Why I never go to the bank... Stupidity all around

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I know the mortality rate is MUCH higher for the unarmed person in a gunfight than the one that is armed. I also know I don't want to depend on the mercies of an armed individual with the intention of robbing a bank at gunpoint, to not harm anyone. "PLEASE don't shoot me" is a poor defensive tactic.

I bet the average criminal would be a lot less likely to try to rob if he thought EVERYONE in the bank was armed.

Not trying to be argumentative or Johnny Bravo here. I'm just saying a criminal ALWAYS wants to have the advantage when it comes to imposing their will. When you even the odds or stack them against him, AND HE KNOWS IT, the probabilities go way down.
    Criminals also know murder adds to the prosecution and manhunt. Most only hand over a note. Introducing gunplay seems a step back. They will get caught anyway.

s2tbolt

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2007
    New Nola (aka Baton Rouge)
    Regarding posted policies, verbal permission and written permission:

During my CHP class, I was told that I would have to ask permission from a homeowner to enter his/her residence with my concealed hand gun. I have not even considered asking for that permission in writing.
    I don't see any difference with verbal permission from a homeowner, a business or church, etc. Works fine for me so far, but then again, a handshake and a person's word used to always mean a binding contract...
    Still, I have no problem with verbal permission to conceal.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Regarding posted policies, verbal permission and written permission:

During my CHP class, I was told that I would have to ask permission from a homeowner to enter his/her residence with my concealed hand gun. I have not even considered asking for that permission in writing.
    I don't see any difference with verbal permission from a homeowner, a business or church, etc. Works fine for me so far, but then again, a handshake and a person's word used to always mean a binding contract...
    Still, I have no problem with verbal permission to conceal.

That's apples and oranges. When referencing a business and more specifically a financial institution of multiple branches that has anti-gun signs on (or near) the door of all their branches in response to a purposely made directive by the top management officials, I do not believe a branch manager has the capacity to over ride that directive. I also believe that as long as the sign is on the door it will not matter what you are told verbally by a lower member of management *IF* it ever comes down to a situation where you have to defend yourself. Are you actually willing to gamble your future freedom on that? I'm not. I fully believe the original intentions behind this decision were good, but not thought through completely without knowing what ramifications would come of it and I believe opinion from legal council clouded the decision as well, just a personal assumption. It seems like core principals are being traded for the possibility of lowering legal ramifications. Like the OP I've had an account since birth, If I'd known the policy was in place three years ago I'd have about a point lower interest on my mortgage right now....

Last edited:

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Glad to know that about Neighbors as I was about to open an account there and transfer my business from another Credit Union I have been with for years because their location is so much more convienient to me. I certainly won't be doing that now. If they are willing to lose honest law abiding customers based on their naive belief that a posted sign like that somehow makes them safer, then they are not anyone I want in control of my money! After all, why stop with the "no robbers" and "no guns" signs? Might as well put one up requiring "World Peace" as it would be just as effective and then all of our problems would be solved. I mean, all you need to do is put up a sign right?

Bayou Boy

Send it!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Quitman, LA
    Criminals also know murder adds to the prosecution and manhunt. Most only hand over a note. Introducing gunplay seems a step back. They will get caught anyway.

No way a criminal decides whether to rob a bank with a gun or without one based on what the prosecution will do or how tough the search will be for them.

I'm not saying they won't get caught or that the odds of getting away with it aren't poor. I'm just saying, the thought that everyone having a gun doesn't deter a criminal from trying this place, is not plausible in my mind.

I also don't like the thought that you should always just do what he says and HOPE that nobody gets hurt. If he's crazy enough to try a bank robbery, he's crazy enough to do whatever he needs to, to get what he wants and get out. If that means shooting an innocent unarmed person, he will do it. Turn the tables and let him know he's a one gunned man walkng into a hail of gunfire upon him, and I bet he's alot more deterred than worrying about the prosecution and the manhunt.

Again, this is just my opinion.

s2tbolt

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2007
    New Nola (aka Baton Rouge)
    ... I also believe that as long as the sign is on the door it will not matter what you are told verbally by a lower member of management *IF* it ever comes down to a situation where you have to defend yourself. ....

OK, I see your point. But it never occurred to me, however, that once I had spoken with the branch manager and obtained personal verbal permission that I should escalate the issue. (such as getting express written permission or ask to speak with her boss or obtain unanimous support from the corporate board of directors). I’m no lawyer but it could be argued in court that my actions have been reasonable and prudent.
    Now, if Neighbors installs metal detectors and purposely denies access to all permit holders regardless then I will do business elsewhere. Until then; do I have to say it?; concealed is concealed. And, I might add, I feel safer in the local NCU branch than the Jury Pool waiting room at the downtown courthouse or any Post Office branch I’ve visited lately.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No way a criminal decides whether to rob a bank with a gun or without one based on what the prosecution will do or how tough the search will be for them.

I'm not saying they won't get caught or that the odds of getting away with it aren't poor. I'm just saying, the thought that everyone having a gun doesn't deter a criminal from trying this place, is not plausible in my mind.

I also don't like the thought that you should always just do what he says and HOPE that nobody gets hurt. If he's crazy enough to try a bank robbery, he's crazy enough to do whatever he needs to, to get what he wants and get out. If that means shooting an innocent unarmed person, he will do it. Turn the tables and let him know he's a one gunned man walkng into a hail of gunfire upon him, and I bet he's alot more deterred than worrying about the prosecution and the manhunt.

Again, this is just my opinion.

We aren't talking about everyone having a gun, we are talking about 1 staff-member that is armed and in uniform. Most likely, he would be a $10/hr security guard who may/may not be a menace to society with that firearm if he ever DID attempt to fire it.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If anyone want's me to relay an email or if you want contact information for a phone conversation send me a PM. I especially urge a phone call or email if some lower management has given you verbal permission to carry on the premises :eek3::p and to check your rules book for the consequences of doing so. I was told the same thing "concealed means concealed" but if you face felony charges for defending yourself even if to the letter, it defeats the purpose. I'll be doing some research over the holidays part of which will be who do and who don't do...

Do not quote me but I do not foresee this changing, so after 26 years I'll be looking at changing my direct deposit. That totally 1000% sucks. Really hard. And of course I can not afford to move my mortgage. I've had an account since 1963.

Top Bottom