Which rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    A friend if mine owed me some money that he couldn't come through on so offered me one of his bolt action rifles as payment. I agreed to it but not sure what I'd want or what I'd use it for. I won't be doing any big game hunting anytime soon (but,you never know) and more than likely, I would use it for some impromptu short to medium range target shooting. The possibility of hog or coyote hunting could actually happen but for know, not anytime soon. Anyway my choices are......22-250, 25-06, .243 and .270. They are all quality bolt action rifles and NO......I will not trade it for a carbine or the such. I don't own a bolt action rifle so I'll probably keep this one. What do y'all think?

Incidentally, the only varmint rifle I've ever hunted with was a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I don't see myself going back to that and bolt action is something I've always wanted to try out.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    For target shooting, the .243 is the best caliber out of those all day long. Ammo will be cheaper than the .270 and the 6mm bullet is an accurate one well past 1000yds and has a higher BC than the other choices. The .270 or .25-06 would be a better choice for deer hunting, but you said that's not your plans for it.

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Agreed, 243 all day. For me the individual rifle details would have a huge impact also though. Not everyone has the same ideas on what makes a "quality" bolt action.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    243 (or any of the other chamberings) will kill any hog that ever walked, especially if you use a little common sense on bullet selection (stay away from varment bullets). Again, the rifle itself will come into play. For hog hunting I'd think you'd want something short, light, and fast handlling. So if it happens to have a 26" long heavy barrel, it might not be the best choice.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    It's one of the best all around flattest shooting calibers out there.

"best" is subjective and the rest is just wrong. Actually, the .270 has the most drop at 300yds with fast loads out of all 4 calibers that he listed. In the realm of modern day ballistics, the .270 sucks.

Last edited:

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    as good as the .243 is..., the 25-06 is light years ahead as a deer cartridge.And with todays premium bullets,it stands right next to the .270 up to and includin' elk....out to 400 yrd.s,then the .270 takes over.Just the observations of this relocated Montana man.If I were to choose one for shootin'/huntin' just here in Loozy-ana...,I'd go with the .22-250 and 60 grn. Nosler partions and never look back.

Last edited:

Snuggie308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Ritten is correct. The 243 is the best all around and flattest shooting for long distance, deer, cayote, varmint, etc. You may have to have some work done on the 77. Depends on what accuracy you are looking for and at what distance.

Top Bottom