why are we selectively against mandates?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Why are we so against "Obama's" mandate (which is actually the Heritage Foundations/Republican's mandate) but are for mandatory car insurance (read: car ownership tax)?

Don't we also carry uninsured motorist in case we get hit by someone without insurance?

At what point do we vote for freedom and make insurance actual "insurance" (a hedge against risk) again? Are we willing to risk the thousands of dollars the insurance companies donate to "our side" when we stop forcing individuals to purchase their products?

Louisiana has the highest rates in the nation, yet every driver is supposed to have coverage. Is this another case of government involvement causing rates to skyrocket? How much of my money do the insurance companies need to make sure their politicians get elected?

Last edited:

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Why are we so against "Obama's" mandate (which is actually the Heritage Foundations/Republican's mandate) but are for mandatory car insurance (read: car ownership tax)?

Don't we also carry uninsured motorist in case we get hit by someone without insurance?

At what point do we vote for freedom and make insurance actual "insurance" (a hedge against risk) again? Are we willing to risk the thousands of dollars the insurance companies donate to us when we stop forcing individuals to purchase their products?

Louisiana has the highest rates in the nation, yet every driver is supposed to have coverage. Is this another case of government involvement causing rates to skyrocket? How much of my money do the insurance companies need to make sure their politicians get elected?

I'm not for any mandate and I'm not for anything involuntary.

If I am not hurting someone with my actions, those action should be completely free to do. That is constitutional and anything short is not.

Check out the latest laws in California about being illegal to smoke in your own apartment!

I don't smoke but it isn't right that anyone dictates to someone else to not smoke when it is completely out of my way. Strange that the same people that are pushing those non smoking laws are the same people that were against sodomy laws just a few years back.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    It is not a fundamental right that you own a car. You agree to the terms put forth for vehicle ownership. If Obamacare was appkied to this example it would essentially force you to pay for car insurance even though you had no car.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    I believe a lot of the opposition to the health insurance mandate vs the car insurance mandate(s) is that you have a choice if you want to drive, but not if you want to breath.

But on a similar vein.... it might make sense to have both a car insurance and a driver insurance. Now they are sort of intertwined into the same thing. But you can go into the DMV in LA, get your license and when they ask for proof in insurance you just tell them you don't own a vehicle. This could very much be the case if you are a first time driver or only drive company vehicles.

I don't get your question about insurance (not) being a hedge against risk. Are you referring to the Obamacare section that disallows companies not being able to not reject based on per-exisiting conditions? Such that if you applied that to car insurance, you would wait to buy insurance once your car was stuck on a pole?

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I believe a lot of the opposition to the health insurance mandate vs the car insurance mandate(s) is that you have a choice if you want to drive, but not if you want to breath.

I disagree. We are nomadic by nature. **** is spread out because the central planners were often beaten by people wanting to gtfo of all the congestion. My schedule would allow me to get to work via public transportation (another state entity) or walking, if I choose to get up several hours earlier, but it would prevent me from continuing my education after work because no busses pass when I get out of school at night. (if you consider the school thing irrelevant, then assume it were another job and go from there).

Driving is a necessity these days for me. Driving is not a right, but it is a necessity. It helps prop up the market. It allows freedom. I purchase fuel, tires, various fluids, and inspection stickers. I pay .50 cents PER GALLON in state and federal taxes for fuel. On top of that, I pay taxes from my pay check to support the state as well. In all, I'm going to say my effective tax rate is well above 40%.

I say that some have the choice whether or not to drive. I don't feel I should be forced to buy an entities product (it's not a private entity being on the taxpayer tit by law) as a stipulation for using the post roads that are constitutionally approved, especially considering that no money stolen from me ever goes back into my pocket unless it helps get a politician I like re-elected. It's no different with public sector unions.

I should be forced to pay to better myself for society even though I pay taxes already?

At what point are we going to start calling it what it is? A giveaway to insurance companies.

Insurance, by definition, implies risk. It is a hedge against disaster or otherwise. If I am forced to buy it as a stipulation for driving, it is then a tax.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dont forget about seatbelt law, motorcycle helmet law, and open container law. I dont understand why having an "open container containing alcohol" is illegal. Is it because of the danger of spilling?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    It is not a fundamental right that you own a car. You agree to the terms put forth for vehicle ownership. If Obamacare was appkied to this example it would essentially force you to pay for car insurance even though you had no car.

^^^THIS^^^ Hospitals are forced to treat everyone that shows up. How many other businesses out there must provide a service even if people can't pay for it? If I pull up to the car dealership and cannot pay for the repairs there will be a problem. People feel entitled to health care.

I remember when the OCCUPY group was pushing for a minimum wage of $20.00 for every worker. And at the same time said a doctor's salary should be capped at $35,000. So a dishwasher will make $41,600 according to their pay scale and a physician will make $35,000. Good luck finding any doctors if this were the case.

JayKay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Metairie, LA

Car insurance and health insurance are completely different animals. When you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, you have a vast ability to cause major damage to property and life - damage far beyond most driver's ability to cover out their own pocket. Also, if a driver chooses to not have car insurance, it potentially affects everyone he shares the road with. Not so with forgoing health insurance.

Slightly off topic here, but have you ever imagined how expensive car insurance would be if it were treated like health insurance? You make an appointment for an oil change (which is now covered by your car insurance) and you sit in the waiting room for an hour and a half because the shop overbooks their appointments and the "oil changer" came back late from lunch because his time is way more important than yours. You finally watch your car go into the shop and ten minutes later they tell you it's ready and you drive off without signing anything, paying a penny out of your pocket or even knowing what the visit cost. Then, the shop bills your car insurance $450 for changing the oil, checking the battery, adding water to the windshield washer and sticking their finger up the tail pipe. All stuff you didn't ask for, didn't approve and didn't even know about.

That's the gist of our health care system spinning out of control. The "Affordable Health Care Act" actually does nothing to make it more affordable.

(Sorry for the off-topic rant)

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    You are forced to obtain car insurance because you are piloting a 2-4,000lb missile at 60+ mph and are capable of causing significant damage to Other people's property. If you hit someone, that person must have a recourse against you and your act. Most people cannot afford to shell out 10-15k on repairs for someone else's car, therefor the state mandates that you must have insurance to protect your possible victims. It's not about you lol, if it were you would be mandated to have full coverage instead of liability.
    Moreover, the federal government is only allowed to regulate interstate commerce, so historically they have been barred from mandating things that must come from within your state. Obviously, that no longer applies.
    The supreme court decided that the healthcare mandate is not, in fact, a mandate, but a Tax, which makes a huge difference, legally, to an insurance mandate. If you don't buy car insurance you are charged with a crime (if you're driving around), if you don't buy health insurance, you're Supposed to just be taxed for it. No crime committed.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Car insurance and health insurance are completely different animals. When you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, you have a vast ability to cause major damage to property and life - damage far beyond most driver's ability to cover out their own pocket. Also, if a driver chooses to not have car insurance, it potentially affects everyone he shares the road with. Not so with forgoing health insurance.

BINGO.

Slightly off topic here, but have you ever imagined how expensive car insurance would be if it were treated like health insurance? You make an appointment for an oil change (which is now covered by your car insurance) and you sit in the waiting room for an hour and a half because the shop overbooks their appointments and the "oil changer" came back late from lunch because his time is way more important than yours. You finally watch your car go into the shop and ten minutes later they tell you it's ready and you drive off without signing anything, paying a penny out of your pocket or even knowing what the visit cost. Then, the shop bills your car insurance $450 for changing the oil, checking the battery, adding water to the windshield washer and sticking their finger up the tail pipe. All stuff you didn't ask for, didn't approve and didn't even know about.

That's the gist of our health care system spinning out of control. The "Affordable Health Care Act" actually does nothing to make it more affordable.

BINGO again. Because most of us believe that's not the reasoning behind this in the first place.

(Sorry for the off-topic rant)

Solid post, IMHO.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA

This is hardly justification. When I pick up a propane tank, I also have vast ability to cause major damage to property and life. Insurance implies risk. You purchase insurance to offset "major damage to property and life". There are also additions that cover others not having insurance. The guy that decided to not pay the $75.00 yearly fee for fire protection stood dumbfounded when the fire department let his house burn down. He took the gamble and it didn't go his way. Thousands of people in the 9th ward proved that you probably should have some type of homeowners insurance (even though they still got bailed out by we, the taxpayer). They took risk and lost.

Sucks or not, that's freedom.

That's apples to oranges. Health insurance is treated as a discount plan as well as insuring you against catastrophic issues. Car insurance is based on catastrophic (loosely used) things.

Why are we forced to buy products (taxed) as a stipulation of driving? Now that we're forced to buy health insurance, do I need life/death/dismemberment insurance on my car or am I getting a discount now that everyone has health care?

(Let me pretend that I don't know the answer to that one already...lol)

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    There are laws forcing one to buy car insurance if you own a car. That guarantees a private business an income base. Health insurance is now going to be the same, you will be forced to buy it.

