Winchester .308/ 7.62x51 NATO question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I know that 7.62x51 can be fired from a .308 Winchester action/ barrel and not necessarily vice versa. I recently picked up an LWRC MKII REPR, chambered in 7.62x51 and when I read the owner’s manual, LWRC stated to only use Winchester .308/ 7.62x51 NATO ammunition. Can anyone help me out on this one? Am I wrong to think that one should not fire .308 ammo from a weapon chambered in 7.62 NATO?? Thanks

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    You are correct that 308 Win is a hotter load than the 7.62 X 51 NATO but it sounds like the owners manual is saying the rifle is rated for both. The barrel should be marked 7.62NATO/308win or 308win/7.62NATO if the barrel is rated for both. It is my understanding is the caliber listed 1st is what is likely to be more accurate because of depth distance to lans and groves of the barrel.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Shoot it.. Hotter has nothing to do with it. Headspace is the thing you look for.
    Rifles with a .308 chamber headspace are cut shorter then 7.62 NATO chamber.
    NATO Spec ammo has a greater headspace tolerance .
    Your first statement is correct to a point. 7.62 NATO ammo has a longer chamber headspace than .308 and .308 will easily fit a NATO chamber, but some NATO surplus has a longer cartridge headspace and will not fit a .308 chamber

EDIT....Because NATO chambered rifles have a longer headspace , some .308 ammo could... possibly.... have a case rupture near the rim due to lack of support in that area . I've been shooting various types of "battle rifles" since the late 1970's with both 7.62 and .308 and it hasn't happened to me yet.

Unless you have a custom cut chamber for .308 match shooting, which would be tight.. the majority of off the shelf rifles can handle both.

....Beware of some " FOREIGN SURPLUS- 7.62 AMMO.' ..Some of it is too long for .308 and NATO cut chambers

Last edited:

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Shoot it.. Hotter has nothing to do with it. Headspace is the thing you look for.
    Your first statement is correct to a point. 7.62 NATO ammo has a longer chamber headspace than .308 and .308 will easily fit a NATO chamber, but some NATO surplus has a longer cartridge headspace and will not fit a .308 chamber

EDIT....Because NATO chambered rifles have a longer headspace , some .308 ammo could... possibly.... have a case rupture near the rim due to lack of support in that area . I've been shooting various types of "battle rifles" since the late 1970's with both 7.62 and .308 and it hasn't happened to me yet.

Unless you have a custom cut chamber for .308 match shooting, which would be tight.. the majority of off the shelf rifles can handle both.

....Beware of some " FOREIGN SURPLUS- 7.62 AMMO.' ..Some of it is too long for .308 and NATO cut chambers

Great in-depth explanation! Thanks for clearing that up and offering your personal experience

2tix2gunshow

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Baton Rouge

This exactly.

Top Bottom