Why I never go to the bank... Stupidity all around

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm divided on the idea. Most bank-robberies only involve killing when the robber is confronted with deadly force as well. Robbers still rob banks because they know that everyone inside is trained to "just give them the money".

The robbers are almost always caught very shortly thereafter, and most if not all the money recovered. Robbing banks just isn't usually a successful endevour. The robber is prosecuted, the money recovered, and the issue put to bed, usually within 24-72 hours of the robbery (well, the recovery/arrest anyway).

I think the decision not to have armed guards in a bank is akin to giving the fish some line. It also cuts down on liability, chance of people being killed, and the cost of a trained armed guard, who would likely just get shot first, anyway, as action beats reaction every time. A plain-clothes guard is a good idea, imo, but visibly armed guards? I disagree. It would only lead to senseless killing with the same end result of recovered money/robber. A plain-clothes guard would be good to have on-hand, though, if it looked like killing was in order regardless of compliance.

Well the hole in that theory is that Neighbors DOES have an off duty BRPD or EBRSO officer on duty all day everyday. Question is are there any credit unions that do not have those signs??

Also IMO it's the principal of the matter. Someone trained and licensed should not have to pull out his tuckable weapon just to run into the bank. Especially when you consider the uselessness of that sign.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well the hole in that theory is that Neighbors DOES have an off duty BRPD or EBRSO officer on duty all day everyday. Question is are there any credit unions that do not have those signs??

Also IMO it's the principal of the matter. Someone trained and licensed should not have to pull out his tuckable weapon just to run into the bank. Especially when you consider the uselessness of that sign.

My sisters fiance works for one of those banks too big to fail and he laughed his ass off when he saw the sign, and his location has been robbed twice this year!

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I'm divided on the idea. Most bank-robberies only involve killing when the robber is confronted with deadly force as well. Robbers still rob banks because they know that everyone inside is trained to "just give them the money".

The robbers are almost always caught very shortly thereafter, and most if not all the money recovered. Robbing banks just isn't usually a successful endevour. The robber is prosecuted, the money recovered, and the issue put to bed, usually within 24-72 hours of the robbery (well, the recovery/arrest anyway).

I think the decision not to have armed guards in a bank is akin to giving the fish some line. It also cuts down on liability, chance of people being killed, and the cost of a trained armed guard, who would likely just get shot first, anyway, as action beats reaction every time. A plain-clothes guard is a good idea, imo, but visibly armed guards? I disagree. It would only lead to senseless killing with the same end result of recovered money/robber. A plain-clothes guard would be good to have on-hand, though, if it looked like killing was in order regardless of compliance.

Yeah but if your the only bank going out of your way to offer this much protection you can be sure that the robbers would choose a different bank.

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    see... all the places that you WOULD NEED YOUR GUN.... you're not really allowed to have it.... concealed or open! i don't trust any guards that are carrying at a bank or mall or whatever.... when it comes down to your life... who is to say they will actually protect you?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    see... All the places that you would need your gun.... You're not really allowed to have it.... Concealed or open! I don't trust any guards that are carrying at a bank or mall or whatever.... When it comes down to your life... Who is to say they will actually protect you?

you won't need a gun! No bank robbers allowed!!!!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    see... all the places that you WOULD NEED YOUR GUN.... you're not really allowed to have it.... concealed or open! i don't trust any guards that are carrying at a bank or mall or whatever.... when it comes down to your life... who is to say they will actually protect you?

Really? I'm sure most of the people who have been shot in their own home would have said there was no reason to need one there.

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    Really? I'm sure most of the people who have been shot in their own home would have said there was no reason to need one there.

im not saying that... what im saying is... the places that you would NEED to carry at.... airports, banks, federal buildings, bars, restaurants, etc... there are laws that prevent you from carrying there. I am in no way gonna to trust some complete stranger aka security to protect me when things go wrong.

not saying having a firearm at home or in your car is not needed.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    The thing that gets me about bank robberies though, a lot, if not most of them, never even involve a gun.
    Just a note saying "fill the bag with cash" or something similar. Works just as well and why add charges/danger to it unless you plan to get away no matter what.

Maybe they should ban notes?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    None of mine have anything anti-2A about them.
    Like I said, I agree with undercover, but am unsure if a visibly armed guard present would be a positive or negative.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    im not saying that... what im saying is... the places that you would NEED to carry at.... airports, banks, federal buildings, bars, restaurants, etc... there are laws that prevent you from carrying there. I am in no way gonna to trust some complete stranger aka security to protect me when things go wrong.

not saying having a firearm at home or in your car is not needed.

Right. They are NOT body-guards, and you would be surprised (or maybe not) to know how totally inept most are with a firearm. Some security guards (based on qualification day at a large organization in my area) cannot hit a man-sized target with an entire magazine at 15 feet.

Yeah but if your the only bank going out of your way to offer this much protection you can be sure that the robbers would choose a different bank.

That is very likely. However, by that same logic, you are implying that it is safer to OC than to CC.
    I don't know the mortality rate for armed bank security robberies vs. unarmed/not-present bank security robberies.

It would be interesting to see some data vs. the speculation.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The bank's attitude is let them have the money. They spend lots on physical security. Higher counters, cameras, dye bombs, etc. but nothing to keep the robbers out. Yes, the FBI takes it seriously. BUT its much safer to rob a bank than to hit a time saver!
    Most robbers are quiet robberies- hand the teller a note, walk out with a few grand. Every so often they decide to hit the vault and take over the bank. People get hurt, bank employees are scared, customers are horrified. They have insurance, put the employees on workers comp, whatever. It didn't really cost them anything.
    BUT if you advertised that the customers would be safe things would be different. Provide real security, not off duty cops, well trained, ex military. Two for show with cover and rifles, and good plain clothes guys. Yes, it would be expensive. Yes, some criminals would probably test it. Criminals would get hurt. But if you did it right, it would work. If it did you'd have the most popular bank in town.

s2tbolt

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2007
    New Nola (aka Baton Rouge)
    Well I felt real safe today when I went to make a cash deposit at the bank. I was the focus of attention of the BRPD officer on duty due to my uncontrollable laughter, good thing they had this posted...

And a sign that is about an inch tall that has been popping up at all the Neighbors branches.

Glad I rarely go to the bank, just had to move some funds for some seasonal purchases.

OK, the first one is funny!:rofl:

About the 2nd one...
    A few months ago I made an appointment and visited the new Coursey branch of Neighbors to discuss a new mortgage loan with the manager and noticed the sign. I was not carrying at the time but before we concluded our meeting I did tell her that I noticed the sign. Then I informed her that I was a 29 year customer (formerly BRTFCU) and have never noticed any such signs before. I also informed her that I had a concealed handgun permit and was becoming more and more concerned about continuing to do business in places where I was not welcome. She replied that she was glad I told her that I had the permit and would not have to worry about concealed carry and that I was welcome. I considered that to be personal permission to conceal carry inside their building and it has not been an issue since. I have not and would not attempt to open carry inside their building against their wishes.

I do believe that if regular customers would politely ask to speak with any branch manager and calmly explain their concerns that the same courtesy would be extended.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would have not noticed the second sign if I wasn't taking a picture of the first, and it was after I completed my business transaction, it is small, low to the ground and could get someone in trouble.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    OK, the first one is funny!:rofl:
    About the 2nd one...
    A few months ago I made an appointment and visited the new Coursey branch of Neighbors to discuss a new mortgage loan with the manager and noticed the sign. I was not carrying at the time but before we concluded our meeting I did tell her that I noticed the sign. Then I informed her that I was a 29 year customer (formerly BRTFCU) and have never noticed any such signs before. I also informed her that I had a concealed handgun permit and was becoming more and more concerned about continuing to do business in places where I was not welcome. She replied that she was glad I told her that I had the permit and would not have to worry about concealed carry and that I was welcome. I considered that to be personal permission to conceal carry inside their building and it has not been an issue since. I have not and would not attempt to open carry inside their building against their wishes.

I do believe that if regular customers would politely ask to speak with any branch manager and calmly explain their concerns that the same courtesy would be extended.

Not to try and burst your bubble, but that is in direct contradiction to what I was told and suffice it to say that the two people that I got information from out rank whomever you spoke to. Both of them have been invited to read this thread. Further more with the sign on the door my impression is that completely outranks an employee giving you the okay. Even if you had express written permission for *if* some incident happened I personally question how that would work out in court.

I would have not noticed the second sign if I wasn't taking a picture of the first, and it was after I completed my business transaction, it is small, low to the ground and could get someone in trouble.

I brought that point up as well. If those signs have been there for three years, I never knew they were there until the pictures were posted.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't care if I had express permission from the management. The robbers don't know that. All they know is that this branch is a prime target and you're in it. There's also the issue of giving your business to someone that doesn't support your 2A rights...

Bayou Boy

Send it!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Quitman, LA
    That is very likely. However, by that same logic, you are implying that it is safer to OC than to CC.
    I don't know the mortality rate for armed bank security robberies vs. unarmed/not-present bank security robberies.

It would be interesting to see some data vs. the speculation.

I know the mortality rate is MUCH higher for the unarmed person in a gunfight than the one that is armed. I also know I don't want to depend on the mercies of an armed individual with the intention of robbing a bank at gunpoint, to not harm anyone. "PLEASE don't shoot me" is a poor defensive tactic.

I bet the average criminal would be a lot less likely to try to rob if he thought EVERYONE in the bank was armed.

Not trying to be argumentative or Johnny Bravo here. I'm just saying a criminal ALWAYS wants to have the advantage when it comes to imposing their will. When you even the odds or stack them against him, AND HE KNOWS IT, the probabilities go way down.

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    On the rare occasion that I have to go into one of my bank branches (Hancock Bank) I have never seen such signs and nobody, including extra duty BRPD or G4S private security, have said a word about the pistol openly carried on my hip.

Top Bottom