Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Have both a nice S&W 1911 (not $3K in it, but maybe 1K) and THE Glock 19. Anyway- I've shot Expensive Kimbers, STI, etc. yes they are as SpeedRacer said "Works of Art". Glock is also a work of art kinda..maybe modeling clay art... So I guess having an $3K 1911 it is like having a Cadillac Escalade: expensive, lots of costly options, great to look at, fun to drive, everyone goes "Woow", but needs lots of care, polishing, stains easy, and don't want to go off road and get it dirty. The Glock is like a Ford F150: Works, cheap to operate, lots of options, fun to drive, everyone goes "Yea Ford or I hate Fords", easy to maintain, and likes it dirty.

I run my $3K WC in classes, carry them everyday. I keep them clean and lubed, but hell, did that to my Block when I owned one. It does not stain, and I am not scared to shoot it dirty. Very easy to maintain.

What extra care do the high end 1911's need?

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How about this for a change. Why is a $3000 Larue better than a $500 Bushmaster. They are both AR's but which one would you want to take into battle with you.

Beauxdog

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    How about this for a change. Why is a $3000 Larue better than a $500 Bushmaster. They are both AR's but which one would you want to take into battle with you.

Beauxdog

I like how you think.

I was excited to have a poly lower for my AR stuff. A friend asked me which one I would grab if I could only take one. Sold the poly lower shortly after that.

Nothing wrong with poly lowers, I suspect they will be rock solid in a few more years. But...

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    1911 has a soul and feels good to the touch. The Glock is a soulless hunk of plastic that is cold yet efficient.

I could only imagine what our forefathers would say. You chose German plastic over American Iron? SHAME!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    1911 has a soul and feels good to the touch. The Glock is a soulless hunk of plastic that is cold yet efficient.

I could only imagine what our forefathers would say. You chose German plastic over American Iron? SHAME!

I've never owned a 1911. I don't ever plan on owning one either.

Austrian, not German.

JR1572

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    I've never owned a 1911. I don't ever plan on owning one either.

Austrian, not German.

JR1572

Good to know. You are saying you are not qualified to speak to the difference between the to guns. Excellent post.

I don't think that our forefathers would have a different opinion moving from Germany to Austria.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Good to know. You are saying you are not qualified to speak to the difference between the to guns. Excellent post.

I don't think that our forefathers would have a different opinion moving from Germany to Austria.

He never said he has no experience with the 1911 either.

Opinions and assholes... We all have them.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    He never said he has no experience with the 1911 either.

Opinions and assholes... We all have them.

It's a thread based entirely on opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. I answered the question that was posed by giving my opinion why 1911's are better than Glocks. He is obviously just trolling so I threw the troll a bone, and he bit!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I run my $3K WC in classes, carry them everyday. I keep them clean and lubed, but hell, did that to my Block when I owned one. It does not stain, and I am not scared to shoot it dirty. Very easy to maintain.

What extra care do the high end 1911's need?

I would trust my like to WC. I just never saved the money for one. Either an HK, SIG, or even a Smith revolver keeps asking for the money!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I would trust my like to WC. I just never saved the money for one. Either an HK, SIG, or even a Smith revolver keeps asking for the money!

Yes Sir, I have a S&W in the rotation. I was blessed by some events that let me buy pistols I only drooled over. Run them like I stole them.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My $1100 Daniel defense

I used to have a Daniel defense ar, but when I got my noveske, the dd went on the chopping block. Crazy thing, I was more accurate with my 10.5 inch noveske than I was with my 16 inch dd. It was a great rifle, but there's definitely better out there.

Also I'm surprised no one said bcm?! I feel like they are on par with dd, but since dd raised all the prices within the last year or so, bcm is the better buy. Their uppers are always on sale.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I love it. Still no arguments that trump my comments on the advantages of metal framed firearms. Grab a modern sig with metal frame (226, 229, 227, 220, 1911) and realize that there is a better German firearm.

Then grab a colt 1911 and realize what you've been missing.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I used to have a Daniel defense ar, but when I got my noveske, the dd went on the chopping block. Crazy thing, I was more accurate with my 10.5 inch noveske than I was with my 16 inch dd. It was a great rifle, but there's definitely better out there.

Also I'm surprised no one said bcm?! I feel like they are on par with dd, but since dd raised all the prices within the last year or so, bcm is the better buy. Their uppers are always on sale.

I was under the impression that many of BCM's parts were made by DD. The DD CHF barrel is a plus over BCM's standard and is much cheaper than their CHF barrels. Never fooled with noveske, JWG's horror stories were enough to keep me away.

Top Bottom