Winter Diesel Additives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    In my second year of my first ever diesel truck (2021 GMC 2500). The weather conditions this past weekend provided me with another great learning experience. At the last minute last week, we decided to take the truck to Tennessee to be with the kids for Christmas. At the low extreme, the temperature reached 3 degrees one day while we were there. It was a little disconcerting when we went out and the truck would not start. It took a little while Googling to come to the belief that the diesel fuel had gelled, or at least reached a viscosity point where it couldn't pass through the filter. It appears that I should have started using additives as the weather started turning colder, and especially, since I was heading north out of south Louisiana. My question to those with long diesel engine experience is, what diesel additive do you use or recommend for winter use?

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Howe’s is pretty popular with the Truckers. Stop in at a Love’s Fuel Stop & check out their selection, also Wally World usually carries some. If you check out the chemistry they are all pretty close to the same. Something is better than nothing during the weather we just had.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We get all of our on farm fuel treated to prevent algae growth and I additionally run Lucas treatment in my pickup about once a month.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think it was the multiple days in the low teens/ single digits that got me. The block heater is supposed to help keep the coolant and oil from freezing, or getting too thick, and I don't think the temperatures got quite that far down, but close. I'm reading that there are other reasons to use additives besides de-gelling including water removal and better valve/injector lubrication. I also saw some discussion about people putting 2 stroke oil in their diesel for lubrication. Not going there though.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I use Hot Shot's Secret EDT and Diesel Extreme, I'm pretty sure anti-gel is already added to the fuel in places that get cold enough. FYI people think you can just let diesel trucks idle for long periods of time, this is true only if you High idle (at least 1000rpm's), if you cant high idle just let the turbo cool down a few minutes after driving then shut the truck off

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We get the bulk plant to treat it as we buy it, when harvest is over and we will be storing it for several months we additionally use John Deere Fuel-Protect and Biocide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom