Why I never shoot at indoor ranges

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Last year a client of mine was at Nicks when someone with a 7mm mag managed to fire it straight up through the roof of the range... about gave my client a heart attack since he was standing a few feet away with his back to the shooter!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Last year a client of mine was at Nicks when someone with a 7mm mag managed to fire it straight up through the roof of the range... about gave my client a heart attack since he was standing a few feet away with his back to the shooter!

I have known Nick for about 35 years, when he had his gun shop on Main St in Gramercy. And I started shooting @ his range from day one. Nick is a decent and honest man imo. They have an application you have to fill out before shooting and they go over some rudimentary range rules, least they still did ~ 8 years ago when I brought a friend on mine there to shoot with me. His first time there.

I don't think you can totally prevent people from doing unacceptable things unless you stand behind every shooter there on the line one on one and monitor them. So i don't fault Nick or Paul or their employees directly.

Think about how you manage to do something like that ND you mentioned. Complacency or poor habits. A round chambered, safety off, finger on or hits the trigger. Nick's has wooden gun stands built onto his overhead covering supports. Sturdy yellow wood stands/shelf about 3 foot off the slab. I bet that's where this ND occurred just taking a guess, somewhere in the transfer/movement of the weapon from the line to rack or the reverse.

Either that shooter would have left the range (RSO command) or I woulda packed up my stuff and left pronto. 7 mag....nope I don't want to be the victim of somebody's stupidity or bad habits. Damn.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    At the Bass Pro in Denham Springs, there is a bullet hole in one of the trays or shelfs where you rest your gun when shooting.

And it does not matter if you are at an indoor range or outdoor range, stupid people shoot all over. I was shooting at the Serburne range near Krotz Spring a couple of years ago. Several of us called a cease fire so that people could go down range and tend to their targets. Me and several others put up new targets and went back to the firing area to wait for live fire again. Someone was down at the 100 yard targets and an idiot started shooting at his target before anyone yelled that the range was hot. We yelled at the guy to cease fire because someone was still down range, He just said, oh, my bad.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    At the Bass Pro in Denham Springs, there is a bullet hole in one of the trays or shelfs where you rest your gun when shooting.

And it does not matter if you are at an indoor range or outdoor range, stupid people shoot all over. I was shooting at the Serburne range near Krotz Spring a couple of years ago. Several of us called a cease fire so that people could go down range and tend to their targets. Me and several others put up new targets and went back to the firing area to wait for live fire again. Someone was down at the 100 yard targets and an idiot started shooting at his target before anyone yelled that the range was hot. We yelled at the guy to cease fire because someone was still down range, He just said, oh, my bad.

Just another reason why I have never gone and prob never will to these WMA managed ranges. Sherburne, Honey Island, no thanks. It def isn't worth saving 10 or 20 bucks to deal with some of these clowns with rifles and pistols. Clowns who shoot their tv @ home, or the wall, the floor of their vehicle, or sometimes their best buddy. No thanks.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    honey island

FRC has rules and some of the fine folks of Baton Rouge have difficulty following them.

If you think this only happens at indoor ranges, please never visit some of the WMA ranges or really any other public range.

Bedico could make more money if it weren’t such a dump.

Honey Island would be safer if they had paid employees, but that probably won’t happen.
    I have shot at the honey island range many times.They have strict rules and I have never had a problem

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have shot at the honey island range many times.They have strict rules and I have never had a problem

Cool.

I have also shot there many times and there have been issues. Most of them are from the volunteer RSO’s having poor awareness and/or a misunderstanding of their own rules. I have spoken with others that work out there and it has always been an issue. For the most part they do a good job and keep up the facility.

There is another member here that had the range called hot while he was still down range. I’ve personally been flagged by more people than I can count. I’ve had to argue with ignorant RSO’s and get the opinion of another RSO to clarify the rules to his fellow worker. It’s a public range with volunteer workers.

Top Bottom