have a Jewel trigger in it. I have a Krieger 6x47L barrel on it and it shoots lights out. There are some on here that will back up my info. You can start with a 700 SPS in Stainless steel. If you don't stick with 308 and go with a different caliber reloading will be your friend. Reloading is just about a requirement to shoot accurately out to 800 yds.

I agree with this, too. I have had my 700 BDL for 25 years now. It was a model built in 1964.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    My opinions...

I'd suggest learning how to shoot consistently at 300yds. Then step out to 600yds and find out that it's a completely different type of shooting before attempting to wound an animal at 800yds. A .308 is perfect for learning how to shoot at 600yds and in. Once you get that done, if you want to build a long range hunting rifle there are much more suitable calibers out there such as the .300wm, .300rum, and 7mm rem. mag. At those distances the equipment you're shooting is important, but not as important as your skill to make the shot.

Just yesterday I watched highly capable shooters with decades of experience shoot a .308 from a completely stable position, with match ammo, at a known distance, with the perfect dope dialed in and warm barrels shoot within a 6" circle and then make a slight mistake in a wind call which resulted in the next shot completely missing what would be the vitals of a deer.......at ONLY 600yds. I was one of them. Remington doesn't make a rifle that takes care of the variables for you, so if you're wanting to hunt that far without the experience of knowing the limitations of the cartridge you're going to use, pick the cheapest one and go with it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Was anyone else around Camp Pendleton in 1970 ?? We shot 600 yds with M 14 and were able to connect to vitals most of the time...some better than others
    I would not even attempt to try that today, just saying the 762 x 51 will reach out. Is that close to the civilian 308 load ??

BTW...we had expurts giving us the settings on military sights ( peep sights if you wanna )

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    My opinions...

I'd suggest learning how to shoot consistently at 300yds. Then step out to 600yds and find out that it's a completely different type of shooting before attempting to wound an animal at 800yds. A .308 is perfect for learning how to shoot at 600yds and in. Once you get that done, if you want to build a long range hunting rifle there are much more suitable calibers out there such as the .300wm, .300rum, and 7mm rem. mag. At those distances the equipment you're shooting is important, but not as important as your skill to make the shot.

Just yesterday I watched highly capable shooters with decades of experience shoot a .308 from a completely stable position, with match ammo, at a known distance, with the perfect dope dialed in and warm barrels shoot within a 6" circle and then make a slight mistake in a wind call which resulted in the next shot completely missing what would be the vitals of a deer.......at ONLY 600yds. I was one of them. Remington doesn't make a rifle that takes care of the variables for you, so if you're wanting to hunt that far without the experience of knowing the limitations of the cartridge you're going to use, pick the cheapest one and go with it.

This. Definitely best advice hands down. Wish I would've asked more questions instead of learning the hard way. Talk about wasting ammo....

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Jmeng, I'm doing it because of the cost of the gun I won being put towards the price of whatever I end up getting, so it cuts $400 of the price.

Yrdawg, I was around pendleton in the late 90's and we would do it with M16's at 500 meters and I could hit center mass 8/10, next to a runway where the wind was constantly changing, on irons. That Expert Rifle badge doesn't get given out for nothing ;)

I am pretty comfortable with my abilities at 600yds. I have no plans to reload as of yet, which was part of the reason for sticking with the vast selection of off the shelf .308 rounds, and the high availability of inexpensive rounds to go have fun at shorter distances.

One of the reasons I am trying to avoid anything larger than .308 is mainly getting beaten to death everytime I shoot it, thus detering me from wanting to get more trigger time. I'm not gonna lie, Ritten, your 300wm mag, while accurate and comfortable, just wore my shoulder out in short time. Also I was trained to shoot "rapid fire" at 300yds, and could consistently go 10 shots, 10 seconds, in an 8" ring, with my groups usually being well within the confines of the ring. It has been about a decade since I did it, but I'm ready to start getting back to that and then some.

I want a nice bolt action hunting rifle, with almost the capabilities of being a "long range" target rifle. I feel that sub 1 MOA is adequate, as in, not looking for a 1/2moa or anything at distance, although it would be nice at less than 300yds.

I am also open to the idea of just getting a .308 as sort of a gateway to building a farther reaching gun. It will give me plenty of opportunity to work on my skills at distance with a large caliber, before investing in a large build, and just keep the regular .308 for short distance local hunting.

***edit***
    I just wanted to reitterate, 800yds is the MAX effective range I'd like to have, 500-600 will be where I really would like the rifle to shine.

