Which would you choose and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The M&P line simply "feels & points" better to me than the glock line, I do own both and have ran both just as hard and have experienced a few issues with my Gen 4 G17, the M&P's have been cadillac's to me and eventhough I doubt I will ever sell the Glocks I am a better shooter on the M&P Platform.

With that being said depending on the type of job that you might have going with the Glock could be a smarter choice, having the ability to find parts for it worldwide is def an advantage compared to the M&P.

Shoot them both, and see what fits YOU the best.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    As above. ^

They are both equally fine guns. Go put each in your hand. Buy which ever feels best.

The more important part is getting the first 1000 rounds through a new gun so you can start to get to know it.

Of course, if this were a half way decent hypothetical gun shop, they'd stock P30s also.

Last edited:

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Im finding this funny , cus i convinced a friend of mine to get a newer pistol . And it was between these 2 . He settled on the glock 22 , or so he says . But eitherway u cant really go wrong . Granted if he got the M&P it came with a crimson trace . I figure 499 wasnt a bad price .

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    Just got the M&P myself after shooting my dad's g27 for years. As stated above, it just feels better to me. I can not really say anything about endurance, as mine is new, but I have also not ever heard anything bad about having to deal with S&W customer service. Both are definitely very good choices. My mind was made up the second I held the M&P.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I wouldn't buy either in .40 unless I had a specific need for a .40. If I had to pick one it would be the M&P because it was designed from the start as a .40 pistol and not just upscaled from 9mm.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I wouldn't buy either in .40 unless I had a specific need for a .40. If I had to pick one it would be the M&P because it was designed from the start as a .40 pistol and not just upscaled from 9mm.

Ha. This. And I'd buy it in .45, if I didn't have one already...

There are Gen 4 Glocks with issues-- enough to raise some concerns. I'm actually not sure about the G22, but I've personally handled and shot two G17's that needed to drop the double recoil spring in order to function reliably. (I also know of one owned by someone on this board with 20+k trouble free rounds, so YMMV.)

Like everyone else, the biggest seller for me is the ergonomics. The M&P is simply better, unless you're one of those rare hand sizes that prefers the Glock. It should point more naturally for everyone, although someone who is used to a Glock will find it takes a little bit of focus to unlearn that strange wrist cock required to keep their sights aligned. For most people, the grip profile of the M&P will be favored-- long and thin instead of round and fat.

Keep in mind that the stock triggers on either weapon aren't great. Most people prefer the Glock over the M&P in this regard, although after 1k rounds or so, the M&P smooths out quite a bit and takes the lead, IMHO. Just the same, if you go with the APEX DCAEK and RAM, you will have (at minimal cost) one of the best striker fired triggers available. I've heard SEVERAL Glock guys admit to this fact-- and that's saying something! Just be sure to factor this into your cost analysis, although frankly... an extra $100 or so should NEVER make or break a deal on a firearm that costs ~$500 anyway.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

A few articles I've read led me to believe that the Gen 4 pistols were all designed around the .40 and then downscaled to 9mm, which is why there have been some issues with the first batch of G4 9mm's.

But if we go back to the original G17 then yeah.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    M&P 40 over the G22 Gen 4... I just have seen some not-so-good things from the Gen 4s.

If it were Gen 3 22 to a M&P 40, I would take the G22 because I like the trigger more and I have more firing time on the Glock platform.

I really don't like the M&P trigger, unfortunately.

Top Bottom