My suggestion: Have a tax per gallon added to gasoline in every state in the Union. This will be called an "Insurance" tax. Every vehicle and driver that buys gas will be covered with State sponsored insurance. No more private car insurance. This way, people that drive alot will be buying more gas and will be contributing as greater portion of their income (gas tax) to the "ins. pool". Someone like myself that drives very little will not be paying so much.

This way, there will be no such thing as someone without car ins.

Medical care: I think it is a lost cause, ins. or no ins. The only think that might help is stopping law suit abuse against the medical field.
    The pill poppers have inundated the medical care system, plus, the furnishing of free medical care to the tens of millions of illegals in our country.

IMO

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've heard of gasoline taxes before but they don't work.
    Your auto insurance rates are already partially based on how much you drive as well as about 30 other factors (age, sex, location, driving history, credit, etc.).
    The problem is that basic liability (15K/30K/25K) is not enough coverage for most people.
    We really need a good no fault plan (emphasis on 'good'!). We also need to find a better way to handle soft tissue injuries (my neck hurts from being bumped! claims).

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I've heard of gasoline taxes before but they don't work.
    Your auto insurance rates are already partially based on how much you drive as well as about 30 other factors (age, sex, location, driving history, credit, etc.).
    The problem is that basic liability (15K/30K/25K) is not enough coverage for most people.
    We really need a good no fault plan (emphasis on 'good'!). We also need to find a better way to handle soft tissue injuries (my neck hurts from being bumped! claims).

I forgot about the " whippy "...most likely the most expensive " injury " that occurs. Just putting those in a different class might make the difference... along with slip an fall's.

I suppose there is a certain group of lawyers who push these cases.

For anyone who has been injured and tried to deal with an insurance company it's easy to understand the need for those lawyers.

I have had several incidents that were a few hundred dollars and I'll sign off and it's over. Insurance laughs at me and I go to a lawyer, each time I got a few bucks, car fixed and over but the insurance pays out 10 - 15 K instead of a couple hundred to fix my car.

They shoot themselves in the foot every time so it's hard to feel sorry for them.

ETA

Last time I got hit in the rear bumper of my truck GEICO showed up next day took pics and wrote me a check. No lawyer needed...are they catching on ?? Leeezzrd

Then last year my GS hit a deer with our Neon, again the show up, write a total check and done. ( Neons do not survive contact incidents with deer ) Maybe they are catching on to deal with the claim before it gets to LITIGATION...

Last edited:

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If everyone has insurance, rather it be automotive or health, prices are reduced for everyone. I see no difference between the two, as not being covered by either is socially irresponsible. Men do not live on an island.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    If everyone has insurance, rather it be automotive or health, prices are reduced for everyone. I see no difference between the two, as not being covered by either is socially irresponsible. Men do not live on an island.

Driving with limited liability is not a good answer, even if everyone or only a few have it. It forces me to pay for un & under insured people.

If all auto insurance is a level field ok...but it won't be.

We had a Blazer totaled out from under Ms Dawg some years ago, the guy had the legal limits then but it didn't get close to the bill. Guess who gets caught with their pants down if they don't , in spite of laws, have extra insurance to pay for others.

As for health I'm hurrying like hell to make 65 ( 2 mo years ) so I can get on whats left of Medicare. If osambo doesn't give it all to illegals.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

At what point do we vote for freedom and make insurance actual "insurance" (a hedge against risk) again? Are we willing to risk the thousands of dollars the insurance companies donate to "our side" when we stop forcing individuals to purchase their products?

The real problem with car insurance rates in Louisiana is our legal system. Pass a no fault law and rates will come down. When we moved here from Mobile (Alabama is a no fault state) we stayed with the same coverage, same insurance company, same vehicles. The only difference was a different state. Our rates increased by 1/3.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/auto-insurance-rate-averages-by-state.html

Last edited:

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    The real problem with car insurance rates in Louisiana is our legal system. Pass a no fault law and rates will come down. When we moved here from Mobile (Alabama is a no fault state) we stayed with the same coverage, same insurance company, same vehicles. The only difference was a different state. Our rates increased by 1/3.

My friend lives in Virginia, has numerous tickets for speeding, reckless driving, driving suspended etc

I live in Louisiana. No moving violations within the past 9 years.

I pay double what he pays and I have an older vehicle.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My friend lives in Virginia, has numerous tickets for speeding, reckless driving, driving suspended etc

I live in Louisiana. No moving violations within the past 9 years.

I pay double what he pays and I have an older vehicle.

Mr. Bart says "Thank You"

DA393539_040000_1.JPG

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

So I may need a weetoddid link to " no fault "

No fault would be everyone is responsible for their own MV ins and if a uninsured hits me so what , my " no fault " covers me no matter ???

Can't believe I been in the ins dark for so long.

Top Bottom