Last edited:

Cajuin

Village Idoit
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Walker, LA
    QUOTE=LACamper;839855].....If you're buying a new gun and bringing it straight to a gunsmith for blueprinting, new barrel, new timney trigger, etc you might come out better buying a benchrest action (BAT, Nesikia, Surgeon, etc) and building a light varmint setup in .308.[/QUOTE]
    I'll 2nd this. If I where to build a long range rifle it would start with a benchrest action. Some light reading at http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

But if you looking to buy a rifle and due one upgrade at a time, then a rem 700 is great choice.
    1st: You will need to decide on a caliber.
    A .308 is a short action, great all purpose round for < 600 yards of ethical big game hunting, It would be what I would recommend to many many of people,
    However, if you want to kill big game at >600 yards, you really should consider a larger caliber such a .300 win mag. Can you hit it with a .308 just as easy, maybe, but I would prefer alittle more punch.

2nd: Which model? All have the one thing you care about (action). It's just personal taste after that.... I would get atleast a 24"" barrel to start. Police model looks about right.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I believe I've about made up my mind.

I'm planning to pick up a 700 sps varmint, hopefully used for a good price. I'll then go with a McMillan A5 stock, that'll put me in the range of a new 700P, and couple hundred shy of 5R. Haven't quite decided on which scope to get, but most likely going to try to pick up a deal on a used Mark 4 or Nightforce, for the time being. If skill improves, and need arises, I'll upgrade to a 22" SS heavy barrel or whatever the hell ends up being a good upgrade at that point. Also planning on running an Atlas bipod, and still undecided on trigger options.

I think 600yds for ethical hunting will be practical for the rifle, once the shooter is ready to do it. I think 800yds will kill the hell out of some paper though lol

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    NightForce over Leupold for optics and I have no complaints about Jewell triggers. The only thing left you will need besides a pic rail to mount the Atlas to is a quality 20 MOA base, good rings and bottom metal. I like NightForce, Seekins and Surgeon respectively.

My 700P developed into this for reasons you can read in the thread. It seems like this is the direction you are going toward. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...Thank-you-LA-Precision-Rifles&highlight=Atlas

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I will agree that 800 yards hunting needs a .300 or something. Sure, some .308 VLD projectiles will do great even past 1,000 yards, but OTM's aren't meant for deer in this caliber. Get a .300 and load it correctly. My .02

NF gets rave reviews, but I have only used Leupold, and it does fine. I suspect the NF has better light transmission, though.

I think an OEM 700P with the threads chased will do just fine. It should hold .5-.75 MOA all day long.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Your build is VERY similar to where I'd like to be with mine

The Nightforce and Leupold, that were both similar to each other, were nice but I definately liked the Nightforce better. A few people I work with also have nightforce optics and all agree that it just soaks up all available light.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Jmeng, I'm doing it because of the cost of the gun I won being put towards the price of whatever I end up getting, so it cuts $400 of the price.

Yrdawg, I was around pendleton in the late 90's and we would do it with M16's at 500 meters and I could hit center mass 8/10, next to a runway where the wind was constantly changing, on irons. That Expert Rifle badge doesn't get given out for nothing ;)

I am pretty comfortable with my abilities at 600yds. I have no plans to reload as of yet, which was part of the reason for sticking with the vast selection of off the shelf .308 rounds, and the high availability of inexpensive rounds to go have fun at shorter distances.

One of the reasons I am trying to avoid anything larger than .308 is mainly getting beaten to death everytime I shoot it, thus detering me from wanting to get more trigger time. I'm not gonna lie, Ritten, your 300wm mag, while accurate and comfortable, just wore my shoulder out in short time. Also I was trained to shoot "rapid fire" at 300yds, and could consistently go 10 shots, 10 seconds, in an 8" ring, with my groups usually being well within the confines of the ring. It has been about a decade since I did it, but I'm ready to start getting back to that and then some.

I want a nice bolt action hunting rifle, with almost the capabilities of being a "long range" target rifle. I feel that sub 1 MOA is adequate, as in, not looking for a 1/2moa or anything at distance, although it would be nice at less than 300yds.

I am also open to the idea of just getting a .308 as sort of a gateway to building a farther reaching gun. It will give me plenty of opportunity to work on my skills at distance with a large caliber, before investing in a large build, and just keep the regular .308 for short distance local hunting.

***edit***
    I just wanted to reitterate, 800yds is the MAX effective range I'd like to have, 500-600 will be where I really would like the rifle to shine.

Now, the above highlited statement is impressive.

You might want to look at the .260. With a good 140ish high BC bullet, there would be less recoil and far better ballistics than a .308. .308s can be very accurate, but they allow many more variables to affect the bullet when the distance gets longish. Remember, this is an animal, not paper, so terminal ballistics become more of a factor. You need enough velocity to expand the bullet and minimize windage and elevation issues.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    Was anyone else around Camp Pendleton in 1970 ?? We shot 600 yds with M 14 and were able to connect to vitals most of the time...some better than others
    I would not even attempt to try that today, just saying the 762 x 51 will reach out. Is that close to the civilian 308 load ??

BTW...we had expurts giving us the settings on military sights ( peep sights if you wanna )

I was there in March of '70. Plt 2006.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom