Who makes your competition barrel?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I am attempting to gather data on competition barrels. I have noticed a large amount of competition AR shooters using JP and Krieger barrels. Both of these barrel manufacturers use cryogenic processing as part of their manufacturing process.

I would like to get a good idea of the percentage of competition AR shooters on this sight who use cryo processed barrels. So if you do not mind I would like your answers to a few questions.

1. Who makes the barrel on your competition AR?

2. As far as other competition firearms who are the barrel manufactures?

3. What improvement to your firearm (other than accuracy) do you think would better your performance?

Thank you for your time spent to provide this valuable information, I will post any substantial findings

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    1. Noveske

2. Kreiger and Bartlein

3. Quality optics, a rigid quality stock that fits you (or puts the rifle in a good firing position that still feels natural and you are not try to "work" to get in that position) and a good TRIGGER!

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    1. ABS carbon fiber wrap on a Mike Rock stainless blank.

2. Don't have any other non-factory barrels.

3. A free-float full length handguard to fit a POF piston.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    1 JP

2 DPMS and AA, both of them I had you cryo

3 Jp adj. pins to take the slack out of the upper and lower fit

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Warning! The following information is presented as I understand it and therefore my be wrong.

When looking into a barrel look into what process they use to build the barrel and what their tolerances are, as this will have the largest impact on performance. I want to add that - if we assume all methods created the exact same rifling dimensionally within the barrel - while cold, all processes should produce the same accuracy. The difference will come into how the barrel performs HOT. Different methods put different amounts of stress into the barrel. When the barrel warms up, it will move more with some methods than others. The truth is that in addition to this not all manufacturing processes hold the same tolerances... the ones that introduce less stress are also - generally - more accurate.

IMO if i'm paying good money for a barrel i want single cut rifling that has it's gas port centered in a rifling valley (Krieger). You should also look into newer EDM cut barrels, these will be the most accurately made - I'm not sure if this method inputs less heat than single cut.

Perhaps just as important is the twist rate... but this depends on what grain bullet you plan to shoot. personally I don't buy the 'no such thing as over stabilizing the bullet.' Basically, if the bullet was perfectly symmetrically, and perfectly balanced when it exited the barrel, then it wouldn't matter but how often does anything happen perfectly?

- - I had typed out why I think this that involved some basics from vibrations and fluids as they related to the traveled path of the bullet and the effects from different angular velocitys with a slightly shifted mass moment of inertia... but, well... yeah. Someone should write a CFD program to simulate that.

2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the great information, I plan to attend some events in the future and am looking forward to meeting some of you that I have not yet had the opportunity to meet.

TheLawson brought up some issues that affect accuracy in barrels I would like to comment on. Cryo processing addresses some of the most important qualities in a great competition barrel. Heat management, vibrations and residual stresses are important factors that can have a profound effect on the performance of a barrel as TheLawson stated above. Because Deep cryogenic processing addresses all three of these it is well suited for competition barrels as well as any barrel. Because cryogenic processing evens out the metal matrix of the barrel it allows the barrel to heat and cool very evenly, this addresses the accuracy problems associated with warping as a barrels heats up. Additionally the metals porosity is reduced, thereby reducing friction and the resulting heat and drag. Cryogenic processing also relieves stresses implied to the barrel during the manufacturing process, so the problem of which manufacturing process induces the most stresses on the barrel could no longer be such an issue and may open up other factors to consider. The benefits of cryo processing combine to help the stabilization of the projectile which results in a more accurate rifle. I am also testing processed projectiles in the hopes to further reduce friction and improve the stabilization and balance of the projectile, initial results are promising.

Kreiger barrels would cryo process their blanks and the re-process as the last step in their barrel manufacturing process. Unfortunately they were sued and no longer cryo process as the last step but still process the blanks. Of course, there are many factors that make up a great barrel like the choice of material, design and quality craftsmanship but I believe cryo processing is part of the reason they produce such a quality product. I do not think it is a coincidence that many of you as well as other professional shooters use Krieger and other processed barrels. I am also researching some of the other barrel manufactures in the hopes of better understanding the reasons for their successes.

Do not be surprised if I ask you for more information in the future, probably projectile info for those of you that are willing to share this with me. I am optimistic for the potential of cryo processed projectiles. After I have gathered more information and if any of you are interested I will process some for anyone who will provide me with detailed feedback.

Thanks again for all who helped
    David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom