WMA Daily Permits...Are They Serious?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    A few years ago the WMAs began requiring hunters to fill out a permit before hunting. At the end of the hunt, the hunter is required to fill out the results of the hunt.

I assume this info is being used to track hunter success as an indication of the condition of the game. I also assume that should a game agent find that a hunter has not filled out the permit before hunting, he would write an expensive ticket for the violation.

I'm good with all that. What I question is what I've experienced at Dewey Wills this year, where some check-in stations do not have any permit forms when a hunter stops to check in. What's a hunter supposed to do? Multiple choice:

1. Shop around the WMA's other permit stations in the hope of finding a permit somewhere.

2. Hunt without a permit in the hope that if caught, the game agent will understand and give him a pass. If wrong about that, the hunter be written an expensive ticket.

3. Just go home and pout.

I've also found some check-in station permit boxes so packed with the after-hunt permit reports that it's impossible to stuff the results into the box. Because of this, I've seen some after-hunt permit reports on top of the box with a stone holding them down, and some fallen on the ground.

Somebody out there isn't taking this permit thing seriously, and it appears it's not the hunters.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Budget cuts.

They care BTW; there is just only so much they can cover. However, if you want to blame someone; blame recreational fishermen and more specifically, saltwater recreational fishermen. In the mid 90's when they were cheering on the dismantling of the Louisiana commercial fishing industry and the lopsided allocation of resources to them, they were asked to pony up some extra money on the costs of fishing licenses to offset the loss of revenues that would eventually come from them getting all of the resource, and the commercial inshore fishery revenues lost. You would have thought wildlife & fisheries was asking for the virginity of their first born daughters, forced sex with their wives and sisters, and heads of their mothers.

The crying, kicking, and screaming by them to denounce a $2.00 increase per license was more shameful than the scum baggery, lying, cheating, and fraud done by those that put in claims for BP money when the spill had no negative effect related to them or their businesses.

Speed up to today, and you have Louisiana government that has overspent and under collected for a forecasted budget shortfall in excess of nearly $800 million dollars next year.

The people in wildlife & fisheries do care; they just can't pull money out of their asses when you have greedy, self important resource user groups, and thieving politicians just worrying about themselves.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I'm pretty sure you have to fill those out even if your not hunting. I've gone in when there wasn't any more permits to fill out. The agents I know are pretty nice and would be understanding of that situation I would think. I would rather take my chances anyways. I'm not gunna let something like that ruin my good times. I've never even ran into an agent in the field anyways.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I tried what T-Bone suggested one time when I visited the Pearl River Wildlife Refuge and left a forwarding phone # for the administrator to reply. I did get a reply. I was called a number of four letter words for spreading unfounded rumors about the biologist of the area and that his boys check those boxes twice weekly religiously. Even though I saw filled out permits over a month old just laying on the ground underneath the return box I did not document what I had seen. And the box was so full u could not cram another one in it. I Just let it drop and have only returned to go to the range and never to spend time hunting.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I keep extras in my truck. If I can't get the part of it that's supposed to be put in the box because the box is full, I don't worry about it. I just make sure I have the part that I am supposed to keep on me while hunting. If I run across a no permit situation, I'll take a picture of the empty box. I will try to go to other check-in stations to find a permit.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    The Self-Clearing Permits are also required for camping, shooting or any other use of the WMA. Having used Sherberne WMA for years, and had many instances of finding no permit forms, the box stuffed full, etc, I just grabbed about 5 or 6 and keep in my truck. I have been present when the LWF guys come check for filled out permits and possession of a hunting or fishing license (required to use the ranges), and issued tickets when permits were not filled out prior to use. It's far from perfect but it's what we have to use

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The Self-Clearing Permits are also required for camping, shooting or any other use of the WMA. Having used Sherberne WMA for years, and had many instances of finding no permit forms, the box stuffed full, etc, I just grabbed about 5 or 6 and keep in my truck. I have been present when the LWF guys come check for filled out permits and possession of a hunting or fishing license (required to use the ranges), and issued tickets when permits were not filled out prior to use. It's far from perfect but it's what we have to use

I think the fine is up there 350.00 or so?

Top Bottom