why is this bullet profile not more popular?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    ioi8uq9vv4voeuzikv1h.jpg

It seems like this in a 9mm (147 grain?) would feed reliably as well as provide a bit of a shoulder to help punch a clean hole in paper targets. I also don't see any reason why it would be problematic, such as casting difficulties etc. Anyone?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've seen plenty semiwadcutters in the larger calibers, .40, .45 etc, but not the round nose swc in 9mm. So my question is, does such an animal exist?

If you can cast it, then why wouldn't it?
    I've read that ball ammo tends to stretch flesh, which then closes back up, so the permanent wound cavity is smaller than the bullet diameter. The shoulder of a SWC is actually supposed to tear a hole, which won't close. It sounds better than ball and cheaper than hollow points, so I don't know why we don't see them more.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    With that sharp of a shoulder it is very likely that here would be feeding issues in some guns. Performance wise, it would be a great design for self defense and paper punching.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Also, many SWCs are not that good at killing. You need to look at the meplat. The bigger the meplat, the more shock to the target. The cutting shoulder may not work in flesh very well because of the shock wave that the bullet creates (i.e. the tissue temporarily opens up wider than the edge so you don't get the cut). This is why the LBT flat nosed bullets have become so popular with hunters. They deliver tremendous shock to the target. A round nosed semi-wadcutter would provide you with the worst of all worlds.

Dan

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, many SWCs are not that good at killing. You need to look at the meplat. The bigger the meplat, the more shock to the target. The cutting shoulder may not work in flesh very well because of the shock wave that the bullet creates (i.e. the tissue temporarily opens up wider than the edge so you don't get the cut). This is why the LBT flat nosed bullets have become so popular with hunters. They deliver tremendous shock to the target. A round nosed semi-wadcutter would provide you with the worst of all worlds.

Dan

A shock wave in the tissue can't occur until the bullet makes contact.
    I think the round nose would help with penetration over a flat nose. If both rounds stay in the target, then the energy deposited with be equal either way.
    The hydrostatic shock of pistol rounds is negligible.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    A shock wave in the tissue can't occur until the bullet makes contact.
    I think the round nose would help with penetration over a flat nose. If both rounds stay in the target, then the energy deposited with be equal either way.

Shoot much game with cast bullets?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    6.jpg

Is this the LBT you mentioned?
    I think slightly curved sides with a chopped nose like these would feed more reliably while still having the edge of a shoulder.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    All I know is that Elmer Keith developed extremely effective bullets utilizing the SWC design. Can't be beat for hunting and defense, especially in the magnum calibers.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    6.jpg

Is this the LBT you mentioned?
    I think slightly curved sides with a chopped nose like these would feed more reliably while still having the edge of a shoulder.

That is one of them. From the picture, that looks like a WFN (wide flat nose) profile. The ones that I have the most experience with are the LFN (long flat nose) in .44 and .45 caliber. They penetrate deep with wounds that look like an X bullet. If you buy them from the right place (I used Beartooth Bullets), they are heat treated wheel weight alloy which will not shatter on bone. My favorite killer is the 340 gr LFN in a .454 at 1575 fps. I have never found one in game no matter what was hit or what angle. I did find a 300 WFN on a spine shot so penetration is less on those.

Even if penetration is equal, a round nosed bullet will slip through tissue without nearly the damage of a flat nose.

Oh, and the LFN profile bullets seem to be quite accurate.

Dan

Last edited:

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Lee makes a SWC mold for 38s that many people use for 9mm.

Thanks Todd, I may check that out. I am ultimately trying to find a bullet that has the feeding reliability of a round nose, while providing cleanly cut holes in paper targets (read uspsa targets).

dzelenka, it appears that the keith style bullet may be my answer. This is not exactly a pressing issue at my reloading bench, but it has always puzzled me as to why no one makes a round nose bullet with just enough of a sharp shoulder to punch a clean hole. Those perfect circles that the semi wadcutter shooters get just tick me off. Thanks-

Geardo

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Carencro

You must not have a 357 mag with a 6" barrel, 125hp's out of mine look like rifle hit's on varmit's, actually it does more tissue damage than a .308 with fmj's

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You must not have a 357 mag with a 6" barrel, 125hp's out of mine look like rifle hit's on varmit's, actually it does more tissue damage than a .308 with fmj's

The hydrostatic shock is the fluid shock wave that goes though the organs and such. For most pistol rounds (I can't quote the article, so I can't say which ones exactly), the organs are elastic enough to withstand the shock wave. A .357 hp is a bigger bullet (diameter wise) and it expands, so it should do more tissue damage.
    Of course I don't suppose there is much difference when pistol rounds start to reach rifle velocities.

Note: The hydrostatic shock isn't really relevant here anyway. I mentioned it in reply to a post that said "shock wave", but he was referring to the temporary cavity behind the bullet, I think.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom