Wiki Weapon Project?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    theres a guy on arf that printed his own and has test fired it. It wont stay together very long, but might be suited for a .22 build or such

The technology will probably be available to print more rigid structures but a barrel, firing pin, etc still has to be metal.

The ATF has commented on it and so far is OK with the progress. You can borrow someone elses printer and print many parts to build your own. They are neat. But as you have seen with manufacturers poly lowers, a reliable and durable lower isnt easy.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    The better technology is still coming. Printing in plastic is nice and cute, but you can currently print in metal if you have enough money for the printer. Technology will progress to be printing in titanium before to long.

You just have to realize printing metal or plastic will never be a cheap way to make anything. Printers are meant for rapid prototyping, for any real production/usefulness you want to use forging/stamping/milling/molding. Its fun to play around with, but id just as soon have a mill and lathe to make a real weapon.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I was looking at the AR lowers that they're experimenting with as well, but I'm wondering about parts such as a cloned Glock frame. It's already similar to ABS plastic, and there's not much stress on the frame. Like you said there's a lot of parts that would have to be metal, the main use I can see for this is production of the parts that require registration. Ordering everything else should be easy enough if you already have a receiver/frame.

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    The better technology is still coming. Printing in plastic is nice and cute, but you can currently print in metal if you have enough money for the printer. Technology will progress to be printing in titanium before to long.

I think they actually have a 3D printer that can do Titanium Alloy. Its used in the auto industry mainly. But as you said, Im sure in a few years we will be amazed at the new innovations in 3d printing.

You are right about costs. The member on ARF was discussing the ridiculous costs of material when making the prototypes. It would cost 10+ times what a forged lower could be bought for.

There was a mention of one shot disposable guns that were undetectable by xray. That was the part that was upsetting people.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    I think they actually have a 3D printer that can do Titanium Alloy. Its used in the auto industry mainly. But as you said, Im sure in a few years we will be amazed at the new innovations in 3d printing.

You are right about costs. The member on ARF was discussing the ridiculous costs of material when making the prototypes. It would cost 10+ times what a forged lower could be bought for.

There was a mention of one shot disposable guns that were undetectable by xray. That was the part that was upsetting people.

Exactly, the advantage is with production. It is far cheaper to print off prototypes for initial testing, then produce the molds/designs for the real thing. But ya the automotive and aerospace industries are spearheading the world of printing due to these reasons.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    It's the coolest thing I've read about in years.....Just incredible. Yes....Today it's plastic....but it won't be long at all before the technology advances to the point where it can print in metal... or a ceramic/epoxy... or some other medium which withstands much more stress.
    Every time I read about this technology....I think about Star Trek and the "Replicator."

Furthermore......where does this leave the anti-gun crowd if within 10 years....there will be a printer which can replicate many of the parts for a firearm? Talk about a high tech Zip Gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom