Wire splice in wall w/o box?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I am going from 4 lights around a dressing room mirror (2 at top and 1on each side) to two lights above the mirror. The line comes to the lights from the switch through the first light fixture on the side, which will no longer be there. So I need to splice the wire at that point. I really don’t want to have a box cover exposed and I don’t want to hide it behind a mirror. I could use a GFCI breaker (the location is next to a sink). I have seen a “TE Splice kit” that some say is legal to splice without a box, but I would like to hear if it meets code from a licensed electrician. Or other recommendations that would meet code.
    thanks.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    First: No hidden splices within a wall, period. Any splice must be within a box and be completely accessible.
    Second: If you provided more info such as a picture(s) and whether or not there is attic space above, that would help.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    IMG_7211.jpeg

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    My background is close to 50 years in the business.

First thing I see is that there are no fixture boxes where the light fixtures were. That wasn't right at all. The taps must've been made within the light fixture canopies, or escutcheons. Not right.

With that being said, if you have attic access to those walls from the attic, I'd abandon all the existing wiring. I'd run a new switch leg cable ("Romex) from the switch box (where you dimmer is) to the first light location at the top of the mirror, and a second jumper from the first light to the last one--all via the attic--and install proper round "pop-in" fixture boxes (aka, "old work" box) for the light fixtures.

An alternate method if you're ok with doing some sheetrock work, would be to just slice the walls to create a 4" channel; drill the studs, and run the new cable in the wall. Don't know if you were planning on doing any sheetrock demo and patching.

Hope that helped a little.

Jimmy

Top Bottom