Who Has An Optical Sight On a Handgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I have two Vipers, one on this M&P 9L and one on a Glock 19. I saw a Shield with a reflex red dot for concealed carry but not something I would consider doing.

z32ba2tv4rymw4lnvw.jpg

aqqm8zvyiqpo8zitzxx.jpg

My PPQ just got back from the machine shop, Viper mounted.
    hgbb4qbsoazg5fkdst30.jpg

These 3 weapons are range toys and not carry guns. For EDC I am carrying a Sig P365 with 12 round magazine.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    You can argue the cons all you wish, and even be right about a lot of them, but I still bet I'm right in the end.

Its not an argument, it is a discussion of facts and possibilities on a forum. The fact YOU perceive it as an argument, and ur statement "I still bet I'm right in the end" just indicates ur unwillingness to an open, educated discussion. Your mind is made up, and that's that!

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Ten years from now it will be odd to see a pistol that doesn't have an RDS.
    The only place I can see an RDS hindering concealment or draw is pocket or ankle carry.

Probably far less than 1% of the population carries a handgun daily and a very, very small percentage of those have a RDS.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    You can argue the cons all you wish, and even be right about a lot of them, but I still bet I'm right in the end.
    Over the long haul, Technology does not slow down or take steps backwards and I don't see RDSes on pistols being an exception to this... The benefits for aging eyes, low light shooting, and improved accuracy are just too much to ignore.
    These sights will continue to get tougher, cheaper, and easier to mount as manufacturers get on board.
    You've already seen it with rifles and pistols are simply the next step.
    Like quite a few of you here I'm sure, I can still remember doubting that everyone would eventually have, and "need", a home computer, and then that everyone would "need" a cell phone...
    Technology matches on, whether we need it or not.

RDS', lasers, lights, etc. are currently factory options on many guns and aftermarket for many more. I doubt these features will become standard on all firearms in the future. As for concealed carry guns, they are becoming smaller and lighter. I can't see the practicality of generally hanging optics on them in the future.

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    Its not an argument, it is a discussion of facts and possibilities on a forum. The fact YOU perceive it as an argument, and ur statement "I still bet I'm right in the end" just indicates ur unwillingness to an open, educated discussion. Your mind is made up, and that's that!
    Apparently I am coming across in a way I did not intend... I am a new guy around here and it is not my intention to stir up the calm waters. My apologies.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have an RMR on one of my guns, and it feels to me like an expensive toy. For me, Target acquisition with it is much slower, it’s something else to break, and it adds an unsightly mess to the top of the gun that I’d rather not have there. Kudos to those that find them useful, but I’ll stick with iron sights.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Apparently I am coming across in a way I did not intend... I am a new guy around here and it is not my intention to stir up the calm waters. My apologies.

Hey no problem GearFondler. Maybe I perceived your comment incorrectly. Lets have a spirited discussion, share some ideas and thoughts, keep an open mind, have a good time, and learn together :)

Last edited:

GulfCoast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2017
    Pascagoula, MS
    RMR's are not for everyone, but if you have certain vision problems they are a godsend. I have taken a couple of classes in pouring rain with RMR equipped Glocks, and its just not an issue. Cat Crap or something of that nature will take care of any fogging. I have not had any issue with my gun hanging on concealed draw strokes, but I have certainly not been in a gunfight with one. I HAVE had the RMR come flying off like a throwing star in a kung fu movie because it was mounted with the wrong length screws. Lesson learned there.

Top Bottom