Wing Chun anyone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Anyone here practiced Wing Chun before?

To me, it's a really fascinating art and I'd like to learn some of it.

Any instructors near Ft. Polk? I'm hoping because there doesn't seem to be much of anything near Polk. :rofl:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Contact the White Crane Kung Fu studio in Baton Rouge and they should know of every form of Wu Shu being taught in La.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I trained at Ft Bragg with Seefu Edwards. He is a legend in that area. It's great as a piece of the answer. It works well in close quarters. It is intensive and requires lots of practice. It also lacks live sparring which is no bueno.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Anyone here practiced Wing Chun before?

To me, it's a really fascinating art and I'd like to learn some of it.

Any instructors near Ft. Polk? I'm hoping because there doesn't seem to be much of anything near Polk. :rofl:

Art? I thought it was a spicy oriental dish.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I trained in wing chun for 5 years. It truly takes a lifetime to learn. 10 years just to start truly learning.

Great art though, especially if you also study Jeet Kune Do.

Not for tournaments or trophies, but real life.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thats pretty subjective and depends on a lot of variables. Give equivalent physical size and strength I wouldn't. Not because I think WC is the be all end all, it's not, but because the boxer would have limited ability to work from the clinch. I think the WC guy would be able to exploit that, stay inside and under the boxers power punches, and get a bunch of blows in. I think the concept of simultaneous defense and attack would give a boxer fits.

Now on the other hand I think a Muay Thai guy would destroy a WC Guy. The Clinch Game would again be the key. The MT Fighter would be able to control the WC fighter and beat him with his knees and elbows.

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Boxing, Wing Chun and Muay Thai all have one thing in common, each had a big influence on JKD so that speaks a lot for those systems.

I'm not asking anyone for a pissing contest of what art they think is better.

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think the concept of simultaneous defense and attack would give a boxer fits.

IMO the problem though with wing chun generally is, at the end of the day, there's alot of talk about concepts that supposedly take decades to master, meanwhile there's very little fighting and the boxers across town are in the ring getting hours of practice. Not practicing push hands/sticky hands or drills, but really learning from pain how to deal with an opponent that has the ability and intent to punch their skulls in.

I'd think that virtually everyone here would laugh at me if I said I can teach you how to be a better operator than any special forces in the country, but it takes decades to master and you will rarely if ever fire a round or go through any force on force training. You will never be deployed where your skills will be put to the test. We're going to do alot dry firing and drill and discuss the theories behind special warfare.

Would anyone believe that a man who spent 30 years in those conditions would have anything on a guy who spent (for argument's sake) six months on basic and ranger school then six in Afghanistan?

I also seem to always read statements about wing chun having no rules and combat sports having rules, but I just don't buy that at all. To go with the above comparison, that's like saying my 30 year master "has no rules" and would perform better than the ranger because the ranger has been trained around rules of engagement. It's absolutely silly, and I don't understand how things from "the far east" often times get a reverence that ignores logic and evidence (I'm looking at you, accupuncture).

I'm not asking anyone for a pissing contest of what art they think is better.

I know and I'm really not meaning to hijack. I actually like Chinese martial arts for alot of different reasons, but I take some issue to the statement DuckYou made about WC being for real life and not for tournaments and trophies, because I've heard statements like that in the past with a sentiment to them that is absolutely dangerous.

CCW is for real life, situational awareness is for real life, tact and emotional control are for real life. Martial arts are for fun, physical and mental strengthening or relaxation, social interaction, spirituality if that's a person's thing, and so on. Perhaps to a small extent, for getting to or using a weapon in real life when those other factors have failed to some point.

If any martial art is good for dealing with a truly violent aggressor on its own, we should ask ourselves if Baton Rouge's murder rate would be lower if the "victims" knew X martial art. Suddenly the entire line of thinking comes off as being totally absurd, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I agree with you about the lack of sparring. I noted that as a big flaw earlier. There are a few schools left in the country where I believe WC is really trained anymore. It is definitely flawed because of that. Of course boxing is a sad state in this country as well. But your point is very valid. It's an argument I use all the time actually about the supremacy of good MMA Training over just about any other Combative Art. With MMA you actually get to evaluate the theory against a resisting human opponent. I think there is a great deal more value in learning to choke out a person who is actively resisting than learning a secret ancient Death Punch you can't ever practice. Same goes with eye gouges and other too dangerous to practice techniques.

The simultaneous defense and offense isn't just theory anymore. It has been well validated in the field by Krav Maga Practioners and Special Operations Guys versed in the S.P.E.A.R System. Both borrowed that piece of the puzzle from WC.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    IMO the problem though with wing chun generally is, at the end of the day, there's alot of talk about concepts that supposedly take decades to master, meanwhile there's very little fighting and the boxers across town are in the ring getting hours of practice. Not practicing push hands/sticky hands or drills, but really learning from pain how to deal with an opponent that has the ability and intent to punch their skulls in.

I'd think that virtually everyone here would laugh at me if I said I can teach you how to be a better operator than any special forces in the country, but it takes decades to master and you will rarely if ever fire a round or go through any force on force training. You will never be deployed where your skills will be put to the test. We're going to do alot dry firing and drill and discuss the theories behind special warfare.

Would anyone believe that a man who spent 30 years in those conditions would have anything on a guy who spent (for argument's sake) six months on basic and ranger school then six in Afghanistan?

I also seem to always read statements about wing chun having no rules and combat sports having rules, but I just don't buy that at all. To go with the above comparison, that's like saying my 30 year master "has no rules" and would perform better than the ranger because the ranger has been trained around rules of engagement. It's absolutely silly, and I don't understand how things from "the far east" often times get a reverence that ignores logic and evidence (I'm looking at you, accupuncture).

I know and I'm really not meaning to hijack. I actually like Chinese martial arts for alot of different reasons, but I take some issue to the statement DuckYou made about WC being for real life and not for tournaments and trophies, because I've heard statements like that in the past with a sentiment to them that is absolutely dangerous.

CCW is for real life, situational awareness is for real life, tact and emotional control are for real life. Martial arts are for fun, physical and mental strengthening or relaxation, social interaction, spirituality if that's a person's thing, and so on. Perhaps to a small extent, for getting to or using a weapon in real life when those other factors have failed to some point.

If any martial art is good for dealing with a truly violent aggressor on its own, we should ask ourselves if Baton Rouge's murder rate would be lower if the "victims" knew X martial art. Suddenly the entire line of thinking comes off as being totally absurd, doesn't it?

We sparred all the time. If you go to China, they spar all the time. It is the cheesy Wing Chun places that do not.

Wing Chun goes well with Jeet Kune Do, because JKD does allow you to jump right in and have some applicable skill from the beginning. I personally did Wing Chun, JKD, and Kali at the same time. It is amazing when the Wing Chun kicks in and you are reacting with out thinking, but that did take 4 years of practicing 3+ days a week for 3+ hours a day.

The JKD did provide that quicker training, and the Kali made weapons much more familiar.

If I had a child I would introduce Wing Chun early, then move them into JKD.

Unfortunately, I have not found a decent Wing Chun or Jeet Kune Do.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've never tried any- but it sounds delicious.

IMG_1147_edited-1.jpg

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    In your area you may have to take sumthing else, but take sumthing. First; Take an art that bests suits you that you think you would be good at. Second;find a good teacher. I would take a art that may be my second or third choice from a great teacher, rather than my first choice in systems from a average teacher. This is just my opinion.

There is no best art; there is only the art that is best for you and how good you are at it. Anyone that tells you different is wrong.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In your area you may have to take sumthing else, but take sumthing. First; Take an art that bests suits you that you think you would be good at. Second;find a good teacher. I would take a art that may be my second or third choice from a great teacher, rather than my first choice in systems from a average teacher. This is just my opinion.

There is no best art; there is only the art that is best for you and how good you are at it. Anyone that tells you different is wrong.

It depends on if you want to learn to fight for real or sport, and there are many arts that are better than others.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Sigma Chi Fight Night in college.
    Wing Chun - 1.
    Boxer - 0.

It isn't as cut and dried as posting on a forum that this guy will beat that guy or a boxer will beat a WC practitioner.

Top Bottom