Which Rimfire Suppressor???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    To plink, or not to plink? ...that is the question. I'm deciding on purchasing a Rimfire suppressor, and which one?

So, here are some questions:

1) Yea or nea, on Rimfire suppressor?

2) Which one should I get?

Opinion, thoughts, stats etc. are welcome.

...Let the thread commence!

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Absolutey yes. If you are going to suppress anything, suppress .22LR. Get subsonic/standard velocity ammo and have at it. just about all you hear is the gun action and the bullet hit the target. The supersonic 22lr, 17hmr and up will obviously be louder, but still much more pleasant to shoot than without the can.

As far as which one, my favorite is the SiCo sparrow. It's easy to clean, has top notch suppression, and sleek design. You'll hear folks talk about the first round pop on the sparrow as a negative. I guess if you put a dB meter next to you'll pick it up, but in a hunting situation or area with any kind of ambient noise, it's pretty much unnoticeable.
    To be fair, I've also go time with the spectre ii, AAC element ii, Gemtech mist 22 takedown, and a couple cheapo home mades. The name brand cans are all pretty closely quiet. The home mades where close but not as refined. Just make sure you get a takedown model. 22 cans get real dirty and need cleaning every few hundred rounds.

STATs: they are pretty readily available on YouTube. Frankly, they will all make you wish you'd bought them years ago.

Don't know where you are located, but you're welcome to demo a few of mine before you buy if you want to. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Suppressed .22 is super fun, my Ruger American Rimfire with my Tac-65 is one of the coolest toys I have with subsonic ammo. You hear the firing pin click and the round impact.

The tac65 isn't the most high end can, but it was cheap, seems durable, and is fun.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    YES DO IT!! I love my specter II. Waiting on a Mist to get out of jail right now. I would not get a dedicated can, such as mist, as a first can, just to be more versatile. Also, had I looked into them a little more, I probably would have gone with a huntertown integral for the 10/22; it's full auto rated, cheaper and if I'm not mistaken, it has ports for keeping faster stuff subsonic. Only other thing I've shot .22 through is my Octaine .45; it's just as quiet. The standard velocity golden bullets are staying subsonic through my pistols.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Whats your host? For smaller pistols, the aluminum cans are lighter and dont throw off the balance. For rifles all steel is fine. With al you have to be more careful with cleaning them. Steel cans can be tumbled in steel pins, or dipped, and i imagine have better longevity. Ti gets best of both worlds but are pricier

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a sparrow and pilot and like them, my brother runs a sparrow, pilot 2, and element, and likes his. Really can't go wrong, but I want to say his element doesn't have the first round pop.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have a warlock...very lightweight. If I had to do it all over again I would have went with a spectre or a sparrow. I hear the monolitic core of the sparrow contributes to more of a first round pop in comparison to the traditional cta baffle design.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah pretty much all the ones mentioned here are pretty comparable just comes down to the different features and what the cans made out of.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've been more than happy with my AAC Element 2, and currently have a Dead Air Mask in NFA jail. I think in terms of performance it's mostly splitting hairs, but I really like the Dead Air guys and they make great suppressors.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom