Woman fights to run for city council despite not speaking English proficiently

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    America became great because people began life deserving nothing, and earned the right to have.

America is becoming a shadow of its former self because people begin life feeling as though they deserve everything and work only to re-enforce that belief rather than to actualize it.

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Saw this in the comments of the link, and enjoyed it.

1. Teaching Math In 1980s A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1990s A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

3. Teaching Math In 2000s A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your ssignment: Underline the number 20.

4. Teaching Math In 2010s A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's o.k.)

5. Teaching Math In 2020 Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This imbicile is a Louisiana Legislator! Not much difference.
    personid_4d09b6a449e51b2267520000_7a0a24626034e295093bc442f0894d0c.jpg

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    In general, I tend to think this should be the land of the free. I don't think there should be a "national language" for the USA. People should be allowed to speak whatever they want. People should elect who they want to represent them.... that being said, as a practical mater, I think it is imperative that our government should be served by people who are fluent in English. It's bad enough that our leaders don't have or spend the time to read the bills they vote on, but I don't want someone in office who can't understand the laws they are voting on. I also don't want them writing laws that the rest of congress can't read.

This being a local election, it might not have the impacts I am concerned about.

dyslexiateechur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    People should be allowed to speak whatever they want.

I don't disagree with you on this. What I have a problem with is the fact that people seem to think that we should be forced to learn their language instead of the other way around.

I used to be fluent in Spanish. I say "used to be" because I haven't really spoken it conversationally in 12 years because I got tired of that mentality.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Borders, language, and culture. This is what most defines a nation.

Yes, she should master the English Language. It is the language of the land- "official" or not.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    People can speak Swahili or Pig Latin or whatever they choose to, in their own circles as a SECONDARY language as far as I'm concerned.

When dealing with the government of the United States of America, you communicate in ENGLISH. No ifs, ands or buts.

Make ENGLISH the OFFICIAL language. This doesn't prevent you as an individual from expressing yourself in any language you want, but you must abide by a common, mutually agreed upon way of communication when dealing with official matters.

What if the US government decided that hey, PESOS are legal tender to pay debts in the US, would you be ok with that?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    People should be allowed to speak whatever they want.

Thats fine, I dont care what people speak on their time, but if you cant past a driving test in english, you shouldn't be driving. If you cant read the constitution, or the ballot, you shouldnt be voting, and if you cant fluently speak the language that is most common in our government, how can you expect to get things done? If you cant get **** done, you shouldn't be allowed in office.

Top Bottom