will supplements help me?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Health is 10% gym, 90% diet/rest. Period.

You don't need to work out more than half an hour a day, but consistency is key. Also, don't worry about lifting heavy weights. Lighter weights, more reps, more body weight exercises. A million guys can bench press a million pounds, but very few of those guys can do pull ups, push ups, burpees, sprints for reps without rest. Also, don't fall into the gym or nothing mentality. Go to the park, do a couple of miles and do pull ups, situps, lunges, squats, etc. Focus on eating clean, drinking a lot of water, and watching your form when you lift weights. Don't weekend warrior it. Build your strength and endurance over time. More is less until your body adjusts. Make sure you are getting enough rest, as it is easy to over-train and tax the body if it's not repairing. You don't have to run either. Walking distance, jogging, swimming, biking, boxing, etc. are all good exercises for the heart and the mid section. Eat complex carbs, cut sugars, take a multivitamin, and get a physical and blood work done at your docs to make sure everything is line.

I have lost 100# doing just this. I used to dread burpees but tonight I did 45 and it wasn't so bad. Body weight exercises are awesome. I used to not be able to do 10 push ups without looking like a limp snake but now I can do alot more then that. Pull ups I still struggle with. They are my nemesis but I need to get the rest of this weight off.

Also if you can find a tire store you can get a big truck tire and flip it over n over. I have one at the house. I may look silly but it is a full body work out and it will kick your butt. Its basically a squat then using your upper body to finish the movement. Will these type of exercises make you look like Arnie? No but I look and feel 100% better now then two years ago.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I went from a 46 inch waist back to a 38 about two years ago and must go to the gym several times a week plus in order to keep it there. I cut sugar out almost entirely and limit carbs. I do the protein after work out stuff.

But let me tell you a secret that many doctors have backed up for me when they do their ride time on the ambulance. Multi vitamins are a gimmick. You don't need them, particularly if you eat a well balanced diet.

I expect people to get upset and argue. That's fine. Take them if you want. They don't hurt you. But you simple don't need them. If you feel better with them then that's called a placebo effect. So if you. "feel" better and have the money to spend than buy them.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and there's the key: if you're eating a balanced diet. 90% of the country has failed to figure out how to do that, and an ever higher percentage doesn't understand that frozen or canned veggies don't yield the nutrients you need.

If your entire diet consists of multiple meals containing lean organic meats and fresh fruits and vegetables, then a multivitamin is probably not a whole lotta bang for your buck. I'd argue that if your diet was that legit, you wouldn't be asking about needing a vitamin or not. (not you directly, just you as in people)

I'll tell you that I've met plenty of overweight doctors that can parrot off what's good and what's not. I don't trust a skinny chef, a single match maker, or a fatty giving fitness advice - PhD or not. (again, just speaking generally- your doc could be Arnold for all I know.)

Ultimately, fitness knowledge is not valuable. Everyone knows what to do- but 70% of the country is obese. Its not unlike finance - everyone knows how to make a budget, but most of the country lives paycheck to paycheck. It's entirely behavior based, and you either have discipline and a goal or you're just stressing yourself out and wasting money on whatever promises easy results.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have lost 100# doing just this. I used to dread burpees but tonight I did 45 and it wasn't so bad. Body weight exercises are awesome. I used to not be able to do 10 push ups without looking like a limp snake but now I can do alot more then that. Pull ups I still struggle with. They are my nemesis but I need to get the rest of this weight off.

Also if you can find a tire store you can get a big truck tire and flip it over n over. I have one at the house. I may look silly but it is a full body work out and it will kick your butt. Its basically a squat then using your upper body to finish the movement. Will these type of exercises make you look like Arnie? No but I look and feel 100% better now then two years ago.

and there's the truth that most people want to over think. Doing something > Doing nothing. Unless its your profession, don't nerd out over working opposing muscle groups on 4 day splits with optimal carb cycles - just get your ass in there and do some work. The rest will fall into place. Odds are you're losing your fitness battle in the kitchen, not in your gym.

Congrats on dropping 100# man, most people will never know what that feels like. It's a tremendous accomplishment- just don't revert to old ways!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    and there's the key: if you're eating a balanced diet. 90% of the country has failed to figure out how to do that, and an ever higher percentage doesn't understand that frozen or canned veggies don't yield the nutrients you need.

If your entire diet consists of multiple meals containing lean organic meats and fresh fruits and vegetables, then a multivitamin is probably not a whole lotta bang for your buck. I'd argue that if your diet was that legit, you wouldn't be asking about needing a vitamin or not. (not you directly, just you as in people)

I'll tell you that I've met plenty of overweight doctors that can parrot off what's good and what's not. I don't trust a skinny chef, a single match maker, or a fatty giving fitness advice - PhD or not. (again, just speaking generally- your doc could be Arnold for all I know.)

I do! Why? A skinny chef is skinny because he doesn't have to put his fat fingers in everything he makes to taste it! He knows it's good! ;)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I do! Why? A skinny chef is skinny because he doesn't have to put his fat fingers in everything he makes to taste it! He knows it's good! ;)

I admit it Emp, you caught me. I overspoke. I actually met chef irvine this past week in dallas - and he's shredded. For those that care, his new fitness bar is next level amazing. FitCrunch. Nothing I've ever tried even comes close. He's also got a 12" pizza coming out that comes in at 800 calories for the entire pizza, including 22g of protein per slice. (Compare to 280 a slice, 9g protein traditionally)

No. I never once saw him eat his own pizza- but he did eat the bar lol.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I actually met chef irvine this past week in dallas - and he's shredded. For those that care, his new fitness bar is next level amazing. Nothing I've ever tried even comes close. He's also got a 12" pizza coming out that comes in at 800 calories for the entire pizza, including 22g of protein per slice. (Compare to 280 a slice, 9g protein traditionally)

No way in hell is Roma Pizza pizzas anywhere in this ball park. I feel as if I lose a day of life every time I take a bite of this guys stuff. :D

But, damn! It's good!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    lmfao. Their cooking method is that the pizza makes itself fatter.

Did you ever see an illusionist do the never ending scarf out of his mouth trick? Well, the last time I had a Roma Pizza I did the never ending "100% real" cheese strand from mouth trick. It lasted for 10 minutes! It only stopped when I hacked it with a Ginsu! :mamoru:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I take torrid ECA from UG pharm. twice daily.
    I use AndrenOLyn bulk/cuts every day before my workout.
    I also drink amino-X BCAA mix twice daily. Once between breakfast and lunch and once during my workout. Helps with fatigue and several other things.

It's been 6 months since I started in the gym. I've dropped from 271 to 186 as of yesterday. Eating healthier overall and absolutely no sodas helped a lot but I am extremely confident in saying the supplements I am on allowed me to shed the wait fast and made going to the gym enjoyable. I have no fatigue and I feel amazing when leaving.
    I go 6 days a week. I may not be the biggest guy muscle wise (wasn't my goal) but I have gained a TON of strength. (It was the workout routine) I chose that did that. I'm fairly lean with a little gut left but I was fat so what is left will just take time to tone. Core workouts are amazing and help strength gains everywhere else.

Congrats on the membership and enjoy!

Just a pic To back up what I was saying.
    Top left was my heaviest. From June 2014 I believe.
    The rest are all within the last month. I use the Rec center at school mostly but I also use P-fitness some in Gonzales.
    From 42 waist to 32 and some 30. And from xxl shirts to mediums.
    0e87c32563702710ea3bd106cdf49127.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Health is 10% gym, 90% diet/rest. Period.

You don't need to work out more than half an hour a day, but consistency is key. Also, don't worry about lifting heavy weights. Lighter weights, more reps, more body weight exercises. A million guys can bench press a million pounds, but very few of those guys can do pull ups, push ups, burpees, sprints for reps without rest. Also, don't fall into the gym or nothing mentality. Go to the park, do a couple of miles and do pull ups, situps, lunges, squats, etc. Focus on eating clean, drinking a lot of water, and watching your form when you lift weights. Don't weekend warrior it. Build your strength and endurance over time. More is less until your body adjusts. Make sure you are getting enough rest, as it is easy to over-train and tax the body if it's not repairing. You don't have to run either. Walking distance, jogging, swimming, biking, boxing, etc. are all good exercises for the heart and the mid section. Eat complex carbs, cut sugars, take a multivitamin, and get a physical and blood work done at your docs to make sure everything is line. Also, don't get caught up in the supplement hype. Many supplements will give you great results, but their ingredients can be shady since they are not monitored by the FDA. For instance, steroids popping up in powders, heavy metals and toxic chemicals in protein powders, etc. And madwabbit is spot on. Get a training partner. They keep you in line and motivated. Set a schedule and stick to it. Do your squats, even if you have diarrhea that day. Monitor your heart rate. Stay in the safe zone.

I went from a 46 inch waist back to a 38 about two years ago and must go to the gym several times a week plus in order to keep it there. I cut sugar out almost entirely and limit carbs. I do the protein after work out stuff.

But let me tell you a secret that many doctors have backed up for me when they do their ride time on the ambulance. Multi vitamins are a gimmick. You don't need them, particularly if you eat a well balanced diet.

I expect people to get upset and argue. That's fine. Take them if you want. They don't hurt you. But you simple don't need them. If you feel better with them then that's called a placebo effect. So if you. "feel" better and have the money to spend than buy them.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I take torrid ECA from UG pharm. twice daily.
    I use AndrenOLyn bulk/cuts every day before my workout.
    I also drink amino-X BCAA mix twice daily. Once between breakfast and lunch and once during my workout. Helps with fatigue and several other things.

It's been 6 months since I started in the gym. I've dropped from 271 to 186 as of yesterday. Eating healthier overall and absolutely no sodas helped a lot but I am extremely confident in saying the supplements I am on allowed me to shed the wait fast and made going to the gym enjoyable. I have no fatigue and I feel amazing when leaving.
    I go 6 days a week. I may not be the biggest guy muscle wise (wasn't my goal) but I have gained a TON of strength. (It was the workout routine) I chose that did that. I'm fairly lean with a little gut left but I was fat so what is left will just take time to tone. Core workouts are amazing and help strength gains everywhere else.

Congrats on the membership and enjoy!

Just a pic To back up what I was saying.
    Top left was my heaviest. From June 2014 I believe.
    The rest are all within the last month. I use the Rec center at school mostly but I also use P-fitness some in Gonzales.
    From 42 waist to 32 and some 30. And from xxl shirts to mediums.
    0e87c32563702710ea3bd106cdf49127.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn bro! That's some incredible progress. Keep it up. You look great now, especially compared to before. Mad props!

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Man that is awesome, very happy for you guys. Dishonored, thanks for the pics, they're worth a thousand words. Mind if I ask if you did more cardio than weights, or vice versa? Do yall recommend running first, or the weights?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    DH thats fantastic progress man. Way to go. Oh, and I need you to stop lifting with a batman shirt on, thats kinda my thing. thx.

- - - Updated - - -

Man that is awesome, very happy for you guys. Dishonored, thanks for the pics, they're worth a thousand words. Mind if I ask if you did more cardio than weights, or vice versa? Do yall recommend running first, or the weights?

Cardio drops pounds.

Lifting drops panties.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    DH thats fantastic progress man. Way to go. Oh, and I need you to stop lifting with a batman shirt on, thats kinda my thing. thx.

- - - Updated - - -

Cardio drops pounds.

Lifting drops panties.

I can do both can't I lol.
    I read bcaa will help with soreness. I can hardly move from the last two days. May need to pick some up.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I can do both can't I lol.
    I read bcaa will help with soreness. I can hardly move from the last two days. May need to pick some up.

You're going to be sore, thats a great indicator that you're doing something right. BCAA has a lot of benefits, but I'm not ready to say alleviating DOMS as one of them. You'll never be as sore as you were your first few weeks, it gets better. Eventually you begin to love the feeling. If something isn't sore, you just don't feel right lol

My past advice, for whatever its worth, was for clients to focus on losing excess weight first. If you chase 2 rabbits, they both get away - get lean first. You'll love it, and when you make muscular gains you can visually measure your progress. Science says the reverse is the easier route, but people constantly complimenting your new physique is an amazing motivator.

Last edited:

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Congrats flamatrix! That's amazing. Keep up the hard work. It's motivating to quantify how you feel with actual weight loss results.

Concerning pull ups, use your weight to your advantage to build strength. As you lose more weight, your pull up numbers will automaticaly rise. The worst thing you can do for pull ups are those swinging/jerk pull ups in Crossfit. That will just tear your joints up. To build your pull ups, focus on negatives and cable pull ups. Use a box to start in the pull up with your head at the "top" of the pull up, and slowly lower yourself. Do as many as you can do, then rest. As you build up, then you can focus on the "pull" of the rep. This will build your endurance and strength quickly. Also, kneel down in the middle of the cable cross, cross your ankles while kneeling, and pull the left cable with left arm, right cable with right arm, in the pull up motion, with the same form you would normally do a pull up. This will build the connecting tissue and toughen the ligaments and tendons for your actual pull ups. One more thing, if you have access to one, try a peg board. They are easy to build in your garage also. And... one last thing, do pull ups with a rope or towel thrown over the bar. You'll get there. I added 6 pull ups to my max in one month doing this when I got back into them. You don't want to work out the same muscle group if its still sore. Let your body heal, then tear it up again.

Also, bad ass transition Dishonored. Looking mean man.

On another note, concerning the topic of this thread, I used to use supplements. They worked great, I pretty much took everything except for steroids. I realize now that I'm older that I don't "need" them though. I started to become hooked in the sense that I had to have that shake, or had to have the creatine, or had to have the pre-workout aminos, etc... If I ran out of something I "needed" I didn't bother working out, because I wanted to "maximize" my workouts. I quickly realized that you can accomplish the same thing, without the health risks, eating healthy and working out regularly. It might take a bit longer, but you get out of something what you put into it.

Last edited:

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    You're going to be sore, thats a great indicator that you're doing something right. BCAA has a lot of benefits, but I'm not ready to say alleviating DOMS as one of them. You'll never be as sore as you were your first few weeks, it gets better. Eventually you begin to love the feeling. If something isn't sore, you just don't feel right lol

My past advice, for whatever its worth, was for clients to focus on losing excess weight first. If you chase 2 rabbits, they both get away - get lean first. You'll love it, and when you make muscular gains you can visually measure your progress. Science says the reverse is the easier route, but people constantly complimenting your new physique is an amazing motivator.

If I'm not sore, then the workout sucked!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Congrats flamatrix! That's amazing. Keep up the hard work. It's motivating to quantify how you feel with actual weight loss results.

Concerning pull ups, use your weight to your advantage to build strength. As you lose more weight, your pull up numbers will automaticaly rise. The worst thing you can do for pull ups are those swinging/jerk pull ups in Crossfit. That will just tear your joints up. To build your pull ups, focus on negatives and cable pull ups. Use a box to start in the pull up with your head at the "top" of the pull up, and slowly lower yourself. Do as many as you can do, then rest. As you build up, then you can focus on the "pull" of the rep. This will build your endurance and strength quickly. Also, kneel down in the middle of the cable cross, cross your ankles while kneeling, and pull the left cable with left arm, right cable with right arm, in the pull up motion, with the same form you would normally do a pull up. This will build the connecting tissue and toughen the ligaments and tendons for your actual pull ups. One more thing, if you have access to one, try a peg board. They are easy to build in your garage also. And... one last thing, do pull ups with a rope or towel thrown over the bar. You'll get there. I added 6 pull ups to my max in one month doing this when I got back into them. You don't want to work out the same muscle group if its still sore. Let your body heal, then tear it up again.

Also, bad ass transition Dishonored. Looking mean man.

On another note, concerning the topic of this thread, I used to use supplements. They worked great, I pretty much took everything except for steroids. I realize now that I'm older that I don't "need" them though. I started to become hooked in the sense that I had to have that shake, or had to have the creatine, or had to have the pre-workout aminos, etc... If I ran out of something I "needed" I didn't bother working out, because I wanted to "maximize" my workouts. I quickly realized that you can accomplish the same thing, without the health risks, eating healthy and working out regularly. It might take a bit longer, but you get out of something what you put into it.

very very good post. Not even going to elaborate. Very well done.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm not sore, then the workout sucked!

EXACTLY. You either understand, or ya don't. You sir get it.

Top Bottom