winchester12ga 100 rnd packs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    anyone else have a problem w/ extraction? tried them in a norinco '97 and a rem 870 tactical magnum and they tie both guns up @ the first shot. chambers are clean and smooth. anything w/ a brass case-head runs 100% in both guns. these are lo-"brass" rounds w/ 1 1/8 lead @ 1200 fps w/ the "silver" case-heads. many thanks, vic

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    i realize they are steel. after my divorce a few yrs ago sold most all of my progressive shotshell presses to some of the guys @ hunters run as i shot skeet there for around 6 yrs. w/ lead prices the way they are was looking @ an alternative so my new bride can get more time behind her remington. may just have to suck it up and pull out the old versa-mec and load again or wait for dove season to score some brass field loads by the flat. vic

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Those are STEEL heads; and that's your problem. These are well-known through-out the 'tactical community' for causing problems in repeaters; both pumps and self-shuckers.They will even tie up an O/U; I spent 10 minutes once helping a guy on my squad at Hunter's Run dig one out of a Browning Citori- the out-of-spec rim had become wedged UNDER the extractor.

What you're dealing with here is ammunition quality lessened to meet a price point. The Federal "value packs" are the same, although, from what I've been hearing, the Winchester examples have far more issues in a wider variety of shotguns.

Moral of the story: pay a bit more for brass heads. ;)

REAL moral of story: Buy your ammo at a GUNSHOP !

leVieux

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    i have seen a bunch shot also. a guy i shot w/ years back feed his '97 winchester these @ cowboy matches w/ no trouble. maybe his gun had a sloppy chamber. they tied my '97 clone up soo bad the extractors tore thru the rim! the remington did eject the fired round, but only w/ a concered effort. vic

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The Winchester valupaks are horrible, the Remingtons are much better, and I strictly shoot eyetalian guns.

I think it has something to do with the winchesters 2 piece hull combined with the steel base, sometimes one doesn't get just right, and the extractor jumps it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I think we were issued low recoil buckshot at one time without brass. Don't know if it was steel but I never had a problem with it in the ole 870. Now we are issued the new federal buckshot which is amazing.

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    i guess my thing is this! i've shot thousands of steel cased 223, 9mm, 7.62x39 without the first FTE! we're talking about rounds w/ 2.5 times the chamber pressure of a 12 ga. the steel case-heads appear to have a coating as the other ammo mentioned but apparently gall in the chamber. WTF? vic

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Those are probably something similar to the Federal "Top Gun" loads, which BTW are $4.99/box at Walmart.

ETA: Found a picture of an open box of those shells, they are brass heads, not steel, and actually look very close to a Gold Medal hull (externally)

Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Shipping comes out to $12.50ish. I usually just use the Winchester Expert and that's $6.50 so it's about the same. Just didn't know if the Federal was better. I could use all the help I can get

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Remington Gun Clubs are, IMO, a happy medium. Its a quality shell that isn't priced out of sight, like the AAs are now. The problem is finding them around here. Every now and then you'll see them at Academy or Wally World, but the only place I've seen them regularly is at Dick's in south BR. Three times I tried to buy a quantity of these at Dick's; and three times I walked out empty-handed and with a felony case of the red ass. All due to mentally arthritic employees; the last guy I dealt with there, I'll bet money he was on work-release from Jackson. Ignorance regarding a product or policy I can handle... ignorance with attitude, they can bite me. I've darkened Dick's doorway for the last time.

Another problem with the Gun Club's (and again, this seems to be a Dick's specialty), is 20 round boxes. WTF? Every traditional shotgun target discipline I am aware of has target arrays in multiples of 25. The 20 round box is, IMO, a way to attract those nimrods who aren't paying attention to anything but price. They get what they ask for... ;)

So in Bass Pro's Labor Day sale they have the Gun Club Target Loads listed for $5.50 for a box of 25. They also have the 3901 for $599. So my inlaw was going to buy a 390 but what is the difference between the two

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    So in Bass Pro's Labor Day sale they have the Gun Club Target Loads listed for $5.50 for a box of 25. They also have the 3901 for $599. So my inlaw was going to buy a 390 but what is the difference between the two

3901's have the rounded reciever and stock like a 391, but with the 390 forearm and gas system. The newer 3901's have barrels made by stoeger (which is owned by beretta) since beretta is phasing out the 391/3901's and going to the A400 as their flagship autoloader. FYI, there is a BNIB 3901 on LA sportsman for $530.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Here's a link to the ad. At the bottom in fine print it does say they can limit how much you buy

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...g=sep1_11_tab&rfx_versioningid=028&storeID=13
    3901's have the rounded reciever and stock like a 391, but with the 390 forearm and gas system. The newer 3901's have barrels made by stoeger (which is owned by beretta) since beretta is phasing out the 391/3901's and going to the A400 as their flagship autoloader. FYI, there is a BNIB 3901 on LA sportsman for $530.
    Thanks for the info. I'm also in Tejas now so La Sportsman is an option. Any chance a price drop on the 391/3901s?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom