Winemaking?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    I am trying to get into winemaking and was wondering if any members on here make wine. Are there any good places to buy equipment or supplies in Baton Rouge or Lafayette? I'm just looking for some info to point me in the right direction and for advice as i get it going. Thanks

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Why yes I do. I do muscadine, blackberry, Japan plum and some kits. There are no homebrew shops in the areas you list that I am aware of. There is a nice one in New Orleans called Brewstock. I find it just easier to order online from Winemakers toy store in Texas. 2 days and you have your stuff. The forums I like the best for winemaking are

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/index.php

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Marcello's Wine off S. College and Johnston in Lafayette is a one stop shop for wine/beer making supplies (minus the fruit) and I think they still have a group of homebrewers who meet up over there every month or so to bs and swap recipes over a few.

Never been lead wrong there. Prices are a bit higher than the internets, but they usually have what you're looking for. They'll get it if they don't have it.

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    Thanks, I tried to check out marcelo's a three or four times and they were closed a week or so ago. I don't know if they are relocating or remodeling. I'll try them again when I get back on land. Where do you get your muscadines? Ive been looking at some kits and I will post a link later to see if it's a good kit or not. Do I need a crusher or press?

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    There's a little place on Hwy 190 east of Denham Springs -- The Homebrew Shop, 8611 Florida Blvd -- that sells supplies for making beer, wine, soft drinks, cheese. Only open limited hours so best to call before going 225-665-0307. I've made wine for about 15 years -- pear, muscadine, lemon, apple are standards, plus I will occasionally buy a good kit. Purchase of a all-in-one kit like you propose is a good way to get started, but you'll quickly identify additional items needed. Get a good how-to book, like Winemaking by Stanley Anderson. Forums like winemakingtalk.com are great resources for answers, advice and recommendations. It's a great hobby, so good luck!

mmccal8

:|
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Shreveport
    I just started by first batch of strawberry wine. It's on its 4th overall week. There is an enormous amount of information on the internet about wine making. I started my ordering a kit from ECKraus: http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making/wine-making-kits/your-fruit-necessities-box.html
    That kit is designed to make a country wine and you only have to add a fruit.
    lemon wine?
    Have yall ever heard of skeeterpee? I'm thinking that that might be my next batch.
    http://skeeterpee.com/

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    lemon wine?

Lemon is one of my best wines. Mine is not skeeter pee, it is a true wine.

My uncle gave me all his old equipment and got me started about 4 years ago. I have made black berry, blue berry, huckel berry, strawberry, wild plum, persimmon, pear, lemon, orange, lemon-orange mix, orange-banana mix, grape fruit, and fig.

Citrus wines, when done properly (and aged) are surprisingly good. I do not touch my citrus wines until they have atleast 1 year of age on them.

The only disappointing batch I have made was an attempt at water melon.

Right now I have 3 gallons of Louisiana Sweet orange ready to be bottled, 3 gallons of Japanese Persimmon in secondary, 3 gallons of Carolina Persimmon in secondary, 6 gallons of Lemon from last year ready to be bottled, and I just stared 12 gallons of Lemon.

I highly recorded www.winemaking.jackkeller.net/ for information, technique, and recipes.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I've been homebrewing and home-vintning for about 20 years. Haven't had a store-bought brew since I started my own. Currently have 5 gallons of mead in secondary fermentation and it will be there til May. Then I'll bottle half in beer bottles with priming sugar and half in wine bottles. whew. Good stuff.
    Fixing to start a batch of amber wheat and get my muscadine wine started. I'm running out of carboys/fermenters.
    Try also midwest supply online. They're fast, not too bad on prices and their catalog is top notch. Good luck- you'll enjoy doing your own.

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    Thanks for all the help, what do y'all recommend for a crusher or fruit press or can I do without them for the time being?

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Before I got my grape crusher I was using a soil compacter. Basically a flat piece of metal on the end of broom handle. Put fruit in a large Rubbermaid container and smash away.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Lemon is one of my best wines. Mine is not skeeter pee, it is a true wine...

Not sure what you're defining as "true wine"(?) I have a neighbor with Meyer lemon trees and he gives me at least a bushel of lemons every year. I juice the lemons and then follow a recipe to make a fermented beverage similar to Skeeter Pee. It's just a hard lemonade (without carbonation) that we drink over ice -- gotta be careful, though, because it will sneak up on you!

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Not sure what you're defining as "true wine"(?) I have a neighbor with Meyer lemon trees and he gives me at least a bushel of lemons every year. I juice the lemons and then follow a recipe to make a fermented beverage similar to Skeeter Pee. It's just a hard lemonade (without carbonation) that we drink over ice -- gotta be careful, though, because it will sneak up on you!

I have made skeeter-pee too and you are right, it will sneak up on you. It does hit the spot on a hot summer day when chilled. What I was referring to is citrus wines (and skeeter pee) tend to lack 'body' that traditional wines have. I usually use either 100% white grape juice frozen concentrate (no preservatives) or chopped golden raisins in my citrus wines. It really helps to add body but you still get the flavor of the citrus.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom