Working Rottweilers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Since they fell out of favor in Law Enforcement they have been very scarce. Overbreeding fairly well ruined most of the American Lines.

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I am purchasing a male pup in April from Good ADRK working German lines and am having him trained in obedience and personal protection , but am looking possibly into Schutzhund. It is hard to find a club in my area. Just thinking maybe someone here had some experience.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    For personal protection or guard dog I would consider one of these.

Bullmastiff, Boerboel, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Rotties are real cool dogs and, I understand the German Rots are much closer to correct than the ones we have over here. I'm interested in the Belgian Malinois' - they really look sharp.

If anyone has any info on Schutzhund training / events, I am really interested. But, I have been unable to track anyone down who does them. Not trying to hyjack the thread - just looking for a contact person / club.

Thanks,
    Marc Price

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I raise Rottweilers and have been doing so many years now.....a TRUE GERMAN ROTTWEILER in the United States would cost you well over 25K to obtain here....yes I do have 2 females now..... and one does have pedigree from German descent and that is about 4 generations back.....The German government has VERY HIGH standards on all German Breed DOGS......usually only about 2 in 10 are allowed to be register.....the remaining 8 are killed usually before age of 3 months! They have VERY HIGH STANDARDS!
    When I have a litter for sale I show the pedigrees of my Sire and Bitches, I do my very best to explain about the so called GERMAN BREED......
    NO matter what breeder you use and no matter what one tells you.....DO YOUR HOME WORK.......anyone can CLAIM they are selling GERAMN BREED dogs and 99.9% are NOT!! Also do NOT get caught up in the dogs name on registration papers......Fideaux VON HauseNdog does NOT make it GERMAN!! Do a pedigree trace! You can obtain this from the AKC!
    Also LEARN the breed before just jumping into an animal you know NOTHING about......yes the Rottweiler is one of the CUTEST lil pups you will ever see, BUT they are very demanding, they are a breed WORKING DOG.....they are active and they require a ass load of attention!

Males are BIG and STRONG, my last male was 145lbs...... they can hurt you when ONLY playing, they are great with kids as LONG AS PARENTS are watchful and responsible....females are somewhat smaller, mine both weigh in about 95 to 105 lbs depending on the time of year..
    Make a wise INFORMED decision before you purchase one!
    Normally you can find them from reputable breeders in this area and across the Country from $500 to $1500, talk to the breeders VISIT them check out there Kennels and stay away from puppy farms! They are bad news...... I breed for the love of the BREED, NOT the money! Breeding ANY quality large dogs are VERY EXPENSIVE and there is ZERO profit in doing so!!

If there is anything I can help with please let me know!

PS: PLease do NOT ask me about guard dog training schools......I do not participate in them and do not sell pups to ANYONE with GUARD DOG plans.....Obedience training is totally different!

KT

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    DVG America Schutzhund titles for Rottweilers are recognized by the AKC if you have a AKC Rottweiler it will show on its pedigree. Training and shows are another story. It will take a lot of driving, time,and money to have one trained and titled. I have done some research ,and DVG america is a good site. There is also the United Schutzhund Clubs of America. They are not recognized by the AKC, but there is a way to show in United Schutzhund Clubs of America and then finish in DVG to get an AKC recognized title. A dog does not have to be registered with any registry to earn a Schutzhund title. They say if the dog can do the work it can get the title. As far as I know there are no local clubs.

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I had 2 Rotties 20 years ago. had them till they died. This might not be the best pup or super expensive, but seems pretty good to me. All pure German working bloodlines.

Sires parents are Kliff von der Crossener Ranch BH, ZTP, SCHH/VPG III ADRK#115028(in Germany and is no longer living) X Ilka von der Haselau Pink papered German Import

Dams parents are Diesel Vom Flood UCI INT CH/AM CH (100% CH German ADRK blood) X Qualle Vom Erxespring UCI AM.CH MULTI V Rated HD-Frei ED-Frei Pink Papered German Import ADRK#117269

Out of the 8 great grand parents 5 are SchHIII/VPGIII ,1 is SchHII/VPGII 2 are SchHI/VPGI

Last edited:

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I raise Rottweilers...

Normally you can find them from reputable breeders in this area and across the Country from $500 to $1500,...I breed for the love of the BREED, NOT the money! Breeding ANY quality large dogs are VERY EXPENSIVE and there is ZERO profit in doing so!!

KT

If you're training, showing, eventing, hunting, and breeding dogs it's a long term, time intensive, expensive, sometimes heartbreaking proposition (I've had hounds, sight and scent, for years). I know legitimate breeders make basically nothing and purchasers who plan on doing the same (showing, etc) will soon realize that a $500 - 1500 price for a quality pup with a titled background is the cheapest money they will spend on it. Even as an owner handler / exhibitor it's easy to go thru the price of the pup pretty quickly when it comes to entries, gas, lodging, and on, and on...

Oh yes, I did not mean to sound like I was looking for "Guard Dog Schools". Rather, wondering if there are any working dog CLUBS that train locally.

MP

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    We have had nothing but Weimaraners. Excellent dogs & very intelligent. All of them were naturally protective of the whole family. Just another option. Rotties are great dogs.

philup

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    denhamsprings
    we own two Rotties one is American/German ckc reg. her name is sasha we did breed her one time but she is now fixed .. our other Rottie ava is 100% German akc reg. she comes from a great pedigree that can be researched .. we have people always wanting us to breed her but i dont think we are going to with her ... these are our pets they are nothing but big babies my wife loves these girls an spoils them ! ive only seen them get protective when it comes to the kids .. other then that their 100 plus pound lap dog !

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    we own two Rotties one is American/German ckc reg. her name is sasha we did breed her one time but she is now fixed .. our other Rottie ava is 100% German akc reg. she comes from a great pedigree that can be researched .. we have people always wanting us to breed her but i dont think we are going to with her ... these are our pets they are nothing but big babies my wife loves these girls an spoils them ! ive only seen them get protective when it comes to the kids .. other then that their 100 plus pound lap dog !

The ones I had previously were outside dogs. The new one is going to be a house dog. I never had any problems with the others at all. the male was from AKC show lines the female was a SchHI working female I got her from a local Police officer friend of mine. I never bred them that's not what I was looking for. I just think they are a great breed. Who is your AKC female out of?

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    We have had nothing but Weimaraners. Excellent dogs & very intelligent. All of them were naturally protective of the whole family. Just another option. Rotties are great dogs.

A friend of mine has a Weimaraner. She is a very nice dog . Beautiful color and nice size. He says she is a big baby but very protective.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I own a pure blood line German shorthair pointer. Great dog for working. Protective of the family. Extremely smart and Easy to train. All around great dog.

Top Bottom