Who CCs a G19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    My dilemma is...anality lol!! I wish i could own the whole Glock 9mm lienup but I don't...not for a while at least. I own a 17 and 19 and thinking of trading the 19 for a 26. Definitely keeping the 17 and a little concerned about making a 26 EDC. I could conceal a 19 but the 26 is so much easier,but......................when I can get full size functionality,capacity and better grip in a compact (19)....the 26 falls in between the X and the Z,if you know what I mean. So,I'm trying to decide if I should keep the 19 or go for a 26 instead. Yes,having all three is good,but not right now so I have to work with what I have in terms of Glocks. So....17 & 19 or 17 & 26?

Oh yeah...I'm 5'11" 185lbs and 42 with a 4 yr old son fit if you know what I mean.
    PM sent

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I started carrying a kahr cw40, hated that, moved to a usp .45 CT, hated that, moved to a 19 and loved it. Now settled on an M&P9fs with a light and really like it. If they made a G19 sized M&P, I would carry that. With a good holster, a full size gun conceals fine. Though I've decided I hate IWB and am moving toward OWB if I can have my shirt untucked.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    6 ft, and a shade over or under 200 pounds. (Depending)

I wear size 34 waisted pants, but that's to give me plenty of room for a IWB glock, I figure that makes me a 32 inch waist.

Carried a 19 for YEARS (A full sized 1911 before that)

Mainly switched to a pair of 26's, but due to switching to AIWB, which I don't do comfortably with a 19.

I did it the other day in the woods, It's no issue.

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I held my 26 this morning and my 19. The 26 just feels right to me. Still like my 19 but for daily carry it will be the 26 for me. And you know me, Im not small so carrying the 19 wouldn't be a problem!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I started carrying a kahr cw40, hated that, moved to a usp .45 CT, hated that, moved to a 19 and loved it. Now settled on an M&P9fs with a light and really like it. If they made a G19 sized M&P, I would carry that. With a good holster, a full size gun conceals fine. Though I've decided I hate IWB and am moving toward OWB if I can have my shirt untucked.

This, more or less.

I carried a G22 for several years in a cheap IWB. It was uncomfortable, but I accepted that and eventually it was as if it were never on.

Switched to an M&P 45 FS and haven't looked back.

It's all relative to how much concealment you really need, your chosen/restricted attire, and body shape and size-- somewhere in that order. With broad shoulders and only a rare handful of times per year where I actually have to tuck in a shirt, I manage just fine with a FS pistol-- at 6', 155. It ain't exactly invisible, and people looking specifically for the pistol can probably make out a print here and there with some of my less-than-perfect attire choices. But SWAT trained LEO, non-POG .mil and people who have spent MONTHS around me at a time never noticed-- so I'm guessing your standard criminal won't have the first clue, either.

I'd go with a G19 in your shoes, but that's just me. You may very well need the extra concealment offered by the G26, but I'm here to tell you that it doesn't have to be completely undetectable to work. My theory has always been that the deeper the concealment, the more cumbersome the drawstroke-- and that's not a sacrifice I've been willing (or HAD) to make, as of yet.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well said Sin-ster. I agree that people worry too much about concealment. When I first started carrying, I completely changed my attire and was wearing shirts that were way too big, etc. As my comfort level increased I started wearing my old clothes which are much more form fitting (not tight though). No one has EVER noticed I was carrying, save a couple coworkers who have literally seen the pistol because I bent over to pick something up, and that's only because I don't give a **** when I'm in our shop.

It works on the same theory as camouflage, our vision system tends to only see what we expect to see. If you're not specifically looking for printing (and 99.9% of people aren't), you simply won't see it.

As far as comfort, I'll say it again...a good holster and belt are a must. I do find "tactical" pants (5.11 covert cargo being my fav) help drastically, since they have additional belt loops to stabilize things and prevent sagging, as well as elastic in the waistband where the pistol is typically carried. They are not a necessity, and I really don't even like the whole tactical look, but they do make a big difference. Enough that on the weekends when it's jeans or regular ol' shorts, I much prefer carrying my G26.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I CC'ed my 17 for a year or so, before that a uspc. It's really no big deal hiding a full or fullish size pistol, a 19 would be a snap. I found IWB or OWB about equally comfortable. And it forces me to dress a little nicer than just a ratty t shirt lol.
    Granted, when I'm wearing a t shirt, shorts and flip flops I just have a BG 380 in a pocket holster. IMO all are viable. Just have something you'll actually pack around.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Thinking more about this, I thought it might be useful to list the criteria (in order of importance) by which I chose/would choose a CC handgun.

1) Is the cartridge for which it is chambered sufficient for SD?
    2) Is the pistol reliable (which includes to some extent "durable" as well)?
    3) How easy/difficult will it be to sufficiently train and practice with the pistol? (Not so much in terms of cost, but comfort and "shootability".)
    4) How well do I shoot the pistol naturally? (Ergonomics and *final* trigger feel, after changes and wear, are included.)
    5) How many modifications will it require, and are there sufficient products and personnel to make them happen?
    6) How available are magazines, holsters and other pertinent accessories-- and do they meet the durability criteria?
    7) How easy is it to understand the inner workings of the gun, perform basic maintenance, and find someone (including the manufacturer) to fix anything that goes REALLY wrong?
    8) How easy will it be to conceal?
    9) What is the final cost, including ammo to train with?
    10) Are there other benefits-- use in competition, familiarity with the platform, easy access to other people knowledgeable about the weapon, etc.?

For any given person, some of these stipulations might take on different levels of importance. But the first 3 should almost certainly never change, and at the very least, remain in the top 3!

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    I carried the G19 for a year or so but ended up switching to the 26 when I had to start using an ankle holster for concealed carry due to work attire, any carry is better than no carry. So the 26 works for IWB and ankle carry which means when I travel I take one gun and two holsters...very easy. I prefer the 26 it has become my favorite glock, however, if I were a .40 guy I would definitely carry the 23.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I've been carrying a 17 lately, no problems so far, other than I need to invest in a good IWB holster instead of this OWB I've been using. The main thing I notice is the extra weight, but it conceals as well as the 26, for my purposes at least.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I carried a G19 IWB until my pants started shrinking. went to a G26 in the pocket but the G19 is being added back here lately.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Damn J,how the hell do you put a 26 in your pocket? I have problems putting my J frame in my pocket much less a 26. You got some big pockets or I wear tiny pants. :D

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Speedracer, agree completely. I cannot stand IWB anymore, its too uncomfortable. I am using a Secret City Holster with some Unity prototype clips. Its been working well, is ultra comfortable and I feel fine wearing a slightly longer T-shirt.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    How about a Crossbreed (or clone) type holster?

I'm a fairly good-sized guy (which seems to be the most popular reason why some dislike IWB carry)and the Kholster I carry my Glock 36 in is so comfortable you almost forget it's there....The same goes for my Glock 22.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Have you tried a Low-Rider? If not, I suspect it might surprise you.

I've been think of purchasing one, but how low does it ride? I'm worried I won't be able to get a good enough grip on the gun.

I'd much rather buy local, and everyone seems to have great things to say about RM.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I have tried nearly every holster on the market. I waited 6 months for my last set. Which are great, the pistol I choose to carry is just too large IWB. I have tried the RM, but they wont make a light bearing holster, neither will PSS.

I dont mind IWB a M&P9c, but a M&P9FS with light and RMR, that is OWB all the way. Plus I dont have to change my belt size when I take it off and stow at work, or when I get back into the car. I am not all that worried about concealment.

I think I have found my ideal holster with Secret City and our prototype belt clips.

I am looking for a smaller gun I can Appendix IWB, debating between a revolver (ugh) and an auto. Not sure which it will be yet.

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I've been think of purchasing one, but how low does it ride? I'm worried I won't be able to get a good enough grip on the gun.

I'd much rather buy local, and everyone seems to have great things to say about RM.

I've not had an issue getting a grip on the draw. I try to practice my drawstroke with it daily. I've taken some classes with it (no conceal garment) simply to get used to it, and it worked rather well and provided good practice. The only issue I experienced in class was having my tucked in shirt untucking itself and finding its way into the holster. But, that will happen with any IWB and that much repetitive use. The solution was to just retuck the shirt during breaks and be mindful of keeping the holster clear between breaks.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Damn J,how the hell do you put a 26 in your pocket? I have problems putting my J frame in my pocket much less a 26. You got some big pockets or I wear tiny pants. :D

You wear tiny pants. There are more than a couple of us who pocket carry a 26.

I wear Carhartt Tapered fit Jeans and have no issues. (Uncle Mikes pocket holster)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom