Why are there dumb laws like this

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Watched this over the weekend and thought it was crazy. People getting arrested for dancing at the Jefferson Memorial. Adam Kokesh gets slammed about 3 min into it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The woman arrested for dancing is Medea Benjamin; She is an anti war advocate for the group Code Pink. She is a douche! Not very articulate in her defense of the issues.

However, if people (like her), are out to prove that we as a country are losing our civil liberties, and they force authorities to take responsibility for their actions, I suppose it is a good thing to a point.

I just wish there were better representaives than liberal activists that easily get cornered in debates.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    The woman arrested for dancing is Medea Benjamin; She is an anti war advocate for the group Code Pink. She is a douche! Not very articulate in her defense of the issues.

However, if people (like her), are out to prove that we as a country are losing our civil liberties, and they force authorities to take responsibility for their actions, I suppose it is a good thing to a point.

I just wish there were better representaives than liberal activists that easily get cornered in debates.
    Yeah I know. I guess any help is better than none. I really like Kokesh, he is a Former Marine and is well spoken. His show is very entertaining also.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Just some information on Kokesh. Read through This Ain't Hell for some more information on the guy.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=853

Adam Kokesh, whom I’ve written about extensively here, was busted for smuggling an Iraqi pistol back from the war. Hardly the actions of someone who “questioned” the war. It was only after the Marines busted him a rank and then denied him the opportunity to return to Iraq did he suddenly decide the war is immoral.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Just some information on Kokesh. Read through This Ain't Hell for some more information on the guy.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=853
    Just read a bunch of posts on that blog. They seem like pro-war neocons but maybe not. Yeah Kokesh was busted down for taking an Iraqi pistol, how many WWII vets have German Luggers locked in a box somewhere? I don't really care about that. And he did his job and did not complain about the war till after he got out of the marines.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    There were a bunch of morons there. To answer the original question, I suppose they have laws against demonstrations at the memorial, and they should be allowed to require a permit to demonstrate, or to require any demonstrations to be held outside, so as not to inconvenience other visitors. They can make reasonable rules, like no yelling, no running, no smoking, etc. Now how "dancing" is considered demonstrating, I don't really know, but it seems that their intention was to make a point.

The cop who gave the warning should have been able to articulate what he was warning them about, and he either couldn't, or wouldn't. It is not unreasonable to ask "what law am I breaking". And I don't think the first couple dancing was in the group that got the warning. This makes the cop look bad.

But the protesters are morons too. The point of a peaceful protest is to make your stand, and passively be arrested. Resisting arrest serves no purpose, and makes them look like morons. Get arrested and have your day in court--doesn't help your case to get body slammed for resisting.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    "They were just dancing, who cares? They were not hurting anyone. I was hoping one of the cops would take a shot to the face...LOL "
    -Flamatrix

Usually we are on the same side of the issues, but I will never back up the statement that you hoped one of the cops would get hit in the face! That is totally out of line!!! If you noticed all protester that cooperated and placed their hands behind their backs were dealt with gently and the cuffs were properly double locked for comfort. those that acted like pricks and locked their arms straight out got thrown down after many warnings. that is how I was trained and I agree with the officers actions 100% and would not have acted any differently.

"Just read a bunch of posts on that blog. They seem like pro-war neocons but maybe not. Yeah Kokesh was busted down for taking an Iraqi pistol, how many WWII vets have German Luggers locked in a box somewhere? I don't really care about that. And he did his job and did not complain about the war till after he got out of the marines. "
    -Rooster

During WWII it was legal to bring home booty. It is no longer allowed by our military and the rules should have been obeyed. Personally, I wish they were still allowed to bring things back, it would really help out the class three buyers, but the rules are the rules.

"There were a bunch of morons there. To answer the original question, I suppose they have laws against demonstrations at the memorial, and they should be allowed to require a permit to demonstrate, or to require any demonstrations to be held outside, so as not to inconvenience other visitors. They can make reasonable rules, like no yelling, no running, no smoking, etc. Now how "dancing" is considered demonstrating, I don't really know, but it seems that their intention was to make a point.

The cop who gave the warning should have been able to articulate what he was warning them about, and he either couldn't, or wouldn't. It is not unreasonable to ask "what law am I breaking". And I don't think the first couple dancing was in the group that got the warning. This makes the cop look bad.

But the protesters are morons too. The point of a peaceful protest is to make your stand, and passively be arrested. Resisting arrest serves no purpose, and makes them look like morons. Get arrested and have your day in court--doesn't help your case to get body slammed for resisting. "
    -Honestlou

You are on the right track. The rules for requiring permits is so the police can have enough personel on sight to handle an additional thousand or however many people will be attending. as long as the permits are being handed out freely with reasonable restrictions (such as clean up after yourself and no vulgarity) they are a good thing. they question of how dancing is considered demonstrating is simple, anytime a group of people get together with a particular ideological statement they wish to put out you have a demonstration. these hippies organized in advance to to go there and dance in order to bring attention to there cause. the police got wind of it and took action informing them that they could not demonstrate without a permit and that what they had planned fell under those guidelins. thte group got what was coming to them.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The government used thousands of tax payer dollars to build a monument to remember one of the founders of this nation.

They also use tax payer dollars to keep jack-asses from disrespecting it and to make sure others who are there to view such a memorial able to do so in a normal respectful manner.

I'm ok with that.

When you seek attention in a ludicrous fashion, you deserve all the attention you get.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The government used thousands of tax payer dollars to build a monument to remember one of the founders of this nation.

They also use tax payer dollars to keep jack-asses from disrespecting it and to make sure others who are there to view such a memorial able to do so in a normal respectful manner.

I'm ok with that.

When you seek attention in a ludicrous fashion, you deserve all the attention you get.

According to ASK.COM it cost $3,192,312.00 in 1943. That would equate to about 10 billion if built today by the unions up there.:mamoru:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    They were just dancing, who cares? They were not hurting anyone. I was hoping one of the cops would take a shot to the face...LOL

You can figure out what was happening by that video? I don't think it shows any information really, I may be wrong but the conclusion I jump to is they were a bunch of douche activist/antiwar protesters that didn't go away when asked to.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    They were not protesting war. They were protesting a ruling that it is illegal to dance at the Jefferson Memorial. The police should have better things to do than arrest a few people dancing. This shows how crazy the government is and how people just accept it. I can't help but think Jefferson would have done the same thing..... Ok maybe not but he would have thought it should be protected under the 1st amendment.

Top Bottom