Why More Gun Control?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    Hey BS members, so my english class's next assignment was to write a rant about what you hate, love, or believe in and I chose this as my topic, read it and see what you think and what WOULD YOU add to this? If you could add anything, let me know down in the comments, I may paraphrase and add it in my assignment, with your permission of course.. but its also a good read on what I think if you dont have anything to say.

"Why do we need more gun control with all the violence going around in the United States? I believe that more gun control would lead to more violence and more deaths by guns themselves. The US Government wants us, the US citizens of America, to turn in our guns, which I am HIGHLY against. Thugs and gangsters would laugh as we turn in our guns because they would never think about turning in their guns, most of which they’ve acquired through stealing the guns from other owners or purchased off the black market.

The Obama committee wants to push more laws against the AR-15 rifle, stating that post-ban (after ban) AR-15 rifles cannot have 2 or more of the following, detachable magazine, pistol grip, threaded barrel or flash-hider, collapsible stock, bayonet lug, or a grenade launcher. I think this is beyond ridiculous because any gun enthusiast who wants a custom AR-15 to their liking cannot have what they want with bans/rules such as these. A detachable magazine allows ease of reload, a pistol grip allows ease of shooting one handed (though not recommended) and is more comfortable to handle, a threaded barrel allows use of suppressors (with legal paperwork/stamp) and customizable after-market flash-hiders, collapsible stock aids in comfort, accuracy, and to quickly go from CQC (close quarter combat) to field accuracy range, while both the bayonet lug and grenade launchers, self-explanatory, allows for a bayonet/after- market weapons and grenade launchers; all of which scare and make the gun control committee cry in fear.

I am a gun enthusiast and also a member of the NRA (National Rifle Association) and I believe more gun control will do nothing to help the US citizens, instead just take away our 2nd amendment rights and leave us unarmed for those violent people to harm us. Cops in New Orleans (NOPD, JPSO, etc.) do very little to help protect the citizens of New Orleans, much so Louisiana as well as respond to incidents rather slowly. Because of this, I believe it is the right of each and every citizen to stay armed if they wish, in order to practice their 2nd amendment rights as well as keeping their family, friends, and ultimately, themselves safe from harm and trouble."

-to MOD, if this is in the wrong section, please move it to its appropriate sub-forum, and sorry in advance-
    -no offense to any officers who do their job correctly, its just the majority rules our the minority..-

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Hey BS members, so my english class's next assignment was to write a rant about what you hate, love, or believe in and I chose this as my topic, read it and see what you think and what WOULD YOU add to this? If you could add anything, let me know down in the comments, I may paraphrase and add it in my assignment, with your permission of course.. but its also a good read on what I think if you dont have anything to say.

"Why do we need more gun control with all the violence going around in the United States? I believe that more gun control would lead to more violence and more deaths by guns themselves. The US Government wants us, the US citizens of America, to turn in our guns, which I am HIGHLY against. Thugs and gangsters would laugh as we turn in our guns because they would never think about turning in their guns, most of which they’ve acquired through stealing the guns from other owners or purchased off the black market.

Don't start your paper with a question. You don't need to say "you believe..." It's your paper, we assume that you believe what you're writing.

Start with something like this: Gun control is one of the hottest and most polarized issues currently facing our society. Proponents to gun control firmly believe that by making certain firearms and firearm accessories illegal, they are somehow protecting our country.

From there you need to draw contrasts from what they think will happen and what will actually happen (ie law-abiding citizens turn in their weapons and criminals keep them and use them against those who turned their firearms in because the law said so)

If this is a "current events" paper, I can almost guarantee you that your instructor will give you flak, because they aren't currently talking about confiscation or making guns illegal. If you take the normal "They're going to take our guns!!!" approach, your instructor is likely not to give anything your say much thought.

The Obama committee wants to push more laws against the AR-15 rifle, stating that post-ban (after ban) AR-15 rifles cannot have 2 or more of the following, detachable magazine, pistol grip, threaded barrel or flash-hider, collapsible stock, bayonet lug, or a grenade launcher. I think this is beyond ridiculous because any gun enthusiast who wants a custom AR-15 to their liking cannot have what they want with bans/rules such as these. A detachable magazine allows ease of reload, a pistol grip allows ease of shooting one handed (though not recommended) and is more comfortable to handle, a threaded barrel allows use of suppressors (with legal paperwork/stamp) and customizable after-market flash-hiders, collapsible stock aids in comfort, accuracy, and to quickly go from CQC (close quarter combat) to field accuracy range, while both the bayonet lug and grenade launchers, self-explanatory, allows for a bayonet/after- market weapons and grenade launchers; all of which scare and make the gun control committee cry in fear.

Your arguments are seriously lacking. Saying that we should be allowed to have these things because it makes the gun more comfortable is not a good argument. For grenade launchers you can mention how you can only have smoke grenades (iirc) since grenades are destructive devices that have been banned since the NFA of 1934. Go to relevancy. What is the point of a ban on flash hiders or collapsible stocks?

I am a gun enthusiast and also a member of the NRA (National Rifle Association) and I believe more gun control will do nothing to help the US citizens, instead just take away our 2nd amendment rights and leave us unarmed for those violent people to harm us. Cops in New Orleans (NOPD, JPSO, etc.) do very little to help protect the citizens of New Orleans, much so Louisiana as well as respond to incidents rather slowly. Because of this, I believe it is the right of each and every citizen to stay armed if they wish, in order to practice their 2nd amendment rights as well as keeping their family, friends, and ultimately, themselves safe from harm and trouble."

Your "apology" at the end does nothing to refute the ignorance of that bolded statement. Also, the "much so Louisiana as well as respond to incidents rather slowly" doesn't make any sense.

-to MOD, if this is in the wrong section, please move it to its appropriate sub-forum, and sorry in advance-
    -no offense to any officers who do their job correctly, its just the majority rules our the minority..-

It needs a lot of work. I'm not sure how in-depth the paper is supposed to be, but this topic is complex and probably not the best topic for a one-page paper.

I wrote this: http://thegreatcontradiction.blogspot.com/2013/02/guns-some-facts.html just to touch on common misnomers in the current argument, and you can see how much it took.

Keep at it, brother.

brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    well, its a rant paper, so it doesnt need any proper paragraph or proper format. like i said, only a rant. but thanks for all the help!

also, usually our paper assignments are 3 or more pages long, but since mardi gras holiday was coming up, he wanted his student to have an easy and fun assignment... good teacher in my books, haha

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    well, its a rant paper, so it doesnt need any proper paragraph or proper format. like i said, only a rant. but thanks for all the help!

also, usually our paper assignments are 3 or more pages long, but since mardi gras holiday was coming up, he wanted his student to have an easy and fun assignment... good teacher in my books, haha

Haha, most all of mine are like
    "You have a week off, so spend it doing this lab report..."

Fun nazis

lacountryboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Covington
    Hey I would't use close quarter combat as reason for the adjustable stock. That's not the purpose for civilian's. It makes the gun adjustable to the shooters size frame. Collapsed for small framed, extended for larger people.Don't take a civilian rifle and put it in military citations. That's what they are already doing,and don't need anymore help.

Top Bottom