Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    you'd have to make it a glock 21, or you're comparing .45 to 9mm, in addition to plastic fantastic vs steel. to get things somewhat even, it wojuld have to be an alloy framed 1911 9mm, compared to the Glock. The gov't model is a heavy old clunk, and unless you create very special ammo for the .45, it's just not enough more effective (than the 9mm) to make up for the weight/bulk ccw problems of the old clunk. I"d never pay $1000 for one, and I wouldn't care if El Jefe himself had engraved it. Not if I had to keep it, rather than sell it to some sucker.

STTAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    Problem solved

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407804435.265780.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407804435.265780.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 114

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    why is that 1911 pointed at your hand? why show sloppy, unsafe gunhandling, hmm? I'd get an Isreali or Filipino 1911 commander length if I was going to carry such a clunk, for $500, and a $200 alloy frame for it. practice with steel, but ccw the lw version. I carried a GM, IWB, about 100 hours per week for several years, and a lw commander for many more, and it just sux, man. give me a pocket 9. I can always stick it IWB, mexican carry, as I drive or when I think I might need it swiftly(but it's not feasible to be "hand in pocket". You're not putting a G19 or a commander in your pants pocket (discretely, able to draw it swiftly) The $2000 thus saved would buy a lot of scrap lead, primers, powder and brass

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    why is that 1911 pointed at your hand? why show sloppy, unsafe gunhandling, hmm? I'd get an Isreali or Filipino 1911 commander length if I was going to carry such a clunk, for $500, and a $200 alloy frame for it. practice with steel, but ccw the lw version. I carried a GM, IWB, about 100 hours per week for several years, and a lw commander for many more, and it just sux, man. give me a pocket 9. I can always stick it IWB, mexican carry, as I drive or when I think I might need it swiftly(but it's not feasible to be "hand in pocket". You're not putting a G19 or a commander in your pants pocket (discretely, able to draw it swiftly) The $2000 thus saved would buy a lot of scrap lead, primers, powder and brass

That isn't his gun in the picture, it is an April fools photo shop from years ago.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Have both a nice S&W 1911 (not $3K in it, but maybe 1K) and THE Glock 19. Anyway- I've shot Expensive Kimbers, STI, etc. yes they are as SpeedRacer said "Works of Art". Glock is also a work of art kinda..maybe modeling clay art... So I guess having an $3K 1911 it is like having a Cadillac Escalade: expensive, lots of costly options, great to look at, fun to drive, everyone goes "Woow", but needs lots of care, polishing, stains easy, and don't want to go off road and get it dirty. The Glock is like a Ford F150: Works, cheap to operate, lots of options, fun to drive, everyone goes "Yea Ford or I hate Fords", easy to maintain, and likes it dirty.

Last edited:

sphill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Leesville, LA
    I think the problem with this question is too subjective. You could continue asking things like why is a $500 Glock better then a $150 Hi-Point. Obviously there is a market for the Hi-Points all the way to the $3k 1911s.

As far as answering the specific question you have asked here, I believe the upper echelon of 1911s that you are referring to as costing $3k are as close to "hand crafted" you can find in a mass production world. These guns have more hand tuning, more manual labor involved, and tighter tolerances. On the flip side, a Glock is a mass produced firearm that takes very little time to produce. I have no proof of this but I would bet for a Glock to go from nothing to a completed gun ready for sale would take less then 24hrs. I think the $3k 1911 would probably be closer to 6 months. Like that old saying goes, "Time is money."

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I think the problem with this question is too subjective. You could continue asking things like why is a $500 Glock better then a $150 Hi-Point. Obviously there is a market for the Hi-Points all the way to the $3k 1911s.

As far as answering the specific question you have asked here, I believe the upper echelon of 1911s that you are referring to as costing $3k are as close to "hand crafted" you can find in a mass production world. These guns have more hand tuning, more manual labor involved, and tighter tolerances. On the flip side, a Glock is a mass produced firearm that takes very little time to produce. I have no proof of this but I would bet for a Glock to go from nothing to a completed gun ready for sale would take less then 24hrs. I think the $3k 1911 would probably be closer to 6 months. Like that old saying goes, "Time is money."

Actually, the tolerances on a Glock are much lower. I believe you are confusing tolerances and clearances

Top Bottom