Will Smith, former Saint, shot dead in NOLA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    A couple of days ago, my wife ad I watched an ESPN 30 for 30 special about the Duke lacrosse team. It shows you to wait until all the facts are known before making a decision on guilt.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    A couple of days ago, my wife ad I watched an ESPN 30 for 30 special about the Duke lacrosse team. It shows you to wait until all the facts are known before making a decision on guilt.

Excellent example!

And of course another good one is Tawana Brawley! But as long as race baiting con artists like Sharpton and Jackson are listened to by anyone; that trend has no chance of receding.

This case must be making Hillary Criminalton go crazy! Victims and shooter are black! Victim had CC permit and shooter has record! Oh, the struggle! Who to pander to? :puke:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    So if you hit me, and I pause and pull sharply off the road, you take that to mean it's fine? Don't even ask? And he didn't just casually pull away, he had to be on it to get that 6000-pound beast moving like that. I've been rear-ended three times. Once, it was raining, the guy was in a junk car, and I knew he just hit my hitch with his plastic bumper, so we both drove off. The other two times were in heavy interstate traffic and they followed me to the shoulder, they didn't assume me parking was an indication that I didn't care. The last one turned our that way and we both just left, but I don't see how that could be an indication that it's all good.

I was taught not to move the cars after an accident, to get out assess the damage and move the cars if they're blocking traffic.(many years ago) I guess it would depend on the circumstances and location(light tap vs solid hit, rain & interstate vs a city street w/o rain). Hayes' wheels were moving when the supposed tap took place and he stops a few seconds later so if it did occur, it was probably barely perceptible. Hayes slows down abruptly next to a parking space so one might assume that he wanted to park. When he doesn't get out and look at the back of his car and starts to pull into the parking place. a reasonable person might conclude that he's just parking and swing around him and keep going. Smith's attorney claims Smith didn't think the cars made contact which is possible given that Hayes' Humvee was moving when the hit was supposed to have occurred. But whether a hit and run occurred or not I don't think that changes the circumstances that must occur before you can shoot someone.

Last edited:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Merritt landry was not charged with murder when he presumed the teen had a weapon. If smith and hayes were arguing, smith mentions gun, and then motion towards his vehicle, could not presume threat? Stand your ground is perceived threat

Landry was locked inside of his own yard with a serial criminal. He stated he fired after he told the teen to stop and the teen moved toward him. He was arrested and went before a grant jury, spending thousands in legal fees and barely avoiding an indictment and a trial (I heard one Grand Jury vote). Smith's attorney states Mr. & Mrs. Smith walked AWAY from Hayes. An eye witness is heard on tape to say "He(Smith) said "get out of here or a have a gun!". I'm not sure Stand Your Ground means you have the right to keep f###ing with someone after they ask you to leave them alone. A juror will have to decide if a reasonable person would think Will Smith was walking towards his vehicle to get his gun or to get away from a confrontation. I'm sure there will be witnesses to bolster both positions. And a couple of toxicology reports.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Landry was locked inside of his own yard with a serial criminal. He stated he fired after he told the teen to stop and the teen moved toward him. He was arrested and went before a grant jury, spending thousands in legal fees and barely avoiding an indictment and a trial (I heard one Grand Jury vote). Smith's attorney states Mr. & Mrs. Smith walked AWAY from Hayes. An eye witness is heard on tape to say "He(Smith) said "get out of here or a have a gun!". I'm not sure Stand Your Ground means you have the right to keep f###ing with someone after they ask you to leave them alone. A juror will have to decide if a reasonable person would think Will Smith was walking towards his vehicle to get his gun or to get away from a confrontation. I'm sure there will be witnesses to bolster both positions. And a couple of toxicology reports.

Landry did not know the victim was serial criminal when he armed himself. He fired because he "perceived a threat"
    The stand your ground law allows you to legally defend yourself, as long as you are legally on the property and perceive a threat.
    I ask. How many of you would have a heated exchange of words with me, and not be threatened if I mention I have a gun while moving to my vehicle. If that's how it went down

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Landry did not know the victim was serial criminal when he armed himself. He fired because he "perceived a threat"
    The stand your ground law allows you to legally defend yourself, as long as you are legally on the property and perceive a threat.
    I ask. How many of you would have a heated exchange of words with me, and not be threatened if I mention I have a gun while moving to my vehicle. If that's how it went down

I would instantly regret escalating the situation. That's just it. It is almost universally a bad idea to get aggressive with random people because you have no idea what they are willing to do or are capable of.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS

Stand Your Ground doesn't "allow" you to do anything if the DA wants to prosecute you. The DA in New Orleans would have put Landry on trial if the Grand Jury indicted, Stand Your Ground or no Stand Your Ground. And a New Orleans jury could have come back with a guilty verdict (probably would have knowing New Orleans), Stand Your Ground or no Stand Your Ground. And Landry came within one vote of going to trial. I understand that the teen's 13 yr old brother, who was outside the fence serving as look out, was set to testify before the Grand Jury but got arrested two days before he was to appear and charge with ARMED ROBBERY. If the cops hadn't caught him and he would have testified, Landry could be in Angola right now and all the perceived threat in the world wouldn't matter. Stand Your Ground is just something your lawyer can tell a jury about. But the jury can do whatever it wants. And "Perceived Threat" is going to be decided by each one of those 12 jurors.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wonder how this played out with him getting or keeping his CHP?

Off the field, police arrested Smith in 2010 and charged him with public intoxication and domestic abuse battery after he allegedly dragged his wife of three years, Raquel, by her hair outside a Lafayette, Louisiana, nightclub, according to The Times-Picayune. He and his wife said it was a misunderstanding, the newspaper reported. Prosecutors dropped the charges at his wife's request after he completed community service and counseling requirements, the newspaper reported in 2012.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Since Sunday something has bothered me. When the hummer was towed away the spare tire was not secured on its swing away mount. That tire is what sticks out and would be the first thing contacted in a wreck. So if the hummer was hit the tire cover would have some kind of mark on it. If somebody on the scene opened the back and didn't latch it back, then there will be no marks. That would solve the wreck/no wreck debate. Any hummer owners can chime in on problems with the spare latch coming loose.
    Still that's no reason to draw down on somebody.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    And they did not disclose the results for his wife or the shooter. I think everyone involved was messed up from the end results .

Should be an interesting trial. Smith's wife downplayed his intoxication in her statement to police. The defense will jump all over that!

Funny how people defending their sides of a legal incident forget about that little ole' thing called a toxicology report! The only people that understand that are the criminals that kill people with their vehicles while driving under the influence and flee the scene to sleep it off. ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wonder if he was CC'ing with his CHP? He was a little over the .05 limit.

Hmmm. Good point! But I believe one of the later articles alluded to the NOPD finding the pistol under his seat. However, that doesn't mean he wasn't doing what you suggest at some point of the night above the .05.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Doesn't matter much now, doubt they will try to revoke a dead man's permit.

Maybe so, but if it can be proven that Smith was in fact CC'ing his weapon at any time leading up to his demise; say at the restaurant where he BAC would be even more thick, the defense could point to that as an example of Smith's attitude or behavior.

Just saying!

As for the permit, they may not revoke it, but I bet they would still want his money for a posthumous renewal! :mamoru:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Leaked yesterday!

Will Smith may have been 3x the legal Blood Alcohol Level at the time of his death! :eek3:

It will make no difference to the jury. DUI is not a good reason to shoot the driver and passenger. This will only dig the defendant in deeper.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, but if he was drunk waving a gun around and threatened to do harm to the other guy, the court may look at it differently.
    Years ago, Will Smith was arrested here in Lafayette downtown for roughing up his wife. I think through slick negotiations, charges we dropped.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Smith did not even get a chance to touch his handgun.
    Previous minor charges do not justify shooting Smith or his wife either.

Top Bottom