Who's up for a monthly tactical carbine match?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    The link to the article in the linked post says the NRA doesn't intend to restrict it to solely the AR-15 platform...though I would assume the AR-15 would be the most competitive...but noted "Any modern defensive safe rifle can be entered."

dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    Nothing exceeds like excess...it's all great. Practical pistol. Steel challenge. Precision rifle. F/TR. Tactical rifle/carbine/whatever you want to call it.

Pick your match every weekend...South Louisiana has it going on! I like it!

Except for three gun, we have to go to Mississippi for that.:confused:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Yup, no 3-gun in South La. We used to have a least one 3-gun match a year under the auspices of River Parish Practical Shooters (since disbanded) and Tangipahoa Practical Shooters has had at least one in the past. Who knows what the future may bring. Figure if I have to drive to Mississippi to shoot 3-gun anyway, might as well drive all the way to Kentucky once year and see some different scenery...besides I enjoy running up steep hills before acquiring targets :rofl:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Yoooo bayou slide, for those who have never attended this kind of matches, would you mind briefing on a "minimum" equipment list ???????

I spoke with a co worker about it this morning, he is slowly getting into wanting to do more "tactical" training but at the same time being able to shoot matches every once in a while, I understand and know gear is like Ice Cream we all like diferent flavors and colors, but if they at least know what is allowed or even required to being able to succesfully do what they need to do it might make it a more enjoyable experience.

Sling (allowed Y/N, single point Y/N, double Y/N)
    mag pouches, chest carrier, drop leg, etc etc etc

I am not trying to make it into a NINJA get together, but the first time I shot USPSA I had an idea ahead of time of what was "usefull" which made it a better experience and made me want to come back for more

:)

What distances is this being shot at, I briefly looked into the wesite that was linked and it went all the way up to 500 IIRC, I KNOW St Mary Parish SO Range doesnt allow to do that and longest distance will be 100 prob, but is it like a 5, 10, 20, 50, 70 and a 100 ??????????

Thanks in advance and BIG thanks for adding one more way to enjoy a great weekend.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    As the organizer, LCPL 4‎ would have the straight skinny. But in reviewing the preliminary rules etc. the NRA is offering and comparing it with similar matches elsewhere, here are my thoughts for some workable gear minimums:

• AR-15 with 16 - 18 in. barrel (Shots will be mostly 100 yds or shorter, so I'd run my 16 in. midlength gas system carbine with an EOTech. I might choose to shoot the first match with my 20 in. Clark with a Meopta 1-4 because that's what I'm running later in May for the BRM3G. EOTechs and lower power (1X) scopes really rock on the speedy in-your-face-distance stages and there would be a lot of close stuff...mostly close stuff...I'm betting at this particular range. Irons would be cool if that's how you like to roll, since they have their own class).
    • Sling (I like the Viking Tactical with quick-adjust)
    • 3 (or 4) mags (I like PMags. At least one 20-rd mag is nice to have in the bag just in case you end up having to go really low).
    • Chamber flag/block of your choice.
    • at least one mag pouch would be really handy

Other stuff, like kneepads for example, might be a useful option, but certainly not a necessity. Add as much other frosting as you like or your budget allows, but the above should get you through an average match like this without holding you back at all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom