Why All of the Gear in the World Won't Save You from Social Collapse

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    If I had a dime for every time someone has commented in a thread about a piece of kit within the context of a "SHTF scenario", I'd be a rich bastard. I HAVE to have an AR because if SHTF, I must have a platform that I can easily find replacement parts for. If SHTF, I can't have an AR because they can't run dirty so the obvious choice is an AK. If SHTF, I can't have an AK because 7.62x39 isn't super common, so I have to have a Ruger 10/22 because .22LR is everywhere. I have nothing against being prepared and I'll admit that some of these threads have meritorious information in them, but the cold hard truth is that if things really did go bad in this country, a lot of people out there would be in deep **** because they look like this.

l.jpg

I've read countless threads about the proper contents of a bug-out bag, the best combat boots money can buy, and the proper weight and setup for a combat rifle, but the fact is a lot of people who peruse this and other forums like it can't even run a mile without suffering coronary failure, let alone hump all that gear and then be able to use it effectively. The next time you go to ask one of these questions, perhaps you should stop and consider if you're even physically fit enough to survive the end of the world before you consider the proper gear for such a scenario.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Gumbo, you are fighting an unwinable war. I love the fact that the "SHTF" guys show off their stockpiles, and usually they are missing the most important things, only because they have no clue what it's like to live for any time away from civilization. I have yet to see a stockpile of toilet paper, baby wipes, detergent, or medical supplies (alcohol, bandaides, basics).

I wonder where these tards think they're going to procure they're parts and ammo??? Are they aware that if it gets as bad as they think, the first things to be gutted will be weapons retailers????

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Run 5 k everyday like the zombies are chaseing me. I used to do it with my gear but the cops kept pulling up and asking me why I had a AR, shotgun, pistol and 1500 rounds of ammo jogging down the street the bfa I had on my ar barrel wasn't enough for dang civilans to chill out. So now just use strap on weights I love that pic btw:rofl:

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The problem for us would be getting out of New Orleans.

It would be almost impossible to exit under fire.

My # 1 item for SHTF is a foreign bank account. My # 2 is a plane with 750+ mile range.

Officials in any "friendly" nation will confiscate your Gold at the border. Guns will put you in prison.

leVieux

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The next time you go to ask one of these questions, perhaps you should stop and consider if you're even physically fit enough to survive the end of the world before you consider the proper gear for such a scenario

That's right! You old guys, the out of shape, the ones with disability or with family with disabilities, etc. don't need 1000 rounds of ammo! You only need one round per family member! That's right, you have no chance of escape, so just accept it and calmly blow your brains all over the living room wall! Sorry Gramps...
    Is that what you were trying to say Gumbo?

Not me. I think the ones with disabilities or health issues or who are out of shape need to be more prepared than a young healthy person. They probably won't be evacuating on foot. They'll be bugging in until reinforcements arrive. If they don't arrive then locals will start banding together neighborhood by neighborhood. Even though they have disabilities or or out of shape most will have some useful skill or knowledge (survival skills learned from the internet if nothing else). They will also have needed supplies that could be bartered.
    Odds are if there is rioting it will be short lived and localized. The weapons and gear they are buying will be of some use. If it is widespread then them being in shape probably won't matter as much as luck.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    This is the kind of stuff I like to see in a survival forum. Good post. Good talk. Personally, I'm one of the older farts that has all sorts of physical ailments. No running or long walks for me. Also, have to have some daily meds or I will croak within a week.

However, I'm one heck of a shot, careful, don't trust any stranger, yada yada yada. But if things were to get really bad in America and happen very quickly, then I feel like most everyone is gonna make their stand where they are at the moment. The urban areas will be the most dangerous. Suburban areas that are close to urban areas won't be healthy either. If you live in timbucktoo then you can hang on longer, unless roving gangs happen upon you.

But, I think it is a good thing for people to prepare for SHTF scenarios as they feel comfortable doing. It's fun, interesting, and it does provide some sense of relief. All the Survival stuff and gear is really neat.

So I say, keep on a doin' what you like uh doin'. Just have one gun and some ammo ready.

In retrospect, I bet Gen. Custer would like to have had prepared in advance because the SHTF big time for him.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My biggest concern would be getting caught at work when things go bad . It's almost an hour drive in normal evening traffic . If the SHTF , I probably couldn't anywhere near my house by vehicle . If I did happen to be at home or close by , I'm bugging IN . Food , water , meds , guns, ammo , all here .

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this board that does not have a SHTF bag nor do I stockpile anything. I am in pretty decent shape though

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    All I have to do is make it to my family's property out of the city. Hunting, fishing, and fresh water are in walking distance. Around the property are very close family friends that we trust.

Yeah I collect guns and ammo. Different guns for different objectives.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom