Why do gangsters shoot their guns sideways?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeeperGirl

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    ***********.com
    So why do gangsters aim their guns sideways? Marine marksman sheds light on how gunmen from the 'hood unwittingly use a well-known aiming technique

It's an iconic image immortalised in dozens of Hollywood gangster films: the gangster aiming down the side of his pistol before pumping a volley of bullets into his victim.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...d-unwittingly-use-known-aiming-technique.html

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I dont have any gansta friends but I would assume it was because they think it looks cool and because all the "bad dudes" in Hollywood do it that way.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's also much more natural and comfortable. If you reach out and point your finger at something naturally or throw a punch, you'll find your hand is canted/sideways. Properly using sights is a technique they've just never learned, and you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't go to the range. It's still silly, but it's the best theory I can come up with. Most of them probably are just emulating what they've seen, but it had to start somewhere.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It's also much more natural and comfortable. If you reach out and point your finger at something naturally or throw a punch, you'll find your hand is canted/sideways. Properly using sights is a technique they've just never learned, and you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't go to the range. It's still silly, but it's the best theory I can come up with. Most of them probably are just emulating what they've seen, but it had to start somewhere.

That's always what I thought too. If you never picked up a gun before, never had formal training, you'd hold it at a position that felt naturally comfortable to you.

It would be an interesting experiment to shoot several rounds that way to see if it feels any different afterwards. I know accuracy is going to be poor, but I wonder if horizontal recoil would tire the muscles differently than vertical recoil. Or if the recoil would still throw your hand upwards.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's always what I thought too. If you never picked up a gun before, never had formal training, you'd hold it at a position that felt naturally comfortable to you.

It would be an interesting experiment to shoot several rounds that way to see if it feels any different afterwards. I know accuracy is going to be poor, but I wonder if horizontal recoil would tire the muscles differently than vertical recoil. Or if the recoil would still throw your hand upwards.

Actually holding the hand at a canted natural position (around 45 degrees) is frequently taught for one-handed shooting. The straight up hold does make recoil more manageable, but with the canted hold follow up shots are quicker for a lot of people as the gun settles back down to the natural position with less effort.

Either way, using the sights is still a must.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Are you talking about FULL Hommie or half hommie ???????

Full hommie is plain retarded but 1/2 Hommie is actually a correct technique as mentioned before, by simply rotating the weapon at a 45degree angle you change the muscle structure behind the gun which gives you a "stiffer" hold behind it specially if you don't over extend your weapon foot forward. By simply doing it without a gun in your hand and using your "index" finger as a gun you can see how the muscles on your forearm change depending on the angle of the wrist, by it being in a normal 0 degree angle the recoil is picked up by the wrist and the upper forearm muscles (cupinator & abductor pollicis longus) and what is left travels to the shoulder, at 45 is most of the recoil is worked on by the lower forearm muscle which is bigger (flexor digitorum profundus).

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I want to shoot my next match using a Hi-Pern and shoot every stage holding it sideways and slightly over my head.

Of course, I dont think they would allow me to pull it out of my waist band every stage so I will have to figure out a way around that.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's the only way to use home-boy sights.
    I'm sure some can come up with a pic.

Gotta keep it reel, main.

1574a7424f0db8dd.jpg

:doh:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Are you talking about FULL Hommie or half hommie ???????

Full hommie is plain retarded but 1/2 Hommie is actually a correct technique as mentioned before, by simply rotating the weapon at a 45degree angle you change the muscle structure behind the gun which gives you a "stiffer" hold behind it specially if you don't over extend your weapon foot forward. By simply doing it without a gun in your hand and using your "index" finger as a gun you can see how the muscles on your forearm change depending on the angle of the wrist, by it being in a normal 0 degree angle the recoil is picked up by the wrist and the upper forearm muscles (cupinator & abductor pollicis longus) and what is left travels to the shoulder, at 45 is most of the recoil is worked on by the lower forearm muscle which is bigger (flexor digitorum profundus).

Full homie or go home.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I shoot at about 1/8-1/4 hommie 1 handed and find it comfortable and easy to aim with sights. Full hommie, I've tried it and found it hard to recover from a shot. I see no advantage to full hommie.

Now punching the bullets out of the gun as you shoot??????

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Wow. I just realized while reading this thread how popular its becoming. 19 users and 3 guests are reading it at once. Lol

JeeperGirl

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    ***********.com
    I want to shoot my next match using a Hi-Pern and shoot every stage holding it sideways and slightly over my head.

Of course, I dont think they would allow me to pull it out of my waist band every stage so I will have to figure out a way around that.

Hahahaha!!!!
    That is going full homie!

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If you're right handed,standing behind a barrier such as a wall and you have to lean to your left to take a peek or aim your gun or both....it actually makes sense to rotate the gun sideways to minimize yourself as a target and maintain better support of the gun and your body. A two handed grip would be advantageous at this point because you're shifting your weight and compromising your center balance and gravity. Ideally,it would be better to use your non dominant hand and not have to rotate the gun but most folks don't pracrice with their weak hand. In this scenario,the weak hand being your left hand.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom