Which sights for M&P 9mm?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Hello everyone,

I just bought a sweet M&P 2nd hand and now need/want new sights. The current sights aren't bad, I just want to ask y'alls opinion. Gun will be a nightstand piece or maybe a truck gun. I am obviously new to pistol shooting other than plinking a few rounds at the camp, etc. Are sights easily changed or is this better left to the pro's? Thanks for the input.

FYI- I have learned much from you guys and y'alls posts. Thanks again for the free knowledge and take care.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Do not try to change the rear sight if you are not familiar with it. You will have small parts flying. Look at the Ameriglo night sights.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I like the Bowie sights as well, made by Ameriglo and very well designed.

I would definitely recommend bringing it to a pro or someone with a sight pusher. The M&P sights can be VERY tight, and you risk damaging the sights and slide if you just start beating on them with a hammer.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    beating on them with a hammer.

You mean there is another way to do it :)

Red Dot

1.jpg

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    I like the Bowie sights as well, made by Ameriglo and very well designed.

I would definitely recommend bringing it to a pro or someone with a sight pusher. The M&P sights can be VERY tight, and you risk damaging the sights and slide if you just start beating on them with a hammer.

I use a MGW sight pusher, makes changing them out a breeze...

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You guys and your fancy tools. The sides are all my sights are covered in brass from the punch,

+1, and I managed to cave the edge on this last one a little bit. :o It's a hard use gun, though-- it ain't supposed to be pretty. (On a side note-- who the heck did your stippling? That is awesome looking!)

My vote goes to the AmeriGlo Hack sights. They're my new favorites, hands down. All of the features I like about my competition sight picture, with MUCH more durability and in a far more streamlined package.

My EDC M&P wears them, and I don't plan on changing them. Ever.

EDIT to add: On the topic of DIY installation, people have allegedly cracked their slides pushing the sights in and out from the wrong direction. A tapered dovetail was the cause, IIRC. There's a product out to ensure the little retaining plate and plunger spring don't leave the gun during sight swaps, but I used a folded piece of cigarette box to great effect the last time. :mamoru:

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well I bought the tool because I've helped a few folks install sights and/or Apex kits. Banging on your own gun is one thing, on someone else's...

That, and I just plain like cool tools. :D

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I don't blame you, Everytime I am hammering on sights I think "I should really buy a tool... nah this will be the last time" . Last set of sights I installed was the tightest ever. I was really hammering that punch. Had to re-profile the punch afterwards.

I did the stippling. I took a large round wood burner bit, sanded it flat and then sanded the sides into a triangle. I rotated the iron every press. Those little tools you speak of come with the apex kits. I have a ton of them now. And oddly, I can never find one when I need it.

Seriously though, you guys should try red dots.

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    I don't blame you, Everytime I am hammering on sights I think "I should really buy a tool... nah this will be the last time" . Last set of sights I installed was the tightest ever. I was really hammering that punch. Had to re-profile the punch afterwards.

I did the stippling. I took a large round wood burner bit, sanded it flat and then sanded the sides into a triangle. I rotated the iron every press. Those little tools you speak of come with the apex kits. I have a ton of them now. And oddly, I can never find one when I need it.

Seriously though, you guys should try red dots.

Who milled your slide?

Top Bottom