Woman shoots herself at Lafayette (Ind.) gun range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Now this...
    http://wlfi.com/2015/07/25/woman-shoots-herself-at-indoor-shooting-range/
    LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) – Lafayette police are investigating an apparent suicide at a gun range on Olympia Drive.

Police said around 3:45 p.m. Saturday, a woman went into Applied Ballistics Indoor Shooting Range, rented a gun and shot herself.

The woman was taken to St. Elizabeth East Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Police said they reviewed the surveillance camera footage of the incident and are calling it a suicide.

News 18 spoke with Vincent Andrews, a five-year member of the gun range, who said he was shocked by the incident due to the number of safety precautions taken by the business.

He said the range does an excellent job with gun safety and gun safety training. Andrews said that before someone can even rent a gun the range requires the completion of a gun safety training course.

LPD has not released the woman’s name and is still investigating. No one else was injured during the incident.

The business was closed Sunday. It has said when it plans to reopen.

However, the business posted a statement to their Facebook page after the incident:

“We at Applied Ballistics want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support…We are not yet in a position to discuss the incident, but we want to thank the Lafayette Police Department and the Tippecanoe Emergency Ambulance Service for their prompt and professional response.”

Last edited by a moderator:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Read this story today.

They are talking background checks to rent a firearm because of this. Apparently she wasn't legally able to possess a firearm.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    Read this story today.

They are talking background checks to rent a firearm because of this. Apparently she wasn't legally able to possess a firearm.

Then why would she go rent one.If she isnt legal to own a firearm,she could have gotten one
    off the street way faster and wayyy easier.

"He said the range does an excellent job with gun safety and gun safety training. Andrews said that before someone can even rent a gun the range requires the completion of a gun safety training course."

That must be one hell of a training course.SHe went in,took course,shot self in 16 mins.Hmmm Im thinking a training course for 3 minutes
    involving" Dont point it at anyone," " Make sure its unl;oaded when your done" is not a effecient or sufficient training course:(

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Then why would she go rent one.If she isnt legal to own a firearm,she could have gotten one
    off the street way faster and wayyy easier.

"He said the range does an excellent job with gun safety and gun safety training. Andrews said that before someone can even rent a gun the range requires the completion of a gun safety training course."

That must be one hell of a training course.SHe went in,took course,shot self in 16 mins.Hmmm Im thinking a training course for 3 minutes
    involving" Dont point it at anyone," " Make sure its unl;oaded when your done" is not a effecient or sufficient training course:(

I honestly don't know.

She did what she did and only she knows why.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Sucks to be that gun range. If she wanted to off herself she would have done it there or anywhere else that made it convenient and there was likely no stopping it, just a shame she f'ed up the day of many other people. Kinda like the idiots involved in murder/suicides, why not just off yourself and leave others alone?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sucks to be that gun range. If she wanted to off herself she would have done it there or anywhere else that made it convenient and there was likely no stopping it, just a shame she f'ed up the day of many other people. Kinda like the idiots involved in murder/suicides, why not just off yourself and leave others alone?

I would have finished my range time! :p

Really though, f**k these people!

At least she wasn't half-assing her suicide! I hate when attention whores do that!

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    As tragic as this is, this isn't the first time this has happened. I'm willing to bet it happens a lot more than we think, It's just not news worthy.
    We do not know the circumstances as to why this person did what they did. It's a shame the demons she may have been dealing with have won.

About 3 years ago at another local range, the same thing happened, an older gentleman maybe late 60's came in and did the same thing. if I'm not mistaken he just lost his wife of 40+ years. As he was waiting for his turn to come up, He did the safety briefing, waiver, ETC. He even talked with some of the regulars for a little while. His turn came up, he went in shot most of his box of ammo, then he shot himself.

I know a couple people that have wanted to commit suicide, until you have dealt with someone that want to do this, weather it's Mental, Physical or just a long run of vary bad luck . You don't realize the demons they are dealing with.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Demons or not, if you're going to commit suicide, don't harm others in the process.

*Disclaimer: I do not condone suicide, but if you're stupid enough to try it, you aren't hurting my feelings*

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Plenty of stories like this from vegas 24hr ranges. Gamble life savings away, take your last $20 to the range.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

She committed suicide. How is this in any way the result of an inadequate training course? If anything, I'd say they seem to have covered operation pretty well.

Top Bottom