Why can't more FFL's be like this one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Anything under $25, I'm OK with, but I also expect a 'different rate' when I order lots.

I've ordered 30 receivers before. NO WAY IN HELL I'm paying full price on all of them!

This.

[OFFTOPIC]

Nomad, I'm not sure where "Hills North of LA" is but my guy in North East Louisiana charges $25 for one or multiple firearms. I've never done 30 at one time so I don't know about that many, but if you're close by I can get you his contact info.

[/OFFTOPIC]

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Just to be clear, no Sir, they dont. Not at all.

I have more than 20 min. on average in every transfer. :rofl:

That is NOT TRUE!! You know when you do mine it takes at least 1 to 2 hours!! I GET MY $20.00 worth! LOL :mamoru::mamoru::rofl:

Sorry I just had to add this!

Just for the record, I do use rockmup as well as GMShooter! BOTH are EXCELLENT people to deal with and I highly recommend BOTH, and IF anyone wishes to try to beat them down on price, PLEASE do not tell them I referred you there! These guys do US a SUPERB SERVICE! Like someone mentioned.....don't like paying $15 to $40/transfer??? GET YOUR OWN DAMN FFL see just how much you end up paying /transfer now!!!!:mad::rolleyes:

KT

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    If someone could provide a cost breakdown of a FFL and the associated state/local fees (if there are any. I have no earthly idea) this would clear up a lot of the misconceptions.

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    I understand what you mean, but - why should they?

If people don't like the prices, don't use the service... go get an FFL.

Or buy off the shelf.

I hear you. I just want to know for general knowledge, I'm curious to see how much it costs. Im sure if it were cheap and easy to obtain/upkeep one everyone and their brother would have one.

Also if they say that it costs X amount for the license and X amont for the fees this is what they need to charge to cover the costs of operation, etc.

Last edited:

Beaver Creek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Denham Springs (Watson Area)
    If someone could provide a cost breakdown of a FFL and the associated state/local fees (if there are any. I have no earthly idea) this would clear up a lot of the misconceptions.

The cost of these fees will not clear up anything. The fees, although significant, are a very minute part of the real cost which is TIME. Without actually doing it a person has no idea how much time iit takes to do it right every time. Imagine this scenario:

Take a call from a customer that has never bought online. Spend 15 minutes educating him on how to buy online. He calls back & gives me a fax # to send FFL to seller. This is not a fax#, It is someones voice #. Call customer back & get the correct number. Try fax again. This time it works. Seller may ship tomorrow or next week, I don't know when. But I have to be available to receive it. By USPS be available from 11 am to 2 pm. By UPS be available from 9 am to 6 pm. By Fedex be available from 10 am to 5 pm. Gun arrives. Open package & look for sellers FFL to log in the firearm. There is no FFL. There is nothing. Even the return address is not readable. Call buyer to let him know I can not transfer without FFL or ID from seller. Buyer calls back. Seller will fax or email ID. Awakened by fax machine receiving fax at 1:28 am. Go back to sleep if I can. Next day I call buyer. Everything ok for pickup. 6 pm is fine. I can push dinner an hour. At 7:15 he shows. Had to stop by the bank to get $20 cash. OK, 4473 complete, now for the background check. This transaction will be delayed while NICS does further research.

Now I'm not complaining. I have some very loyal customers that are considerate and compassionate and I have made many friends doing what I do and I treasure their friendship and look forward to their visits, but just remember it ain't about the cost of permits and fees.
    $5 ????

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The cost of these fees will not clear up anything. The fees, although significant, are a very minute part of the real cost which is TIME. Without actually doing it a person has no idea how much time iit takes to do it right every time. Imagine this scenario:

Take a call from a customer that has never bought online. Spend 15 minutes educating him on how to buy online. He calls back & gives me a fax # to send FFL to seller. This is not a fax#, It is someones voice #. Call customer back & get the correct number. Try fax again. This time it works. Seller may ship tomorrow or next week, I don't know when. But I have to be available to receive it. By USPS be available from 11 am to 2 pm. By UPS be available from 9 am to 6 pm. By Fedex be available from 10 am to 5 pm. Gun arrives. Open package & look for sellers FFL to log in the firearm. There is no FFL. There is nothing. Even the return address is not readable. Call buyer to let him know I can not transfer without FFL or ID from seller. Buyer calls back. Seller will fax or email ID. Awakened by fax machine receiving fax at 1:28 am. Go back to sleep if I can. Next day I call buyer. Everything ok for pickup. 6 pm is fine. I can push dinner an hour. At 7:15 he shows. Had to stop by the bank to get $20 cash. OK, 4473 complete, now for the background check. This transaction will be delayed while NICS does further research.

Now I'm not complaining. I have some very loyal customers that are considerate and compassionate and I have made many friends doing what I do and I treasure their friendship and look forward to their visits, but just remember it ain't about the cost of permits and fees.
    $5 ????

Well said.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Where do you get $15 transfers in BR?

I get mine for $15 at Gene's Pawn. By keeping the price below other shops, it gets the customers in. I may walk out with extra stuff. I always look, and I have bought only because I was picking up a transfer.

If it is not something that some of the FFL's want to do, then don't do it.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

$5 ????

I paid for a buddies FFL, in return, my transfers cost me nothing.

I ordered stuff. It arrived. He called me.

I came over, filled out paperwork, he called it in, I took my stuff.

It took him less time to call it in than it did to play with my new toy!

This has been my similar experience elsewhere.

'kitchen table dealers' do not deal with 'ignorant joe public' as you describe.

Vegasjay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Carencro, LA
    I was told that once by an FFL in lafayette, the fact that he was going UP on his prices for transfers JUST because it was a LOST sale, my response was IF you would sale guns at the price I got it maybe it wouldnt be a lost sale.

NEVER went back to him, I dont think paying more than $30 should be fair but then again they are so hard to find now a days that they get to put a price and what you gonna do ???????

I looked into getting an FFL myself and attach it to the business BUT the ATF "requires" a front store anf my classroom doesnt really qualify as one, not to mention record keeping until I die almost hehe

I bet I can guess who this was. Some Lafayette gun shops share the same weird business practices. WASR's are $400 on classicarms, if I were a
    businessman I'd buy them in bulk from them and sell some for $450-500 local. Instead of trying to get $650 and watch the rifle sit for years and wonder why people want to buy off the internet.

Top Bottom