Why are suppressors so expensive?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Prarieville
    It's awesome to hear someone just say "I'll go get a lathe and make one". Tooling alone In a machine shop cost enough not to mention the know how

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Come build suppressors with us for a day, it will change your opinion on things.

I would actually like to see this. I have always been interested in machining but have never had any experience with it. The whole idea of turning a block of metal into something usable is pretty cool.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The machining for the components is relatively easy. Tolerances can be kept to within .001" with experience and the right tooling/jigs. Attaching all of those components together is a completely different story. Ask a welder how much metal can move depending on where, how, and with what you tack it. Take into account that a high end centerfire rifle suppressor only has a clearance on the end cap of .030" over bullet size (.015" on each side), and that point is 9 inches away from the crown, you can start to see that with the shoulder of the threaded cap to be out of alignment by only a few thousandths will result in a baffle strike. Sure, you can make the can bigger and the holes in the baffles larger, but then you're adding weight and bulk, two things that really suck after the initial cool factor wears off.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Another point to remember about machining. Say you have to assemble three machined parts, each has a tolerance of +/- .01" If all three parts are cut to the low side of the tolerance, you now have a difference of .03" from the desired fit. Now throw in that machining heats the metal. Most metals will expand with heat, so you have to leave them a hair oversize to allow for shrinkage. Inconel actually expands as it cools! That's what makes a machine shop so much fun!

As to the cost of suppressors, remember the old law of supply and demand. If you are willing to supply more money, the manufacturer/seller will demand a higher price.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Because after they sell it they have to hang onto it for 6 months... And e excessive Governemnt regulation.

If they were avalable in vending machines they woud be 1/2 the price.

Yes, there's tolerances, and R&D... But it's the laws.

Epi5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    The machining for the components is relatively easy. Tolerances can be kept to within .001" with experience and the right tooling/jigs. Attaching all of those components together is a completely different story. Ask a welder how much metal can move depending on where, how, and with what you tack it. Take into account that a high end centerfire rifle suppressor only has a clearance on the end cap of .030" over bullet size (.015" on each side), and that point is 9 inches away from the crown, you can start to see that with the shoulder of the threaded cap to be out of alignment by only a few thousandths will result in a baffle strike. Sure, you can make the can bigger and the holes in the baffles larger, but then you're adding weight and bulk, two things that really suck after the initial cool factor wears off.

Fitting and welding probably isn't the issue. More about the design of the baffles themselves and the TIME it takes. And depending on the metal costs and the right tools to cut said metal.

Every day for work i make adjustments to part that i make by as little as .00025"

And truing the threads up to the part to +/- .000" takes about 15-20 min to get it perfect.

And my previous and only other job i have ever had before this one as a machinist, was a welder lol.

Not arguing just stating :)

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Metal for cans is relatively cheap. I looked into it, and for a titanium tube with stainless baffle material it'd be less than 100 bucks. Now add in that this is all low volume low length sales and you can see how large companies pay considerably less than that per can due to ordering full sticks of material and in much larger quantities.

I think that the pricing has to do with both the laws and ego of the typical mall ninjas that wants to run a can just to be like a real "operator".

Swampcritterr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sulphur, LA
    Proper barrel threading and mounting is also very important. A bad muzzle threading job that isn't set up right will turn a $1500 can into an RPG ( Rocket Propelled Goof-up)

Top Bottom